• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Mooring Covers

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What is the difference between the gray and black mooring covers offered by Yamaha. Is there a better cover on the market for less?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The Black is "Deluxe" while the Grey is not. From the Yamaha site:

The Deluxe Premium Tower Mooring Cover is made of Sur Last® BW+ and includes improvements over standard Sur Last®, including a new weave and surface treatments. It uses the same “solution dyed” filament polyester yarns, providing excellent UV fade resistance and dimensional stability. Also includes zippers around the mooring cleats to allow easier docking. Now, in addition, these covers also have the following features:
  • Weave is a balanced construction allowing for a tighter fabric, increasing its weight 15%. Weave increases its tensile and tear strength by 25% while adding more water repellency. Remains lightweight but with increased strength.
  • Face side surface has an enhanced durable water repellency treatment adding 50-60% more hydrostatic water resistance than any comparable fabric available.
  • Surface tension decreases so the water beads gather quicker to move off the cover faster. Repellency will last longer than the traditional treatment.
  • Urethane coating is non-abrasive to gel coat surface.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great. But how about the non deluxe? Any real world experience of one versus the other?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've only ever used the non-deluxe.....as they didn't have the deluxe available for my model. It lasts between 3-5 years depending on your use, and it helps to re-apply some waterproofing after 2-3 years of use. Not as easy to use if you have your boat in a slip as a bow and cockpit cover are (my opinion).

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian That is not completely true. Reference this post...https://jetboaters.net/threads/improved-yamaha-boat-cover-fabric.9319/

Commercial Sewing upgraded the grey cover material to the new BW+ fabric for 2016 for all covers now.

The Premium Deluxe covers have the new fabric but also upgraded hardware, etc. I just got my new cover for my 2007 model, in addition to the new fabric, it also has the new ratchet cover too.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Summers420us I got about 5 years out of my older model standard cover in the NC sun. Others have gotten better life up North... It is the best cover out there for our boats IMHO for trailering, custom fit, etc.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I bought my boat it came with the grey cover. I recently purchased the black one. I have found them to be of similar quality and craftsmanship. The black one has little boots that cover the cleats and a different boot to cover the ratchet straps. It's difficult to compare the materials because one is brand new and the other has been used for years. That being said, I think they "feel" similar. I still used the grey one for when the boat is being stored out in the sun and now I just use the black one for trips where I'm towing the boat. I'm hoping that this provides a little extra longevity.

If I didn't have a preference for the looks of the black one with my black hull, I don't think I would have spent extra money for it.

Stischendorf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought the black deluxe one with my 2015 sx210. I love it. The water just breads right off. The zippered boots around the cleats work great for covering it while on the water. The material feels think and strong.

pete4180

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got the grey cover, because my boat seats in the water all the time so I figured it would be easier to tie it down with open cleats, and it saved me $100. Looks good, fits nicely, doesn't collect water.

Brian Millette

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone know of a repair for a small rip (1") in the mooring cover?

tch324

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought the black deluxe one with my 2015 sx210. I love it. The water just breads right off. The zippered boots around the cleats work great for covering it while on the water. The material feels think and strong.
I know it's been a while, but I'm currently looking for a black deluxe for my new-to-me 2015 sx210. Where did you get yours from and does it work with the bimini? The one's I'm finding don't seem to have any cutouts for a bimini. Thank you.

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get the black one, it has to be better than the grey. I now have to use a tarp over the 2018 cover to keep the rain out. It's so thin you can almost see through it and will rip if you look at it wrong. For the price, it should last more than 3 years but I will keep it limping on till I can get a new deluxe.