• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 242 docking lights

Clayton Danyew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone had to replace their docking lights on their 242? One of mine isn't working, hoping it's a simple bulb replacement. Any insight or help would be appreciated.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone had to replace their docking lights on their 242? One of mine isn't working, hoping it's a simple bulb replacement. Any insight or help would be appreciated.
One of mine was replaced under warranty.....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Clayton Danyew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

For anyone who cares...I was able to fix it. Piece of cake. There's 4 screws that hold on the exterior cover, pull that off. Then just pull the bulb out. I got replacement bulbs at home Depot, three for $10. Plug it in, replace the cover, put the screws back and you're all set. When I pulled it out it seemed pretty corroded/rusted and I was worried it didn't work anymore but it was fine, just cosmetic. The replacement light housing is about $80. Thankfully it was just the bulb, quick fix.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Now I'm going to have to check mine. You have me worried that they are not well sealed. Add this to the preventative maintenance schedule.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You have me curious. I’ve never had a problem with my lights but only turn them on to test them every few months during the season. Did you see or consider any led replacements? One thing I observed about my lights is that when I turn them on there is a temporary but noticeable power surge in the stereo, it just cuts out for a second, maybe leds would stop that. Wait a minute, I just reread what I wrote and realize that I’m just trying to justify buying or trying an upgrade that I don’t need, that is low power usage bulbs so the stereo doesn’t cut out during the 2 or 3times I test them during the year because it’s cheap. Uh, my name is Ron and I’m addicted to spending way too much time and money on my boat.

On a serious note, please post a pic of the bulb and let us know the mfg and model number. There are a lot or 242 Ls out there, sooner or later they will all need bulbs, I see no reason to overpay Yamaha for selling me a bulb they don’t even produce. Speaking/typing of which aren’t some LEDs warranted for life? When you reassembled it did you seal it with silicone or just leave as is? I know it’s a cheap fix but it’s not something I would want to do on a recurring basis especially if a bead of silicone is all it would take to prevent it.

Clayton Danyew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Now I'm going to have to check mine. You have me worried that they are not well sealed. Add this to the preventative maintenance schedule.
They're sealed pretty well actually. Big seal on the outer casing piece, then another seal if you continue to remove the light housing.

Clayton Danyew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You have me curious. I’ve never had a problem with my lights but only turn them on to test them every few months during the season. Did you see or consider any led replacements? One thing I observed about my lights is that when I turn them on there is a temporary but noticeable power surge in the stereo, it just cuts out for a second, maybe leds would stop that. Wait a minute, I just reread what I wrote and realize that I’m just trying to justify buying or trying an upgrade that I don’t need, that is low power usage bulbs so the stereo doesn’t cut out during the 2 or 3times I test them during the year because it’s cheap. Uh, my name is Ron and I’m addicted to spending way too much time and money on my boat.

On a serious note, please post a pic of the bulb and let us know the mfg and model number. There are a lot or 242 Ls out there, sooner or later they will all need bulbs, I see no reason to overpay Yamaha for selling me a bulb they don’t even produce. Speaking/typing of which aren’t some LEDs warranted for life? When you reassembled it did you seal it with silicone or just leave as is? I know it’s a cheap fix but it’s not something I would want to do on a recurring basis especially if a bead of silicone is all it would take to prevent it.
I did not consider LED replacements. I only use them a few times a year and already spend enough money on my boat. Hi Ron, I'm Clay and I too am addicted to spending way to much time and money on my boat. Step 1... Admitting you have a problem.

I have not noticed a surge in the stereo when I turn on the docking lights. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

I'm attaching a pic of the bulbs I got. $10 for a 3 pack at home Depot. I'm sure there's a ton of different variations you can get, just have to make sure it has the pin connections. Definitely a do it yourself fix as I'm sure a shop would charge you at least $50 per light. There are already two pretty big seals in the lighting assembly so I didn't bother with silicone. Always an option though. Maybe I'll go add a bit just to be safe. Literally takes 3 minutes to disassemble, probably the easiest fix I've done so far, wish everything I did on my boat was this easy. Screenshot_20180420-071942_Chrome.jpg

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One thing I observed about my lights is that when I turn them on there is a temporary but noticeable power surge in the stereo, it just cuts out for a second, maybe leds would stop that.
Finally, someone else who has the same problem when they turn on the docking lights. I brought this up a couple months ago and the consensus responses were I had an electrical problem (no kidding). The radio shuts down and resets everytime I hit the docking light switch (grandkids love to push buttons). Now seeing what bulbs are used (Haologen) I’m not surprised.

I’m going to order the LED’s listed above and report what happens.

Last edited:

Clayton Danyew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Finally, someone else to has the same problem when they turn on the docking lights. I brought this up a couple months ago and the consensus responses were I had an electrical problem (no kidding). The radio shuts down and resets everytime I hit the docking light switch (grandkids love to push buttons). Now seeing what bulbs are used (Haologen) I’m not surprised.

I’m going to order the LED’s listed above and report what happens.
I have a pretty massive stereo, and haven't had this problem. I DO have two deep cycle batteries for the House though so maybe i have enough juice for everything. Definitely report back if this fixes the problem, i am sure there are plenty of people who would benefit from knowing this info. If it helps you, i may just switch over to LED regardless.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Problem solved!!:winkingthumbsup" I finally had time today to install and test the new Superbrite LED lights from www.superbriteleds.com in my docking lights. The replacement of the factory halogen bulbs took 5 minutes and the new LED’s not only work fine, they don’t draw start up current like the halogen’s and my radio no longer shuts down and restarts when I turn on the docking light switch. I did look at local sources, but no one had a 60 equivalent LED in the MR16 style so I ordered them online. Easy Peesy. I haven’t tried them at night yet but 685 lumens x2 should be plenty for night docking.
D57342A7-53FF-487D-8BC4-688BBA0FB756.jpeg D0799C4B-C9F2-4A16-B1DB-EE29CC967A9A.jpeg 0239B4F3-256D-40B9-945D-8282A24AD048.jpeg 1A7AC3A8-7ED3-475F-B08D-C7BCE9A1BDCC.jpeg

Chris Jordan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello Folks. I just picked up my 2018 AR240, SUPER SWEET. I had a 2010 SX240 and loved it, but the new models are amazing.
I want to put docking lights on, like the Limited's have. But I don't want to pay Yamaha prices, $226.12 for the pair.
Anyone know if there's an aftermarket light that matched the design of the type that comes with the Limited?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats the old style, need to cut a big hole for them. The 15 and up use the Attwood

Chris Jordan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for your advice. Just bought the Attwood's and will be installing this weekend.