• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Would you buy a jet offshore boat?

Would you buy a offshore speed boat?

• No way!

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Maybe used down the road.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Probably, depending on price/features.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Absolutely! I want to pay you to buid one for me at any expense!

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Simple as that! If Yamaha or Scarab offered a 25'-30' boat with something like 400 plus horsepower meant to go on rougher seas/bigger lakes, and have a small cuddy, would you buy it?
I am talking something like Baja, Wellcraft Scarab, Donzi etc.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I went with the "maybe used" option. Would be way out of my budget, and needs, at this point. At some point, I do hope to have the need portion, and hopefully the finances follow along.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not at this point in my life. The cuddy takes up way too much valuable room from the kiddies. When I was in my 20's - sure - who wouldn't want a "love boat".

Smoother riding boat is always a plus. Cobalts are the smoothest, softest riding runabouts I've ever been in, regardless of size!

And the speed thing is over rated. My buddy has a 75 mph Crownline. You don't dare take a swig of beer at those speeds without chipping a tooth on the bottle! I'm perfectly content with my 55mph dog.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Probably not would be my answer. Had a boat with a cuddy before, and it was just a big closet - I can't see a 25-30' boat with the same beam (trailerable) being big enough for a cuddy that is useable. Once you increase the beam and it means permits to trailer, I'm out of the market.

A 27' open bow with a nice size head/changing room would be fun though.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The bow space is rarely used under way on our boat. If the water is rough it is so much more comfortable to be behind the windshields.

With the additional length I believe it would be possible to comfortably seat 12 behind the windshields. The bow area could be used for a small cabin with a layout / fishing area above. The cabin would provide space for storage, food prep, a larger fridge, shelter for the kids and privacy for date nights. I believe it would be rare that we would actually try to sleep in it.

This would be perfect for my family. A fun, shallow draft boat that we can enjoy on the local lakes and have a little more boat for Bimini.

When I start shopping for our next boat the Scarab 255 will be high on the list. This type of boat would be even higher.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If you going for a boat of that nature, you lose the attraction of the jets in my opinion. I mean, why reinvent the prop?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I guess i can shed light on how i look at it now that a few have posted.
We do a good bit of boating on lake michigan. This lake can get rough fast. It is typical to have 2' chop and my 21' boat has had it's share of "fun" out there. There is a ton to do on the great lakes but it requires a bigger boat!

We also boat (or used to, they got divorced) with my sister and brother in law that have a 25' Baja. I will tell you that when it came to nap time, there is nothing better than the kids going down into the cuddy and putting them into a bed. They have also spent a night or two on their cuddy while away and out on the lake for a fun long weekend.

The difference in hull design makes for an awesome boat in rougher waters as well. Great for that Bahamas trip!

But why jet? Safety of no prop for starters. Safety in simplicity as well. Also, the draft is awesome. Taking a longer boat into shallower waters is only possible with a jet. My local little lake that we hang out at is at max 12' deep and there are some sketchy areas. Also consider reefs and such in ocean waters.

Once my kids are a bit older, we will see what is more fun for them: wake sports and smooth water hanging out, or big water cruising and exploring the great lakes.

As for speed, i just love it, but if it was just speed i want, i would have kept my 65mph Exciter

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would give up 10 mph for 6 more feet.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I will mention that my garage plans may be getting modified to accommodate a 30' boat. All depends on my wife negotiations.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm all about fresh water and the intracoastal... I almost never see open ocean, so I just have no need for a boat that size.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I wanna know who wants me to build one at any expense! Send me the money and i will get started!

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No cuddy, but I would seriously look at a 24 foot center console that I could take nearshore and maybe even 40-60 on a nice day....

Steve & Heidi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Simple as that! If Yamaha or Scarab offered a 25'-30' boat with something like 400 plus horsepower meant to go on rougher seas/bigger lakes, and have a small cuddy, would you buy it?
I am talking something like Baja, Wellcraft Scarab, Donzi etc.
Speeding: our Key West boat will be a 33 ft Dusky with twin Yami 300s. Oh yeah 55 mph and draws 30 inches full down. The only shark that kills a Great White is a DUSKY!