• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

WP's Dock Box Drama/Entertainment

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The situation: My first year as an occupant in a nice covered slip + lift at the local marina. Aside from delays getting my lift in, everything has gone smoothly so far. The previous owner left a dock box, which I was happy to take over. I verified verbally that this dock box now belongs to me.

For the record ... the dock box faces my boat. I.e. the latch hardware, padlock, and box face my boat. Clarifying further: when the lid is opened, the topside of the lid faces the neighboring slip. It sits on the end of the starboard dock "finger" right next to my swim deck when the boat is in the slip. This is the "standard" for dock boxes in this marina, and dock boxes (or any bolted hardware) must be installed by the marina.

Once I was told that the dock box belongs to me when I took over the slip on April 15th, I spent about an hour removing/pitching a bunch of crap (old cracked/deflated fenders) and a ton of spider nests/bugs, and promptly filled it up with my stuff.

I get a call today (almost two months after taking over the slip) from the marina office manager stating that the box is apparently owned by the neighboring slip. The guy was wondering why "his" dock box was locked.

I believe his call surprised the office manager, but apparently he was convincing(?) because she called me with two options: 1. buy a new box from their store for $400, or 2. Buy the box from the supposed "rightful" owner who really doesn't want it anyway for $250.

I voiced my confusion and frustration, as professionally as possible. I feel pretty bad about the situation, if in fact it does belong to the slip next to me. I have invaded his space and property (and threw some of it away!) and I do not feel good about that. Regardless ... I don't feel like I should have to purchase a box that has been given to me by the "landlord," and I truly believe that it is actually my box based on the "standard installation" specifications that the marina has set. This is a marina issue to solve and I believe their ignorance in inventory should be handled at their expense. Then again, this is a marina with a tremendous monopolistic advantage; there are no other marinas on or allowed on this lake (an Army Corps lake)...

After voicing my confusion and frustration, the office manager stated that they were going to investigate further and will get back to me tomorrow.

Fun.

I wonder if the Marina may have created the situation to extort you?

This is a "Suntex" marina (http://suntexmarinas.com), which I believe is a fairly reputable organization. I have a good relationship with the office manager and have always been treated fairly and kindly in the past. That doesn't mean much though I suppose... think "advanced persistent threat" in the IT Security industry. I have confidence in the marina though. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

<edited a couple of times for clarity and wine-induced mistakes>

Last edited:
Sounds like the guy is willing to forgive and forget for $250. If the box is in good shape I say take it, assuming he does actually own it. Pitching his stuff is the marina's problem so I wouldn't feel bad about that.

Another thought ... perhaps the slip owners next to us are manipulating the incredibly kind office manager. Who knows. Hopefully will get some answers tomorrow.

Dock boxes aren't cheap....I think I'd say to the marina...."you told me it was mine, now you realize you gave me someone else's property? Not good. But I'm happy to help you out of your predicament and split the cost he's asking US to pay for the box -$125 each"

I'm in agreement with @Julian , if the marina said it was yours, I feel it's yours. You could cause a lot of problems and a scene, and let the marina deal with it. Or just offer to split it and make the issue go away. I would not pay for a new box for the other person and I would not buy it from him fully. If they are willing to split the 250 that sounds fair..

I like the idea of having the marina split the cost ... I may push it in that direction. Thanks for the suggestions guys...

Key point is you are not at fault here so don't get guilted into anything.

Can he "prove" that the box is his with some paperwork. This sounds fishy. cam.

An acceptable but not very exciting outcome has been reached. It was proven that the dock box belongs to him (even if it is installed improperly) via a contract that he signed for the slip (he had the box written in). I failed to do this, as I purchased the slip blindly and didn't know about any dock boxes. Once I moved in to the slip, the dock box was "verbally" granted to me with the marina making an assumption that it belonged to me. The marina admitted fault, and offered me a heavily discounted new dock box for my slip. I accepted that. So, all is well!

That seems fair and reasonable. Glad it worked out!

Man I need a dock box, just wish it wasn't such a long drive or I'd but the used one!

Back