• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha customer service rant!

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I'm ordering a extra rack for the tower while enjoying my morning bagel and wanted to confirm the diameter of the tower. After waiting about 15 minutes on the phone i finally get to talk with a customer service rep. She proceeds to "open a file" for my question. After asking if i've looked at the manual (at the bagel shop..so no!) and asking if i called the dealer (sorry...closed sunday and monday) she asks for my vin number before she can answer any questions. "really?? i say exasperated . i just have a generic question about the diameter of the tower. "there are no generic questions...and i will need to give the vin number. " What kind of policy and customer service is that....after spending $50K on a boat you think i would get a free stupid question once in a while. So maddening.....

I ended up with the 2 3/8 clamp hoping the forum answer was correct. (even though there were more than once size mentioned!)

You'd think that their Customer Service Reps would have a list of all of those sorts of specs! I wonder if they could answer what spark plug a model takes?

They were awesome for me when I was in Canada on vacation and needed a new key switch when it broke! They went all out to Fedex me one!

sure..kick a girl when she's down... @Julian i surprised you didn't add...."neener, neener, neener"!

Just call Comcast and talk to them for a few minutes, and you will never be upset with Yamaha service again!

@bobbie sorry.... :( But @ me when you confirm that measurement and I'll add it to the FAQ! Perhaps if I get enough dimensions & specs in there we can get Yamaha Service to start using the FAQ! :winkingthumbsup"
@bobbie , next time just ask us. You will likely have an answer and maybe a pic/recommendation in 5 mins, free.

@Ronnie I know..i know...but i thought i wouldn't be a pest. i did search the forums but there was some disagreement between diameter measurements.

I understand your frustration, but imagine if she gave you a wrong measurement. Manufacturers work from VIN numbers and any change etc to a spec will be from a certain number. The operative is probably office based with no real understanding of mechanics/engineering etc (but they should have) so not wanting to give you wrong information is covering herself.

It can be a PITA when a simple (to you) request is scuppered by meaningless questions, but this is what this forum is for, on the money info, friendly like minded people and an opportunity to share your queries.

Next time just tell them "I'm not in front of my computer and I don't have a smartphone - could you look on Jetboaters.net for me?"

@bobbie , I really don't think @Julian was trying to make sport of your issue with the tower diameter, I think he was just surprised that Yamaha Customer service couldn't help you directly.

VIN number are important because that identification will open the file on your EXACT boat within model and year, and account for any last minute changes/additions/deletions from the stock profile. Imagine your stock broker trying to answer questions about the products in your portfolio without being able to gain access to your account through your personnel VIN, or account number.......

That being said, when we were having trouble with Magic when she was new, they sent out Nick, who was in charge of the Western Region of "Boat Segment Customer Service." He met us at the lake, drove the boat around with us, confirmed the existence of a problem, ran the YDS software on the motors and reset them to factory specs, and replaced all the coils, spark plugs, and air filters right there on the water. He said it was easier just to replace everything at once in case there was a bad lot of coils/plugs instead of just an isolated part. He also said that it gets the problem fixed in the fastest way possible. He then bought us lunch at the restaurant for our trouble! So with THAT being said....umm..... "neener, neener, neener"! :p

*Edited to add: ."neener, neener, neener"!

Did you just say you were having a Bagel in a Store? On a cell Phone? Ordering something Fun? For your Boat?
.... On a normal work day????

..... And YOU are upset?..... About anything?

Just bringing the rant back down to reality here....

Lol

So I'm ordering a extra rack for the tower while enjoying my morning bagel and wanted to confirm the diameter of the tower. After waiting about 15 minutes on the phone i finally get to talk with a customer service rep. She proceeds to "open a file" for my question. After asking if i've looked at the manual (at the bagel shop..so no!) and asking if i called the dealer (sorry...closed sunday and monday) she asks for my vin number before she can answer any questions. "really?? i say exasperated . i just have a generic question about the diameter of the tower. "there are no generic questions...and i will need to give the vin number. " What kind of policy and customer service is that....after spending $50K on a boat you think i would get a free stupid question once in a while. So maddening.....

I ended up with the 2 3/8 clamp hoping the forum answer was correct. (even though there were more than once size mentioned!)

Not trying to put a wet blanket on the rant, but why didn't you just measure?

Probably like many of us....the boat isn't at the house.... Someday I'll do what 007 did and get a lake house! Then who needs racks...you store the boards in the dock boxes or behind the built in bar on the dock!!! :winkingthumbsup"

Probably like many of us....the boat isn't at the house.... Someday I'll do what 007 did and get a lake house! Then who needs racks...you store the boards in the dock boxes or behind the built in bar on the dock!!! :winkingthumbsup"

You're right...mine is in the backyard.

Untitled.jpg

Mine is in the barn! Only 10 minutes to the water...but on the water would be nice!
image.jpg

Back