• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Yamaha 210 FSH with exhaust leak - took forever to diagnose

Cowboy14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My 210 FSH has been at the dealer for over 5 weeks waiting for a warranty coverage decision from Yamaha? The port side motor had an exhaust leak that was causing it to be starved for oxygen on both motors. No one could figure out what it was. I could not get full throttle out of either motor and it was a sudden loss while out on the lake after only 12 hours of usage. I was convinced it was a clogged impeller, then bad gas etc.... But nothing panned out. The dealer is swamped with repairs and I took the boat out to try and run the bad gas down I suspected. But after burning off about 15 gallons at idle, I opened the engine bay and poof it took off and ran at full throttle as long as the compartment was open. Returned it with diagnosis in hand and they assured me that they would get a warranty claim started with Yamaha. The port side exhaust waterbox is melted from excessive exhaust leaked heat. I'm obviously not happy with Yamaha's delayed response to the warranty request since it is completely obvious that it was not installed correctly or secured at the factory. It should not take 5 weeks to make a decision like this. I am sure by the time I get the verdict and get it repaired, it will be too cold to use the boat. First time Yamaha boat owner and not impressed with QC or warranty program. In fairness, I am not talking to Yamaha, so this could all be dealer ass dragging too.

My 210 FSH has been at the dealer for over 5 weeks waiting for a warranty coverage decision from Yamaha? The port side motor had an exhaust leak that was causing it to be starved for oxygen on both motors. No one could figure out what it was. I could not get full throttle out of either motor and it was a sudden loss while out on the lake after only 12 hours of usage. I was convinced it was a clogged impeller, then bad gas etc.... But nothing panned out. The dealer is swamped with repairs and I took the boat out to try and run the bad gas down I suspected. But after burning off about 15 gallons at idle, I opened the engine bay and poof it took off and ran at full throttle as long as the compartment was open. Returned it with diagnosis in hand and they assured me that they would get a warranty claim started with Yamaha. The port side exhaust waterbox is melted from excessive exhaust leaked heat. I'm obviously not happy with Yamaha's delayed response to the warranty request since it is completely obvious that it was not installed correctly or secured at the factory. It should not take 5 weeks to make a decision like this. I am sure by the time I get the verdict and get it repaired, it will be too cold to use the boat. First time Yamaha boat owner and not impressed with QC or warranty program. In fairness, I am not talking to Yamaha, so this could all be dealer ass dragging too.
I would contact Yamaha directly

Moved this to its own thread vs buried in a thread on CO poisoning.

I would contact Yamaha directly
I am thinking about doing that. I assume it will have to be customer relations? They show very little in the way of clear contact info in their site.

Just took my 22 FSH 210 out for its maiden voyage today and had the same problem. First time operating the boat so was going through the break in period beyond what the dealer had done. Got about a mile off the dock and the wife opens the port pass through door and smoke is just rolling out the door. I am assuming im doing something wrong now so I come to idle and both the motors die, get them started again and the second I advance throttle the motors stall. Either way, after some troubleshooting on the water I figure keeping the engine bay door open I can inch it back to the dock and that's where I pulled off the back exhaust cover and the port engine exhaust ducting is completely loose and the portion it connects to on the stern is completely melted so can't make the repair and pull it out of the water. Have to call the dealer tomorrow to get the service scheduled and really hope they have the parts.

Yep, exact same defective install as mine last year. It took 6 months to get mine fixed (covid, supply chain, manpower at the dealership) and that meant I missed using the boat the entire first summer of ownership. I lobbied Yamaha for a 1 year extension on my warranty. They directed me back to my dealer to do the lobbying for me and I got a 1 year extension on just the engines. So, I have this year to try and find anything else they did during the manufacturing and assembly process that was half assed. Hopefully nothing else Is wrong.

Back