• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Mooring Cover install directions

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Attached (thumbnails below) you will find the official directions on how to install your boat cover and even who to call if you have a problem with it.
Coverp1.JPG Coverp2.JPG
Laid out on the ground the webbing for the poles would look roughly like a large letter "X". In my case the top of "X" is white and goes towards the bow. The bottom of the "X" is black and goes towards the stern.
  • With your cover off and windshield closed lay the "X" over the top of the boat - and hook the white arms of the "X" to the most forward cleats - left arm of the "X" on the left (port) cleat and right arm of the "X" on the right (starboard) cleat.
  • Now, hook the bottom of the "X" arms to the rear cleats. Make sure all the straps are nice and straight - no twists. Also make sure the 2 plastic pieces are pointed down - that is, the hole that's designed to fit over the poles is facing down (if the poles aren't already in the holes. Don't snug the straps down yet - you still need some play in them. Also, make sure the windshield is closed and the strap is over the top of the closed center portion of the windshield.
  • Now, take the poles (if they aren't already attached to the lines) and put the shorter one in the front plastic piece and extend it to it's maximum height (using the little thumb button mechanism). Sometimes these poles get stuck inside each other and you may need to use pliers (gently - don't bend anything) to get them to slide apart. Now do likewise with the rear (longer pole). Extend it to maximum as well.
  • Make sure both poles are standing straight up (not leaning forward, back, right or left). This may take 3 or more people until you kind of get the hang of it.
  • Now, tighten the straps (the tighteners are located on the white section of the straps in some models or on the rear straps in other models) until everything is nice and snug and the poles are held firmly in place. By the way, the poles go rubber foot down.
  • Leave just enough slack so that you can stretch the straps to remove them each time (off the cleats) without ever having to play with the tension again.
  • Then place your cover over the top of those straps that are now snuggly held in place.
  • Properly fit this will prevent pooling during a rainstorm. If you don't have the straps tight enough, pools of rain will form, or if a big gust of wind comes along it may briefly cause enough slack in the system that the poles will become dislodged, fall over, and then rain will puddle.
  • Puddles on your cover will quickly reduce the life of the cover.
  • You should also treat your cover with one of the 303 fabric treatments or a product made by Scotch is also good.

When taking off the cover, start from the stern and roll it forward. Then when you go to put the cover on, you know to start at the bow and just roll backwards over the boat. I find it helpful to put a bungee on the cover once I've rolled it up so it doesn't unroll when people move it around.

Keywords: Mooring Cover Installation Anti pooling poles ratchet straps posts cleaning warranty

Last edited:

06c6z06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. These instruction are just like my other smaller vessel I had. Guess I will take the cover off and try and figure out the system. When I get it figured out, I will draw up a drawing and get back unless someone else has already done it. Thanks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

SkiYacht

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Wondering if anyone has had the same issue that I am having?...I have a brand new cover for my 2022 Yamaha SX190. Even with the boat perimeter strap (the one that is supposed to get tightened under the liner once the cover is on) completely loosened, there is not enough slack to attach the clips on both sides of the boat nor is there enough slack to close the velcro on both sides near the bimini. The ratchets on both sides of the boat are fully open and straps pulled out as far as possible. I have tried to find an extension for the clips (I think they are called trident clips) and would need approx. 6" - hoping that I could use the extension and that the cover would be more forgiving over time so that I can use the intended process to attach the clips and ratchet the cover strap tight on the boat.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wondering if anyone has had the same issue that I am having?...I have a brand new cover for my 2022 Yamaha SX190. Even with the boat perimeter strap (the one that is supposed to get tightened under the liner once the cover is on) completely loosened, there is not enough slack to attach the clips on both sides of the boat nor is there enough slack to close the velcro on both sides near the bimini. The ratchets on both sides of the boat are fully open and straps pulled out as far as possible. I have tried to find an extension for the clips (I think they are called trident clips) and would need approx. 6" - hoping that I could use the extension and that the cover would be more forgiving over time so that I can use the intended process to attach the clips and ratchet the cover strap tight on the boat.
I had the exact same problem with my mooring cover in the spring of last year. The band used to tighten the cover was about 6 inches short. Sent it back and received a new one with the same exact problem. Bought the same material used for the band at the fabric store and taped it to the existing band and pulled it through the cover. I then sewed the clips on and it works as intended. Kinda sucks to have to do this to a brand new cover but after having 2 of them with the same exect problem leads me to believe the it is a manufacturing error.

SkiYacht

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks for your reply. I'll probably try the same fix that you implemented. My previously unused cover was provided along with the used boat purchase and thus I can't return the cover for a new one. I was trying to find the same male and female trident clips that are currently on the cover so that I could simply add an extension, but, I have not been able to find them.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don’t think that will work unless you cut the material so that the clip would fit inside the material. The clip is bigger than the slot in the material. the problem is the band is not long enough