• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 242 LIMITED S - HOW GOOD ON ROUGH WATER?

rushbmc101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I'm close to buying a 2103 2013 limited S. The boat will be kept on the Lake of the Ozarks. If you're not familiar with this lake it has many big boats and cruisers on it. It gets busy on the weekends and sometimes there can be waves up to 4-6 feet. I had a small Searay 21ft sundeck before and it coped OK but we tended to take it out mostly during the week when it was less busy. However my family are planning to go more during the weekends this summer so the water will be as mentioned very choppy at times. How good is this boat in rough water? Also how good is the boat for wake boarding?

Freeboard on the bow is less on 2010-2014 242's than on the 2015's and newer. This lends itself to stuffing and or getting water over the bow. I think the intention was to feel closer to the water while sitting in the front but I could be wrong.
Look at the profile compared to the 15's and newer. Notice how bow line is lower on the older boats.

Might be too rough....I rented a 242 yamaha from Surdyke last year on a weekend to test out that jet boat vs Ozark main channel, and in my limited opinion it wasn't the best suited.

They rent from behind Margaritaville/Tan-tar-a - worth a few hours of rental on the same boat to see what you think.

I've had my 2016 242X out in pretty rough water on the ocean, never stuffed the bow, did get a lot of spray, but as @ross l points out, the 2015s increase the freeboard. I like @Gregvjr idea if you can get a test drive....that would be ideal.

It will be far better than your last boat. Is is what you seek....not sure.

So I'm close to buying a 2103 2013 limited S. The boat will be kept on the Lake of the Ozarks. If you're not familiar with this lake it has many big boats and cruisers on it. It gets busy on the weekends and sometimes there can be waves up to 4-6 feet. I had a small Searay 21ft sundeck before and it coped OK but we tended to take it out mostly during the week when it was less busy. However my family are planning to go more during the weekends this summer so the water will be as mentioned very choppy at times. How good is this boat in rough water? Also how good is the boat for wake boarding?

Spend a bit more and get a Used 25'. They handle the rough water much better.

One important item regarding dealing with rough conditions is being able to tack those waves and in order to do that you will need to add steering that will allow you to take waves sideways and stay in control while doing that so The super ultimate system with the mega fang plus upgrade is the answer to having that type of control at all speeds.

I’ve had my AR230 on the ozarks 3 times, Saturdays and Sundays aren’t for anyone with boats under 30’ in my opinion…. We went out on a Saturday but not far on the main channel, so it can be done, but you won’t be setting any speed records. Mon-Fri it will be fine.

Back