• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have you had a 1.8 timing chain failure, was it in warranty and how has Yamaha handled it?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It DOES happen in 1.8 N/A engines, no doubt, and it should not.

I have followed this issue pretty closely. I would still guess that the numbers/frequency of TC failure in 1.8 N/As is (probably) in the 1/500 - 1/1000 range, overall. If that is the case, it is not much different that a rate of MR-1 engine failures, overall, just to keep it in perspective.

The bottom line for me, I'm not going to do anything about it in terms of preventative measures. If I had a 2014 SVHO, different story.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
you have a 2016 so you should be ok ???

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone figured out why the failures are only with 2014 and 2015 boats? Maybe it is just a bad batch of timing chains? The older boats (2010-2013) are the same engines right?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I don't know what years and the engines are the same I thought people have had issues with several years prior to 2014 what the root cause is will remain top secret because that is how things are done. I gave my opinion but no one got it.
" It leads me back to a possible bad batch of chains made by,"" Takata"" when they blow they "KILL" your engine!"

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I guess it is for increased performance, but I always wondered why manufacturers make interference engines. A simple mechanical failure resulting in an instant catastrophic outcome scares me as an engineer. Reminds me of the "HCF - Halt and Catch Fire" machine code, except in that case it was facetious. Hmmmm... maybe with that analogy the design choice is one of "planned obsolescence"? :)

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
The "planned obsolescence" sounds feasible, especially since I am one of those with a failed engine at 80 hours and less than two years. On the other hand, my 1985 Honda CRX with an interference engine has gone 31 years with only one timing belt change and it's valves and pistons have yet to collide.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was poking around looking for something obvious on the 1800 engines that could be a way to determine if you are in danger of a chain failure but I really could not find any obvious difference. I did see a sticker on the valve cover mounted by the #4 coil that stated my engine that hatched was built 2 14 my other one says 4 14 and it has not hatched YET! so I wonder what dates were on the valve covers of the other engines that have had a chain fail it probably means nothing but it is something we can keep track of.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you have a 2016 so you should be ok ???
According to a Yamaha boat dealership mechanic I trust, the timing chain part was replaced in all 1.8l engines produced after 07/15. So, for example, a boat made in 10/15 would have the new parts -- which would be my case. But really - who knows? These things are cranked out and semi-assembled in batches, lots, etc. There is only one way to find out for sure.
But -- I am not going to take the head off of the engines to look for a simple reason: even if my boat has the old style timing chains/parts I would not be doing anything about it (at this time) anyway.

Not because I like to live dangerously. (Not anymore!). I just figure that if/when I get stuck in my boat (been there before, too), the chances are it will not be the TC failure (given what I see as the odds). (And I'm probably SO jinxing myself right now!!! LOL).

--

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The 1.8s have been out for a while now and it seems like the older ones ie the ones that had the oil cooler bolt issue have not blown chains. Almost like they got a bad batch of chains in 14 but honestly I have not kept track of what years have had issues to quantify this statement

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 1.8s have been out for a while now and it seems like the older ones ie the ones that had the oil cooler bolt issue have not blown chains. Almost like they got a bad batch of chains in 14 but honestly I have not kept track of what years have had issues to quantify this statement
I think that is quite possible, but there are 2012 and 2013 1.8s with broken chains as well. In 2014 the SVHOs came out, that's when the TC failures went haywire and everyone noticed, or at least could no longer ignore it.

--

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
A Lack of Progress Report
My early 2015 SX192 engine failed in September with timing chain related problems. Yamaha has agreed to replace the engine. In the middle of October I was told that the block section is on backorder. Yamaha said that some blocks might make it to the U.S. from Japan by the end of October or early November. Now it is early November, I called yesterday and got passed around from rep to rep for an hour and a half and got absolutely no information. The rep that I originally dealt with called today to inform me that my claim is awaiting approval by upper management because of the large dollar amount. I immediately asked about where the block was as it doesn't really matter to me what their paperwork process is if there is no part available to fix my boat. I was told again that they have no way of knowing if the parts are in customs or not. I was told they would inform me when management approved the claim, but that doesn't do anything to prove to me that an engine is going to be available any time soon. If anyone else has had problems getting warrantied parts from Yamaha, I would be glad to hear how it was resolved.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My early 2015 SX192 engine failed in September with timing chain related problems. Yamaha has agreed to replace the engine. In the middle of October I was told that the block section is on backorder. Yamaha said that some blocks might make it to the U.S. from Japan by the end of October or early November. Now it is early November, I called yesterday and got passed around from rep to rep for an hour and a half and got absolutely no information. The rep that I originally dealt with called today to inform me that my claim is awaiting approval by upper management because of the large dollar amount. I immediately asked about where the block was as it doesn't really matter to me what their paperwork process is if there is no part available to fix my boat. I was told again that they have no way of knowing if the parts are in customs or not. I was told they would inform me when management approved the claim, but that doesn't do anything to prove to me that an engine is going to be available any time soon. If anyone else has had problems getting warrantied parts from Yamaha, I would be glad to hear how it was resolved.
@LTM1964 That really is a shame on Yamaha, not like you are trying to get some vintage part that is no longer in production!
I have to say, I do not understand why they would not absolutely want to rush that repair. To me this is indicative of some systemic problems with the company. I hope I'm wrong and I certainly hope they fix your boat in a hurry!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It took me about 2 months to get mine back I now have several hours on it and each day it feels more like it is supposed to feel so the engine is breaking in fine. I did my 10 hour oil and plug change, fuel consumption is back where the other one was before it blew so hope you get yours soon

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Administrative we've heard we have special contacts and know Yamaha reads this board, is it possible you can link one of those contacts to know about LTM's issue, what appears to be an obvious lack of customer service.

It's nice they let Julian have a preview of new models (to help the advertise on our board) but I think these are the real issues that they should step forward on when we are nice enough to pull down new model information out of goodwill.

working with many dealers is a bad enough experience but to add corporate Yamaha delaying things really hurts their brand and us endorsing them

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Administrative we've heard we have special contacts and know Yamaha reads this board, is it possible you can link one of those contacts to know about LTM's issue, what appears to be an obvious lack of customer service.

It's nice they let Julian have a preview of new models (to help the advertise on our board) but I think these are the real issues that they should step forward on when we are nice enough to pull down new model information out of goodwill.

working with many dealers is a bad enough experience but to add corporate Yamaha delaying things really hurts their brand and us endorsing them
Yamaha wants these issues to run the normal course and will intercede if it reaches those that read the forum (which isn't like they are glued to it). So @LTM1964 hopefully you've already:
  1. Escalated with the dealer
  2. Escalated with Yamaha corporate
  3. Escalated within Corporate support if #2 didn't help.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Engines on back order? Does this mean the factory line has stopped?
I don't think so, never heard such bullshit, now they tell you it needs approval, I'm sure the request for a block would not even go ahead unless an approval had been granted.

The more I hear of bad warranty claims from Yamaha the more I lose faith in them as a brand. Over the last few years the honor of being on a pedestal as being the No 1 jet ski manufacturer has gone, come on Yamaha, man up, pay up and get back up there!

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Maybe a Progress Report
A week ago, I called Yamaha customer service and asked to speak to a supervisor that I was referred to by the representative that was handling my case.
Like Britboater asked above, I wasn't believing that all production had ceased because engines may or may not be held in customs. Even though my representative was courteous, I wanted to speak to someone with the authority to get some information or hopefully make something happen. Even though customer service is in Georgia, I was told the supervisor is in California. The supervisor wasn't available. I left a message and got no call back.
I called my representative yesterday to demand to speak with a manager. I got voicemail.
Today, my representative called me and said that my block arrived and was shipped to the dealer today.
I have no idea if my call to the supervisor got the attention of someone in authority and probably never will.
If they really shipped the block, and all of the other parts are correct, I guess I will have my boat back in two to three weeks.
I hope it works out that way. It looks like the downtime may be less than three months.
I don't know if Yamaha will follow up to gauge customer satisfaction or not, but from my position at this point, I can't tell that they take it very seriously.

RoughRider

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I have taken a self imposed hiatus from here because I was in denial. I had a timing chain failure on 9/2/16. Dealer had it by 9/6/16, and took 2 weeks to diagnose. Granted the tech took vacation after Labor Day after a long summer. Yamaha agreed to pay for full replacement.
Fast forward 6 weeks, and I am waiting on engine block, which had shipped from Japan. And heads are on backorder. Heads come in late October, but still no block.
Early November there is a mid Nov ship date from GA. Late Nov it I now Early Dec date. Yesterday 12/08/16 I was told it would be Mid Jan. I asked for Yamaha corporate #, since it had clearly been too long. I tried to tell myself that since it was cod out, I should give them some slack. But due to a USPS error, by Symphony bank bill didn't get delivered, and I missed my payment date by 1 day. $39.00 late charge. UGH. Miraculously, my block show up today. Too many coincidences.

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I have taken a self imposed hiatus from here because I was in denial. I had a timing chain failure on 9/2/16. Dealer had it by 9/6/16, and took 2 weeks to diagnose. Granted the tech took vacation after Labor Day after a long summer. Yamaha agreed to pay for full replacement.
Fast forward 6 weeks, and I am waiting on engine block, which had shipped from Japan. And heads are on backorder. Heads come in late October, but still no block.
Early November there is a mid Nov ship date from GA. Late Nov it I now Early Dec date. Yesterday 12/08/16 I was told it would be Mid Jan. I asked for Yamaha corporate #, since it had clearly been too long. I tried to tell myself that since it was cod out, I should give them some slack. But due to a USPS error, by Symphony bank bill didn't get delivered, and I missed my payment date by 1 day. $39.00 late charge. UGH. Miraculously, my block show up today. Too many coincidences.
Well. consider yourself lucky.
I was apparently one of the first ones that had the timing chain break before Yamaha decided to fix the issue right. (They only replaced the chain and head). It sounds like now they have made it a practice to update the engine with upgraded parts.

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I guess our blocks were on the same shipment from Japan. There is no excuse for it to take so long for a major manufacturer to supply parts for current models. I got a call last week from Yamaha customer service, the rep said she had talked to my dealer and confirmed that the block was received. The dealer was going to make room in the shop this week and replace my motor next week. I am not letting the timing bother me any further since the highs are in the 40s now. I got a survey form from Yamaha last week. The randomness of the form is further evidence of Yamaha's lack of attention to the customer. I was told the engine delay was due to customs and no one could track progress. I will never believe that a company as large as Yamaha was totally dependent on one shipment of blocks and at the mercy of one customs point to get engines in this country for two months. I can't believe that the production of new boats relies on that system. Even more insulting is that my request to speak to a manager was ignored. If Yamaha cared about their customers, someone with some authority should have contacted me with an apology and made some gesture to minimize or compensate me for my inconvenience.