• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Yamaha SX190 or 2014 Yamaha AR210??

JP Kahlen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey all, new to the forum but came across it a little while ago while researching jet boats. Great info on here and helped me make up my mind on a jet boat over a I/O. Posted this as a private discussion before but Julian kindly pointed me the right way to a general forum discussion.

Looking for advice, I haven't owned a boat since growing up with them as a kid/teenager so this will be my 1st. Our dealer here in Kingston On, has some great year end (seasonal here of course) deals on inventory which includes a 2015 Yamaha SX190 and a 2014 Yamaha AR210. Looking for advice as to which way to go...

Some info:
- new boat owner so there will be a lot of 1sts....
- will be towing between back lakes (many great lakes within 1 1/2 hours of here plus Lake Ontario)
- have 3 kids (3 boys, 10, 8, 6) plus my wife and friends/family from time to time
- go up North quite a bit to lakes about 1.5 hrs drive so need to be mobile with relative ease
- will be dropping boat in interior lakes more than Lake Ontario...
- pricing is fine on either boat so that's not really a determinant
- somewhat conflicted and don't want to make the wrong choice
- not sure if either model/year has any issues/concerns
- these boats come fairly loaded but any "must" add ons at this point?
- have a LR4 so hauling either should be fine

Any insights/advice would be welcome - thanks!

I'd get the 21' AR.....twin engine safety and power, tower for the kids...more room for the friends and family!

Personally, I would go with the AR210. With kids I like the flexibility of doing any water sport I choose and that at times requires a tower. Also, the additional space when your "normal day will be 5 will be noticeable. Lastly, two engines are a benefit.

I toyed with getting an AR210, but price became an issue. I took the next step down by getting an AR192. I'm happy, but I found myself eyeing a leftover 210 when I was at the dealer the other day (just kidding, L).

Good luck.

Last edited:
There is 2015 SX190 for sale for like $26k new! (on ebay...red one)

for me the price really talked. My 2012 SX190 was equivalent of like 2005 23 foot dual engine Yamahas.

Dual engine is good but not THAT good for me...plus my single engine runs about 45~48 mph (on the dreamo-meter) but it runs real well. The bow seating is LARGER than it appears. I can be comfortable up front. I don't plan on pulling any wakeboarders so the tower was not necessary.

bought it about a month ago and put on 10hrs already :D

Since you have a family of five get the 21ft boat I promise if you buy the 19ft boat you will be looking to move up with in a year or two. So if buying new buy your second boat first and skip the depreciation twice.

Twin engines are a great safety device. Can always limp home slowly on one engine.

ar210 hands down...

Welcome aboard @JP Kahlen. Your 3 boys will eventually want to bring their 3 friends. I'm sure they will be into water sports at that age so the best advice you've received here is go for the 210. Extra room, safety of twin engines and a tower for water sports. You said you will be doing some boating on the great lakes so I would go with a twin if the extra $$$ is not a factor.

I have to agree with everyone else, go with the 210. Since the money side is not an issue. I really can't see a reason not to get the larger boat. The twin engines do provide some advantages, plus the extra room will be more than welcomed once you're loaded down with family and friends.

You might be interested to hear @Englewoodcowboy 's thoughts on this matter.

When people say it's a safety issue, your not going to die if your engine stops working, your not going to sink either. Unless your out in the ocean, no need to bash the one engine vs 2 engines. Geezzzz

I recommend taking your family to a boat dealer and getting in one first before you decide, not what people say on here. Sorry if i offend anyone, but i had a 190 and never felt like i need a second engine or more room.

If you are going on the great lakes you may want to consider a 24'. But that Lso depends on tow vehicle and storage.

I have heard from two different guys at the Surdyke Yamaha at Lake of the Ozarks that the 190s are actually better in chop than the bigger boats, for some reason. Makes no sense, I know, but I know that's what they were saying. There is a lot of chop at that lake in high season...
I wasn't shopping there and it was not a sales pitch.

Congrats on the decision to go jet. I started off with an AR192 and it was great for 2 to 3 people and water sports, tubing etc, however when you add a 4th or 5th the boat really showed its weakness. Now you said they have a 190 which is about 30hp less than the 192's so I would imagine it would be even more of a let down in the long run unless you were only going to have 2 to 3 ppl (or 4 if two were kids, I am talking 150# + adults) etc. Honestly I would save the frustration and get the 210. It is a lot more boat so the bang for the buck is tremendous IMHO. I only wish I would have saved myself the loss of a few K switching up in less than a year but I had to do what I had to to make the whole water experience worth while.

Thanks all, great comments and points...will be mainly on interior lakes but its nice to think the big lakes won't be an issue either. I don't feel I can go wrong with either option really, it looks like I already made the right choice to go Jet! Most of the feedback seems to be to go bigger with the family size and in terms of buying the second boat first - which makes sense of course. The main draw for the SX190 was more in terms of ease of towing and manoeuvring (being my 1st boat) but I expect I can get used to both of those (with practice...). To complicate matters, the dealer also has a 2014 212x...don't know much about the 2014 or if there where any major model changes to 2015 etc. Any thoughts? How do you like your 212x Englewoodcowboy?
So to update: 2014 AR210 or 212x???

I love my X. When I first looked to purchase I was looking at the 210's but my local dealer did not have any and had a SX192. I decided I wanted a tower so started searching for an AR192 and completely forgot about the 210's... Now the biggest difference between the 14 and 15 212X is the 15's have the new Sea Deck vs the other stuff and they have the new quieter motor mounts and coupler that the 15 240's received less that actual sound proofing. I do not know how much of a sound difference it makes but that is about it on differences. Personally the 1.8L motors are very nice and the difference between the 210 vs 212X is I believe 300 total HP in the 210 to 360 total HP in the 212.

Last edited:
I've been lurking the better part of a year, so this is my first post. I am very much in the same situation. I have a family of 5 (3 small kids right now) I was originally looking at the 190s and then we had our 3rd and I switched gears into the 210s. I want to wait until the youngest is a little older before I buy a boat, but I was close to pulling the trigger on an AR190 when it we were just 4. My brother has a Scarab 195, and it gets crowded quick. I would definitely go 210 with a family of 5. I am hoping they bring back the 210s as I really like the Yamahas but don't really want to have to upgrade to the X to get the size I want.

210 ALL the way. twin engines, plus WAY more room.

210 or go to a used 24' boat. Not too many people wish they bought smaller boats.

I don't see the 210's returning due to the phasing out of the MR1 motor for emission standards I believe. I also anticipate the 21' lineup getting a complete change up to reflect the new 24' boats with the articulating keel and connect systems etc.

Back