• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2010 AR240 Control Cable broken

Chris Roberson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wanted to get thoughts from Forum Members

My left Control cable for the Reverse Gate appears to have broken yesterday on my 2010 AR240... Had taken to the dealer a couple weeks ago complaining to them about some shake in the throttle - well yesterday all the shake ceased as did anything but reverse with the left engine. 4 miles back to the dock and no tubing for the kids...

Reading all kinds of posts and looking on Yamaha Parts...

Can anyone confirm that this Yamaha part F2A-U149C-00-00 cross references with: Teleflex part number CCX63318

18 Feet cable... SeaStar Solutions TfXtreme CCX633 Premium Replacement Control Cable?

Thanks much for your help in advance.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a bummer about the broken cable @Chris Roberson. Usually the shaky throttle control is caused by the reverse gate bucket hanging down a bit low and into the flow of water on that nozzle. It's possible that all of the shaking just loosened the nut on either end of the cable causing the cable to simply fall off the control. Hopefully yours is that simple.

In the future, you can simply use the quick release on the reverse gate end and release the nozzle. Then zip tie, wire tie, or simply tie ;) it out of the way and continue about your day. Obviously you'll want to fix it ASAP, but at least you would have forward thrust (AKA a fun filled day) with that pump until you could get it fixed. Just be careful around the docks. ;)

Anyway, hoping you're just came loose and is a simple fix. Keep us posted.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ps. Welcome to the site, you've come to the right place to get any help you might need in getting it fixed. It's pretty hard to break something on your boat that one of us hasn't broken already.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The part number for your boat differs from mine and other 23' boats. It may be a different length. Yamahasportsplaza has the cable for only $71 ....so that might be your best bet. Then once you get the cable, do take photo of the model number on it so we can see if it is a match, or what Seastar cable # is.....

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003a179f870021f60a12016/control-cable

But first....check that the cable is indeed broken and not just undone as @itsdgm points out.

Chris Roberson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its broken - pulled the end of the ball joint shaft and the end of the control line came right out.... its broken.

Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully I can find out the cable cross reference.

Chris Roberson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Help me understand one thing about the cable...

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003a181f870021f60a12041/control-cable

When you look at the picture - the piece that broke was piece that was between 17/18 on the picture above. I assumed it was all part of the reverse cable - are there two cables that come together? 16 and 17? because when I opened up the cover where the plugs go - it seems like it is all one cable the comes all the way through to the reverse gate. I assume it the one noted above... item 16 - Yamaha part F2A-U149C-00-00.

Chris Roberson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone ever used a 10-32 Coupling nut to pull the cables through? I would thing that a coupling nut with some electrical tape on it would link the control cables pretty strongly when needing to make sure they did not separate on the pull.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The vibration you experienced was the reverse hood hanging down in the water exiting the nozzle, meaning it was out of adjustment. Just a F Y I for future reference to avoid issues when that happens you should adjust the reverse gates and also check the white plastic nut that holds the outer cable to the hull where it exits the back of the boat, Often all that is wrong is the plastic nut is loose and that makes the cable loose.

Chris Roberson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the AR240 - 2010 - 2014 if your Yamaha PN is F2A-U149C-00-00 Then your Seastar - Teleflex part number CCX63318

Seastar Tfxtreme Universal Splined Core Control Cable

Ordered mine from Amazon Prime to get free two day shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003905H88

Just finished install tonight - 3-4 hours in total - will post some pics... a few key points on my boat - definitely easier to pull from the control console through the back of boat... tried on second one to pull out towards console (Wrong...) also well worth two people - 10 mins to pull through with my son on each of them coming from console. Probably a 1-2 hour job if I ever had to do again.

Thanks for all the insights - my main point to pass along was the PN is correct for the AR240's. Now I have to learn how to post pics on this site.

Chris

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Posting pics is super easy here. Make your window an intermediate one and just drag the picture into the posting area. Drop it and that's it. Then you can make it full image or a thumbnail people have to click on for full size.