• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wife wants louder music

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As the title says, while boating today, my wife says we need louder music when in the water behind the boat. So, I guess i've been green lighted to get some tower speakers and amp.

Not being a sound guy, I have a few questions.
Are WetSounds the speakers you wish you would have gotten first? Or is JL or <insert your brand here> good enough and WetSounds are when you want to take your sound to 11?
Same goes for an amp brand?
My first upgrade will be just tower speakers, not the other speaker. But I do see adding a set for the better sound for driver in the future. Wondering if I should get a 2 channel amp, or by something bigger to hook speaker up to too?
If I put the Amp under the helm, do you run the power wires through the engine compartment and around??
Considering this eq "Wet Sounds 4 Band EQ w/ 3 zone control, talk back mic and AUX input" I like the idea of being able to help the kids while they are sking/surfing/etc. Anyone run this?
Lastly, is my Infinity HU PRV-315 going to be good enough? Any drawbacks?

Thanks for your help and guidance.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can only address the power run - try going through the aft end of your ski locker. Tuck/zip tie your cable wrap up under the lip of the compartment.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As the title says, while boating today, my wife says we need louder music when in the water behind the boat. So, I guess i've been green lighted to get some tower speakers and amp.

Not being a sound guy, I have a few questions.
Are WetSounds the speakers you wish you would have gotten first? Or is JL or <insert your brand here> good enough and WetSounds are when you want to take your sound to 11?
Same goes for an amp brand?
My first upgrade will be just tower speakers, not the other speaker. But I do see adding a set for the better sound for driver in the future. Wondering if I should get a 2 channel amp, or by something bigger to hook speaker up to too?
If I put the Amp under the helm, do you run the power wires through the engine compartment and around??
Considering this eq "Wet Sounds 4 Band EQ w/ 3 zone control, talk back mic and AUX input" I like the idea of being able to help the kids while they are sking/surfing/etc. Anyone run this?
Lastly, is my Infinity HU PRV-315 going to be good enough? Any drawbacks?

Thanks for your help and guidance.
Contact Odin at @Earmark Marine he will fix you up with a package deal to upgrade! I used him myself, we came up with a custom package that fit my needs. Search for my thread if you want to see.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wet Sounds are the top of the line, but you will pay for it. They are great products though. I cheeped out and just got two 8 inch kickers, amp, tower enclosures, and wiring kit from Rockville for $400 ish.

To answer your other questions I would ask what your long term goals are. If you are going to replace all the cockpit speakers eventually might as well get a amp that is capable of supporting that. That will also help with wiring/amp placement. If the towers are all you are going to do the battery compartment is the easier place to put the amp. At least for me. if you have a newer boat the swim deck controller is actually the head unit. It was pretty easy running RCAs from the swim deck to the bat compartment. If you are going to replace all the speakers, long term the helm compartment is probably the easier option. Also, if you have a newer boat they clipped and capped the RCA output hookups at the head unit, so you will need a new harness, $15 online.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat only has a HU in the helm. If I keep it, I'll run a remote back to the swim deck. Just not sure if I should do that or get something else.
Check out the fusion line. I replaced my HU and swim remote with fusion and have been extremely pleased. Fusion is what Yamaha is using for their ‘19 (I believe) and forward.

Fusion and JL are sealed and waterproof units. Can’t go wrong. Good luck and keep us posted!

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My advice is to pick your speakers and then match your amp. I also would give the towers their own dedicated amp.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Check out the fusion line. I replaced my HU and swim remote with fusion and have been extremely pleased. Fusion is what Yamaha is using for their ‘19 (I believe) and forward.

Fusion and JL are sealed and waterproof units. Can’t go wrong. Good luck and keep us posted!
AND with Fusion, the Bluetooth function actually works!

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya I’m pretty happy with my stock fusion head unit. I like to upgrade things but I can’t think of any reason to put anything different in to replace it.

Haycor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Great job! I have a 2015 212x and am looking to upgrade the sound as well. I want to add a sub and perhaps tower speakers as well. Not looking to be the loudest around just be able to clearly hear it while underway. Do you have any recommendations for this? Did you draw it out by chance on how you wired things? Thanks

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm not sure what your 2015 has for amps, but that's where you need to start. We have the stock Polk speakers with a 500w 4 channel amp powering 6 speakers (2 sets are in parallel) and it sounds pretty good and loud enough. I'm adding another pair of matching Polks to the mid-cabin to boost cockpit volume for cruising without pounding tunes to the bow - this way I can amp up the cockpit and keep the bow and stern lower while cruising, yet use bow and stern when floating.