• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winch Strap Rating

Mike Dumigan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Quick question
I joined a Stow and Launch at a new marina that does not allow power loading. My winch strap is looking like it will need to be replaced, especially if I need to crank the boat on the trailer more than I did in the past.
When selecting a replacement strap, does it need to be rated to carry the full weight of the boat? Will I need a strap rated at 3500 lbs or will a 1500-2000 lbs suffice?

Thanks

Back the trailer in another inch or two lower and you shouldn't need to power load. My original winch failed while pulling the boat out last year and the boat slid halfway off the trailer and hit the ramp. Bad day. It's all fixed now but that really sucked. I replaced the winch with a Fulton F2. It's more capacity than you will need and is MUCH better quality that what I had.

If they don't allow power loading, I'd give them the, "I'm a new member and don't know the history of this policy. Can you help me learn why this policy is in place?" line of questioning. Most likely they don't want power-loading because props will wash out the end of the ramp. Once they claim that is the definitive answer, ask go down the line of. Asking them what the difference is between power delivery between an I/O and a Jet Boat. They likely don't know, then seend a few moments educating them that "yes, a propeller delivers thrust 2-3 feet below the surface whereas a jet delivers thrust at the surface and doesn't disturb the bottom." Then ask them how a Jet can wash away the end of the dock?"

Ya may not get very far with that line of questioning, but it may get ya a good look from a self-proclaimed expert.

I never powerload except at one ramp where its the only option (and that ramp is a nightmare at low tide due to washout beyond the concrete). I really doubt that the higher output of the jets protects the bottom that much more.

Drop the trailer until the water is just lapping over the top of the fenders, and you can winch it on no problem.

Yup... Back in further. You really don't want to drag your boat a long way over your bunks.

I’d go with the highest capacity winch strap available that would fit my existing winch. Here are a few screen shots from etrailer.com. The first has just three of the straps available with 5k lbs. being the highest stand alone strap capacity I saw (but I didn’t look at all 17 pages many of which contained new winches and towing straps), the strap with an additional loop at the end is what I use for my waverunners since they do not have a traditional bow eye but instead have a hull colored handle. Price wise there is only a small increase in price between the 5k lbs. capacity strap and other straps with less capacity. Note: the 5k strap is 3” wide whereas the 2,600 strap is 2” wide.
E41B1BBD-59E5-41C5-A66F-2ED2361EE1C6.png
I have been using the F2 2 speed winch pictured with no issues at all. I almost never use the second speed, usually just to test that it still works once a year or so. That said, and as other have mentioned I think you are better off repositioning your trailer during recovery so that you don’t have to winch as much v. Upgrading to a beefier winch strap so that you can drag your boat up the trailers bunk boards with less fear of the strap breaking. at some point something has to give, either the strap ($), the winch ($$) or the hull surrounding the bow eye ($$$$$).
6A597EBA-8CBB-4307-B76F-2B21C451C50E.png
I’ve found that on most ramps the angle is such that if i back the trailer in until the fenders are completely but just under water is the best position for me to recover the boat whether I’m power loading or hand loading. Too much farther in and the stern of the boat can drift outside of the bunks scope (trailer guides can prevent this from happening but only if they are long enough, the deep the trailer goes the deeper the trailer guides go). On the other end if you don’t back the trailer in enough you will have to winch a lot more to get your boat up to the bow stop.

Finally, after power loading for years in conjunction with a boat buddy ii and ramp n clamp I think power loading is the way to go so if I were in your situation @Mike Dumigan , I would still power load whenever I could. Sure they have a rule or policy against it but if it’s not enforced ...?

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Back