• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Winter Storage, Inside or Out (in Ohio)

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I currently have paid for a covered lift slip at our lake about an hour away from home. I have been told by the owner that I am more than welcome to leave my boat there over the winter at no extra charge. It would be outside but outof the water and under roof. They have security cameras on site but it is still some what sucluded. From a theft standpoint I would feel about 75% safe.

OR

I can take it to the same place I stored it last year which is indoors (not heated). It is a clean secure place but will cost around $400-$500 to store it there November through end of March.

Do I save the cash and risk something happening to the boat being outside an hour away or spend the money and sleep well all winter knowing she is safe?

Thanks in advance for your helpful insight!

Please do not count this as a winterization question.... it's still way to early for that!!

For me, peace of mind is everything and I know lots of people store there boats outside but....I still would be happier knowing my boat is indoors. I pay $280.00 from Oct 1st to April 30th.

If you already have insurance and theft is included then leave it as is. If not you can get insurance at the same price it would cost to store indoors then leave it as is. Or just store indoors and not worry.

I would store indoors to keep it out of the snow and ice. Unnecessary wear and tear on your boat.

For me, peace of mind is everything and I know lots of people store there boats outside but....I still would be happier knowing my boat is indoors. I pay $280.00 from Oct 1st to April 30th.
Dang...where can I find that rate? That is a deal.

Will snow get on it under the roof it will be under. If Yes, then go indoors. If you are sure NO, then I'd probably leave it there. The only other question I'd have would be birds....but not many big ones in Ohio that would sit on the boat. I'd probably double cover it and leave it in its slip if Snow/ice won't get on it.

The transom hangs out a about a foot. Yes blowing snow could make its way under the roof rater easily but I could not imagine it accumulating much, if at all. After asking this question I just remembered about an issue the owner said they had last year. Something along the lines of an ice dam under the channel bridge which caused the harbor water level to rise. Said it wasn't an issue but who knows. That lake freezes over every year.
Thanks for jogging my memory, since I have the option I believe putting it indoors will be the way to go.

Go indoors! The freeze thaw cycles, wind driven snow/rain and wind on the cover are not good. $500 will buy good peace of mind and no wear and tear in the elements. Ya'll are in for another Arctic blast.

So you'd winterize it while on the lift?

I'd take it indoors.

For me to be able to sleep, I would have to put it indoors lol.

Yea.. Never thought about the wear and tear on the cover. If I would have to buy a new cover due to it sitting outside, I would be out more than the cost of storage. That seems like the route to go.

http://www.kentuckyunderground.com/boat_rv_storage.html

I store my boat here and its $3 a foot per month. It's great because it's way back in a cave and stays a constant temp all winter and I don't have to worry about birds or winterization or anything like that and its 100% secure. The only downside is once its in you can't get it out and do work on it during winter if you want to.

I can tell you from numerous boats I have owned and those of friends boats that have been stored indoors...that they will hold their value well past the amount you spend in storage, if you take good care of them, keep records, and keep them out of the sun and climate changes. It is like @Murf'n'surf said, those heat ups and freeze ups really take a toll on the vinyl, carpets, seals, hull gelcoat, even the security of the hull integrity if it has any voids, can delaminate more rapidly with all that change. It will show much better and stay that way longer if kept indoors. And I seriously think that a boat 10 seasons old will bring easily $4000 less than a boat stored indoors. There will be those that argue this, but it is justification, not a true argument. That is like saying a boat rode hard and put away wet is worth the same as a boat stored indoors and never used. They aren't the same, and storing indoors will reap rewards. Fashion yourself some kind of cover that always protects the back of your boat that sticks out of the slip, so that you don't have any UV damage or fading back there during the season.

Back