• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2008 ar230 motor cranks but won’t start

Bhunsaker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a 2008 Yamaha AR230 with the mr1 engines. Our problem started after running the boat all day in the keys Saturday, we where 10 mins from dock and port motor shut off. It’s not throwing a “code” but the check engine light and oil pressure light are solid while trying to start. The motor started first thing the next morning while I was flushing it. Ran for 10 mins and shut off by it self and won’t start again. We have tried all the usual issues lanyard switch, clean out switches, neutral switch, check oil regularly, put new plugs in and new batteries. We have the YDS software but can’t get the light on the cable to stay green. Turns green when you bump key but turns right back off. No issues with other motor connecting YDS. Thanks for any feedback or help.

Are all of your pissers working while underway?? Sounds like an overheat issue & once it cools down it will fire up.

do you live in the keys ?

how low on fuel were you when you it died the first day ?

do you normally run your tank close to empty ?

All pissers operating fine. Don’t think it’s over heating issue. I don’t live in the keys. We live in Broward county just north. There’s 3/4 of a tank of fuel currently in boat. We take the boat out almost every weekend so bad gas isn’t the issue either.

Update started today, while running the green light stayed on on the YDS. Didn’t run it long, didn’t have my laptop with me to connect to it. Going to try and start it while I have my laptop connected to it tomorrow.

My yds doesn't have a light on the cable,

I wonder if you have ecu issue?? Your yds should be able to read the ecu with just key turned, the engine doesn't have to be running

Yes, I don't like that the YDS cable went off like that. That part does not sound like an overheat. Sounds like the ECU is cutting out.

I would check all of the connections to the ECU and make sure they are solid (and not wet), as well.

So tonight i had the YDS connected, the motor got to 177 degrees F and shut off. It started 3 times after but only for a few second. Every time it turned off the ECM got disconnected from the computer. No codes for the last 80+ hours. 250 hours on motor as it sits. Tomorrow ill connect to it again and see if it turns off at the same temperature.

Ok, still don't like that. Sounds like the ECM shut down. Usually it should stay connected. In fact, many people don't even start the engine to use YDS. Just bump the starter and the ECM stays alive for about 30 seconds (enough to get hours, read codes, etc.). Don't have a clue as to what might be triggering the ECM shutdown, but a bad transistor could be heating up and causing it.

Wish I had a better guess for you. ECM's are expensive...

Yes oil is just over bottom of dipstick cold. Not throwing any codes. Going to run it again tonight and see if it shuts down at same temperature. Next step will be swapping ECMs and seeing if that resolves the issue.

Did the back of the boat sit under a deluge of rain/water and possibly get the ECU wet? This is what happened to @bronze_10 - was at a gas station in the rain - water from the roof was landing on the back of the boat. The 230s ECU can benefit from a strip of flashing over the top of the ECUs to keep water from getting on them (others have used waterproof tape etc).

It was not raining that day. We have been out in the rain before but that day was clear sky’s.

It's not so much what happened that day, but that if your ECU case is full of water, the ECUs can go bad.

@Bhunsaker Are you sure your battery is good?

And yes sure batteries are good. Just replaced one the other day.

Currently have both ecu’s out of the boat, swapping the good one with the bad to make sure that motor stays running. If it does will be ordering a new ecu. Any recommendations on where to order it from?

When it happened to my boat the rain ran in the boat on a saturday... the following Friday (in bimini) one ecu failed. Later that summer the other failed.. both had water in the pins of the plug. I sent both of mine off somewhere. Can't remember the company name.. was in california.. carmeo.. something like that.

Ok so after some debate, I ended up ordering a new ECU from partzilla. Just finished putting it in today and she runs perfect again. Put it in the water a little over an hour with no issues. We would like to send the bad ecu out to have it rebuilt if anyone has a company they have used and can recommend?

Back