• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 800XL Losing Power

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry for the lack of details, but this is second hand from my Dad. He has a 2000 XL800. The thing has been a beast for us up until recently. He had it out this weekend and it ran fine for the trip, right up to the end. My Dad said when it would get above half throttle, maybe closer to 3/4, it would lose all power. It didn't sound like anything was stuck in the impeller, and it had the same gas that had been in it for the weekend. He said it would run fine at idle and up to that throttle point, but as soon as too much throttle was applied it would basically quit. I am going to meet him this week to take a look and test it for myself, but any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It could be starving for fuel. or it has an exhaust leak inside the hull choking it out at speed, usually that happens around 3/4 throttle but it won't shut off like you describe it just wont go faster than 3/4 throttle

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, (and thanks for the replies) from what he said it lost power but didn't die. As soon as they released the throttle it would be okay sibling as you kept it under roughly 3/4. How would we check for an exhaust leak?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In a car I would say it is fuel starved! When you pull back the throttles the fuel to air ratio is right and it runs fine again... there could have been trash in the tank that it picked up. What about fuel filter?

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got to see for myself the problem. Runs fine up to 5000 rpm (28-30mph). Between 5000-5500 it was hit or miss if it would have problems. At 6000 rpm it would lose all power. At that point I would let go of the throttle and it would be fine so long as you stayed at or under 5000 rpm.

I tried a simple solution and switched the fuel from "On" to "Reserve". It then ran fine for a couple of minutes before the problem resumed. Any thoughts?