• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wood for fireplace...how I stay fit

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have a nice high efficiency wood burning fireplace that can heat the whole ground floor. So I am always gathering and splitting logs (have a log splitter). The house behind us felled a couple of trees and said I could have the wood, so I've been chain sawing and wheel barrowing logs through the ravine. Exercise to get me in shape for wake surfing!
20140308_145535.jpg

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That will get anybody into shape!! But the payoff of a warm home at almost zero cost is well worth it.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cutting wood is hard work!! I have been clearing an area for a while now. I bet you can't tell what I was doing right before this pic was taken!400663_10202439071553619_1000315675_n.jpg

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yup lots of work. Here is what I use every winter. Need to move about 150' and load through basement window and stack. Just installed a couple of ductless mini split heat exchangers. These things are so effecient and heat so well I will probably burn less next year.005.JPG cie

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I spent all morning yesterday with a neighbor wheel barrowing more wood from another neighbors yard.....needed the advil this morning!!!

And I re-lit the fireplace yesterday evening as it got cold here again.....

@eastcoaster how many cords is that?? I probably burned 1.5 cords this winter here in NC....which is a lot!

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Julian that is 4 cord. My house is a little under 3000 sq ft and really well insulated. I can usually heat the place for the winter on 4 cord using my wood stove in the basement, but not this year. I just ran out over the weekend and it is 12 today!

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I split wood to stay in shape too! Not for home yet, maybe by winter I can get one put in at home. This is for camp fires.

Attachments

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
so...I guess my beer belly can be blamed on my gas fireplace....lol

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Dough holy smokes!! You be doin' it old school with the axe !! Now that's a work out!!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I started with an axe and maul, then found a splitter on Craiglist! Sure got lots of exercise with that maul, but I would never have been able to split some of the logs I've split with the 22 ton splitter! I split half a cord of wood on Saturday! One more cord, and I'll have my stock back up to enough for next winter (4 cords).

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where do you find the time???? Your wife must let you do what you gotta do without a song and dance.....

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have been using a wood burning stove for the last three years and it has been great. The stove is in my finished basement, but heats up the whole house. I have it pretty lucky because a tree cutting services drops off oak trees in my driveway when they cut them down. I just have to cut it up in my lengths and use my splitter.

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
jdiaz that is a sweet deal. Im paying $185 a a cord in 8 ft lengths or $225 cut and split

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Where do you find the time???? Your wife must let you do what you gotta do without a song and dance.....
She like the wood burning high efficiency fire place perhaps more than I do! Keeps the house nice and toasty! I probably spent 3-4 hours splitting wood...like a double gym trip.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yup, no splitter for me! Just for the campfire though.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
She like the wood burning high efficiency fire place perhaps more than I do! Keeps the house nice and toasty! I probably spent 3-4 hours splitting wood...like a double gym trip.
Nice! I wish my wife enjoyed how the outside of the house looked. I'm always racing to get the yard work done but I could spend 16 hours a weekend outside. I enjoy working around the outside.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Both my wife and I enjoy working in the yard and gardening....but we're a little challenged learning what works here in Raleigh as the herds of deer eat pretty much anything......had planned to put some deer fencing in over the winter, but didn't get around to it. Now skylights are priority #1.... and boating season will begin soon! :)