• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rule Mate 500 gph Automatic Bilge Pump Keeps Running

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2018 AR190, went out this weekend and with the bilge switch set to ON, the bilge would not turn off. Spent the rest of the weekend with the switch set to OFF and the bilge would periodically turn on when water was detected.

Boat has less than 20 hrs on it. Read up on various forums people having the same problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's direct wired to the battery. At least the 2019s are. I am guessing the 2018s are the same. Switching it on is just an override of the sensors and it will run continuously. This also means that there is going to be some battery draw even with the battery switch set to off

• Agree
Reactions: Gym

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It's direct wired to the battery. At least the 2019s are. I am guessing the 2018s are the same. Switching it on is just an override of the sensors and it will run continuously. This also means that there is going to be some battery draw even with the battery switch set to off
I don't remember the bilge pump running continuously when I went out the first few times. So yours runs continuously if you turn the switch to the ON position?

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine does. My manual states that it automatically detects water and will pump with the battery switch off and/or the bilge switch off. So it's always operational. I haven't actually tested though. I probably should before trusting the manual though.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your real concern @Chris Kasz should be "the bilge would periodically turn on when water was detected". Why is this happening?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know @Ancient canoe is only partially tongue-in-cheek.

I would put it on the trailer, raise the bow as high as you can, and fill the engine compartment with a hose. See where water is coming out. Yes, many Yamahas leak. I find it no more acceptable because it is a Yamaha....

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The 2018-up boats are supposed to operate this way. Yamaha actually sent an addendum to the owners manual, that on my boat stated incorrectly the switch needed to be in the on position for it to work automatically. The new boats work whether the battery switch is on or off, wired direct. I would also look at why you are getting enough water for it to turn on every few minutes. I tested mine with a hose, took about 15 gallons or so before it tripped the pump to run. That’s a lot of bilge water my friend.

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 2018-up boats are supposed to operate this way. Yamaha actually sent an addendum to the owners manual, that on my boat stated incorrectly the switch needed to be in the on position for it to work automatically. The new boats work whether the battery switch is on or off, wired direct. I would also look at why you are getting enough water for it to turn on every few minutes. I tested mine with a hose, took about 15 gallons or so before it tripped the pump to run. That’s a lot of bilge water my friend.
The pump turns on when I turn the bilge switch to the ON position and it doesnt turn off. It just runs continously whether there is water or not in the bilge area. Thats the problem I am running into. I have a pump that will not turn off when the bilge switch is set to the ON position.

I have tested the bilge this way also / with the battery switch set to OFF and the bilge switch set to OFF the pump turns on, pumps water out(when water is detected) and turns off.

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Your real concern @Chris Kasz should be "the bilge would periodically turn on when water was detected". Why is this happening?
Rained overnight is a possibility. How often does your bilge turn on in a given 2 to 4 hour outing?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Chris Kasz , what you are seeing is normal operation. Don't think of the 'on' position as turning on the pump--think of it as turning on the override to run the pump constantly. The 'off' position turns off the override and allows for normal operation (sensing and turning on when there is water there).

The only question then is whether you want it to be still running while the battery switch is off. This is an option several take in order to make sure that the pump can never be turned off while everything else is. Downside is that with it continuing to sense, it will ultimately run down your battery if you are not plugged in on a charger. It is an easy switch to move that wire to the other side of the switch so that the pump turns off with the rest of the boat.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Chris Kasz , what you are seeing is normal operation. Don't think of the 'on' position as turning on the pump--think of it as turning on the override to run the pump constantly. The 'off' position turns off the override and allows for normal operation (sensing and turning on when there is water there).

The only question then is whether you want it to be still running while the battery switch is off. This is an option several take in order to make sure that the pump can never be turned off while everything else is. Downside is that with it continuing to sense, it will ultimately run down your battery if you are not plugged in on a charger. It is an easy switch to move that wire to the other side of the switch so that the pump turns off with the rest of the boat.
Considering I leave the boat in a slip overnight every other weekend I wouldn't want to disconnect my automatic sensing bilge correct? I usually turn my battery to the OFF position overnight but with the 2018's I know the bilge is directly wired to the battery always getting power.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yes @Chris Kasz the point I was trying to make is your bilge pump is operating as it should. There is no malfunction, the switch is only to override the float

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And as far as the bilge pump running during a 4 hour outing, it does not run. I had my boat on the water every day for 8-10 hours last week, bilge never ran. I’d get 1-2 gallons of water out the drain at the end of the day, but that could be from people on and off the boat in the water, coming back in fully soaked. Your concern here should not be the pump operation (it’s operating as designed) but the amount of water you’re getting. That’s too much.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes @Chris Kasz the point I was trying to make is your bilge pump is operating as it should. There is no malfunction, the switch is only to override the float
I agree...sounds like normal operation. The only problem with this setup is that there is no way to turn the bilge off. So if you leave the boat sitting for a month, you will come back to a dead battery due to the pump cycling every 3 minutes. Guess you can use that as an excuse to go boating every weekend! :)

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I agree...sounds like normal operation. The only problem with this setup is that there is no way to turn the bilge off. So if you leave the boat sitting for a month, you will come back to a dead battery due to the pump cycling every 3 minutes. Guess you can use that as an excuse to go boating every weekend! :)
I thought the 2018-2019's had float switches now instead of cycling.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Still, we are back to: you have a leak you need to find...