• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Your thoughts please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sx240 Newbee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello,
This is my first thread.
I'm planning to purchase a 2011 sx240 with 170 hours next week if all goes well. Boat looks well kept. I can take care of basic maintenance (oil change, spark plugs, starters, etc.) on cars, but that's the extent of my mechanical experience. I took the 240 out for a test yesterday and in choppy water I ran it 40-45mph @ 6000 rpm. Only ran boat at that speed 5-10 minutes. No issues. Seller indicated that clean out plugs were difficult to remove. I didn't pull them out to inspect that area. I did notice the hatch cover support arm was corroded. I also failed to do post inspection after returning the boat to the boat lift, so I cannot confirm if excess water pooled into ski or engine compartments. Yes, I'm a newbie! However, the engines were cold- to- touch when I first fired them up and I did flushed both engines afterwards. They started without hesitation.
Any opinions about this possible purchase is welcomed.
Thanks!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome!

So, first, I would recommend you update your profile with your location. That will let folks who are closer to you be able to help you more. Also tells us more about your use profile (folks in Chicago don't boat in salt much; those in Florida do...).

A compression test is always a good idea on a potential purchase. It will give an indication of engine problems, but the fact that it started well and ran well (45 at 6k rpm would be normal or a bit fast) is a good sign. 2011's I think are in range for the oil cooler issue, so you should check for cracks in that and for the new bolt replacement. Search here for oil cooler crack... Clean out plugs can be difficult to remove if they are not cared for or if they get old. I put the silicone gel you put on pool seals on mine once or twice a year and it seems to keep them nice and fresh. Others do a silicone spray. But if they are already a mess, then you can buy a rebuild kit relatively cheaply that has a new seal and internal parts.

Did you get pics? We like pics.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like you double posted this thread. @Administrative , you may want to close this one; I will put my post to the other one.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Status