• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Yamaha 242 Limited manufacturers defect

asclarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
All,
Wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience with their boat. I had the boat out Labor Day weekend and noticed the windshield did not latch correctly. After inspecting it the frames only touched at the bottom by 4-5 mm. The top did not touch at all. We used the boat and pulled it out at the end of the day. I had it parked next to my buddies 2013 242 Limited S and the hull on mine was noticeably not straight lines like before. We could see a difference between the two boats. Both sides are affected about 2/3 back inline with the windshield. The boat was parked inside on the trailer since July and was fine then.
I contacted the dealer and said to bring it down and they will look at it. Once at the dealer I had multiple people looking at it within 20 minutes. None of them had ever seen a Yamaha do this. Yamaha was contacted and the dealer told them it was not repairable. Yamaha needed a second opinion from another dealer and that came back not repairable.
There is a service order at Yamaha currently and the dealer is involved.. Has anyone else had this with a Yamaha or another boat for that matter? I am wondering what the options are? Pay back the loan or new boat? I have found that this falls under a few federal warranty laws and it sounds like it is my choice.

Thanks
Adam

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Holy smokes.
How the heck did this escape the factory?!
Advice? Don't buy that.

Dibs on salvage title, $5k for whole boat and trailer.

They screwed ya man.

Last edited:

asclarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It did not come from the factory that way. It happened at some point this summer. I have pics from last year with nice straight hull and lines.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wow... so it's like melting?
They must have taken that thing out of the mold waaaay early or had bad epoxy hardener. So over time, since it was never cured, it just sagged because the stuff never got hard like fiberglass is supposed to!
Factory defect with a time delay.
Dude, that really sucks.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have seen a lot of things like power hooks in the hull on boats but never the issue you have, I sure hope they treat you right and just replace it , that is obviously a factory defect, Although it probably rides softer when you hit waves, so maybe it was a secret test boat the was not supposed to be released yet, OR NOT! All joking aside I believe they will handle this pretty quickly and quietly.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have seen a lot of things like power hooks in the hull on boats but never the issue you have, I sure hope they treat you right and just replace it , that is obviously a factory defect, Although it probably rides softer when you hit waves, so maybe it was a secret test boat the was not supposed to be released yet, OR NOT! All joking aside I believe they will handle this pretty quickly and quietly.
When i originally saw the pictures on my phone i was going to make a joke about a Yamaha test stepped hull. After i blew the pictures up at home i was dissapointed.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is insane. You HAVE to keep us up to date on this.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, just ran outside and checked my chines. Good luck in your resolution.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is crazy. I have never seen anything like that!

asclarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
After a few months of phone calls Yamaha purchased the boat back. They have been nothing short of amazing and I recommend them highly from a product and customer service standpoint.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After a few months of phone calls Yamaha purchased the boat back. They have been nothing short of amazing and I recommend them highly from a product and customer service standpoint.
That is awesome! I've found that once you reach the right people they strive to do the right thing....which it looks like they did here!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad they did this for you. Are you getting another?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Faith in yamaha restored

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Im very happy to hear they did this for you. I don't know what the hell is going on at that Yamaha factory... My boat came with a white paint overspray all over the engine & interior compartments.
Im trying to work something out with yamaha now.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to hear that Yamaha stepped up and made it right.

Firehouse100

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can I get your 1.8's humm!! IN AN 04 that might hit 58. Everything aside it's nice to know yammi is stepping up.