• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 24x Connext System - Interfaces

ttechnology

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm planning on acquiring a 2015 242 Limited S at an upcoming boat show - if things work out. Was wondering about the new Connext system and how closed/extendable it may be.

I think I understand that it's built by Murphy and is based on NMEA 2000. Has anyone seen:
a) any indications of any ability to interface with other NMEA 2000 devices,
b) any indications we can swap out the factory stereo for something else and still control it through the Connext console?
c) any indication of an ability to control other devices through it? (One dealer showed how had "blanks" in the system and claimed to be working with Yamaha to come up with a way to add controls for things like underwater lighting, etc.)

Just curious what the hands on experts know.

Thanks,

Scott

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ttechnology

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you. If it's the one I saw, the status via copied e-mails did not sound encouraging. (Link) But maybe it's just new and the details will still be worked out. Was hoping that Connext was standards based and expandable rather than proprietary sizzle.

SGMPhil

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am trying to figure out the same thing - I'd really like to interface the Connext system to my NMEA 2000 network/equipment.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

SGMPhil

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know alot of threads have discussed this but I think it is a moot point. NMEA was created for and is mainly used for offshore boats in excess of 24ft. Its benefit is for GPS, Radar, Chartplotter & Wind Vane to communicate with each other seemlessly for Autopilot mode. True, it can and does have other benefits but to truely have any sizeable benefit you need to be at minimum:

A.) offshore
B.) equiped with an autopilot

I believe the proprietary Yamaha system provides all the data elements and diagnostics you need. MPH, RPM, Eng. Temperature, Hours Etc Etc... NMEA link your GPS/Fishfinder/Chartplotter into that system or enabling it in general would be redundant. Maybe I'm missing something in regards to benefit, but I just don't see any benefit gained.
The reason I am interested in the NMEA 2000 capability is to be able to get engine data fed to my Lowrance system as it has the ability to nicely display this as seen in the image below. It may be a bit redundant, but it is pretty cool, and I like cool. On these Yamaha boats - at least mine - there is not much space to put additional equipment as the pilot area is already somewhat fully populated. I thought about putting my chartplotter system right above the steering wheel but it covers the tachometers. If I could display the tachometers on the chartplotter, I could mount the unit over the factory tachometers and not loose the ability to see engine RPM. Just my $0.02 worth.

Guages.JPG