• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 October Jetboaters Staff Meeting Minutes

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Jetboaters.net was founded to support owners of all kinds of Jetboats, and one of our foundational goals was to be transparent in how we operate. We post our financials, code of conduct etc (in my signature if you want to read them). Until now, we've had adhoc meetings of the staff and moderators. Last night we had our first official "planned" staff meeting. Below is the agenda and high level minutes (we welcome member comments):

Attendees: Bruce, Julian, John (@0627Devildog ), Neil (@OperationROL ), Scott (@Murf'n'surf )
Agenda:
  1. Hosting costs (putting this on the agenda as the Cost Transparency thread has some recent interest, and I know I've not paid in a year or so).
  2. Banning Process - are we good with our approach?
  3. Vendor mgmt - we are seeing more and more vendors posting...are we ok with the process?
  4. Giveaways - do we want to get vendors to "fund" some prizes for events? We'd kicked around having a best photo thread with prizes, best mods thread etc. Do we want to try and make this happen?
  5. Forum Structure- are we ok with it? Changes? Most recent change I made was the "Model Year" Section--ok?
  6. Tip/topic of the week-via the "Notice" option. Lots of configurability there for who see's what.
  7. ??? other topics?
Minutes:
  • Storage capacity was upped last summer, monthly cost is now $32. We have 31GB free out of 118GB. Processor utilization is low. Costs will likley go up $5 next summer when we have to add more storage.
  • Banning process: not good that we had to ban our first member (Clemson Tiger), and some complained that it took us too long, but it worked. Next time we should call a quick staff meeting to perhaps expedite the process.
  • Vendor Mgmt- seems to be working ok. Haven't had many complaints (there is one "report" right now).
  • Funding ideas - this was the longest part of the meeting with lots of discussion covering many topics.
    • Banners-consider an ad banner
    • Donations-get members to donate. None of us liked this option - our experience with the old forum wasn't good. We don't like begging.
    • Administrators paying
    • Banner Ad in the New Member "Notice" (seen when you aren't logged in-encourages visitors to become a member)
      • Best part of this is that logged in members wouldn't see any ads, and we think it would raise enough money to cover what we need.
      • Has tax implications - perhaps get tax advice?
      • Sell it to vendors? Don't take the money, but take it in "credit"
      • Insert a google add frame? Has definite tax implications
      • How do we handle the fact that some members might want to see the ads? (if it is only in the new member, non-signed in "notice" members wouldn't see it.
      • Action Item to Bruce to check on rotating ad capability - see how easy it would be to insert a rotating add.
    • We also discussed how we might use $ if we raised money:
      • Paying for hosting and operational costs
      • General and/or Gathering Photo Contests
      • Best Mods contests
      • Prizes/awards for gathering
      • Other contests
      • Incentives for gathering organizers (like a grant of sorts?)
  • Forum structure-is good to go for now. Model year section works, we can make a sub forum to reduce the main page length as more years are added.
  • Meeting Frequency?
    • Every 2 months monday nights being the preference.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is there a way to donate towards operating costs? I would be more than happy to. This forum has saved me lots of money and time.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Excellent work on the transparency. Important and very much appreciated. Keep up the great work!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks guys! Was this your meeting?
yacht-meeting-four-people.jpg

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I trust, respect, and appreciate the staff. Food for thought as things have grown. Is there a way to identify regular content contributors and get their input from a poll on items that will have material impact to the community to help guide the staff?

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you all for your work maintaining this awesome community! If there is anything we can do (not speaking for everyone, just the many members who would happily step up) don't be afraid to ask. I'm confident that you would see offers of help from all around.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I trust, respect, and appreciate the staff. Food for thought as things have grown. Is there a way to identify regular content contributors and get their input from a poll on items that will have material impact to the community to help guide the staff?
That would be easy and could be accomplish any number of ways. Typically when we are at a decision point we do poll the membership for their input....hadn't thought of constricting that to "regular contributors".

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian if people want to give some money you should consider taking it and put it on rainy fund for when get hacked or something.
There is one thing to have a mandatory donation and another thing people just wanting to send money.
Some of us might feel like free loaders and look for random ways to give back to the forum/community. It might be a peace of mind of we just send some money to say THANK YOU instead of running logistics for a tongue scale & other such shenanigans

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm thinking some way to add anonymity to donations. If someone wants to toss some dollars in the pot, I think we should let them. There are plenty on here that would gladly drop a $20 bill in the mail to help the site along.

Another thought for your next meeting......How can we as users help the cause? Need volunteers to be moderators? What about running contests etc? I'm sure you can get time donations just as quickly as money donations if needed.

I don't think you need the cash or the time at this point, but I suspect it will be needed at some point, and having a system already setup to garner that might not be a terrible idea.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2kwik4u if you are planing on putting a $20 bill in an envelope, I am taking those "donations" NOW :D

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u if you are planing on putting a $20 bill in an envelope, I am taking those "donations" NOW :D
Just check under the foam in the Tongue Scale Box if it ever makes it way back to your possession :D :D

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting thought an advisory committee I like it.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Best Forum on the planet. I'd be happy to contribute when the time comes too.