• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Yamaha 12.3" Connext System - Bluetooth Issue

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just bought a new 2018 242 Limited S E-Series... have only had it on the water for 20-30 minutes just checking it out. While out on the water, I tried to connect my iPhone to the Bluetooth system for music. I think I'm fairly tech savvy but I simply can't figure out how to do it. It has the new 12.3" Connext display.

There is no "Pair" button or anything. See the picture I attached. Settings only gives you access to EQ, fader, balance, etc. Source switches sources and the "i" doesn't give anything either. Another odd thing is that I can't use USB either. I plugged in my phone and tried to switch the source to USB but it wouldn't let me. There's a little lock symbol on the USB button. Strange....

To make matters worse, the manual is useless for the 12.3" Connext system. The section on the radio and Bluetooth is from the older system. You can't even download the 2018 manual from Yamaha's website.

Has anyone successfully paired their phone with the new Connext system using Bluetooth? If so, I would love to hear how. I hope it's something stupid that I've overlooked.....

Thanks!!!!

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I couldn't get my 2016 242X to pair with either my phone or my daughters yesterday!!! Annoyed the crap out of me. The only thing I didn't try was using the stern remote.....I've read here that some have had success using it, as it is apparently the "master"..... I'll try it again next time I'm out.

But at least my connext screen HAS a Pair button that I've used fine in the past!

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
SWAG (stupid wild a** guess) !! I noticed from your pic that you were in "running mode" at the time. Is it possible that our boats are like some vehicles in that you can't make these changes while in motion ? Have you tried this in "float mode" ? I remember my 2016 being less than straight forward but not sure how I finally got it working ? It was NOT because of the great documentation in the owners manual.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hmm, no idea about the modes. When I was in the water trying to do it, I wasn't moving. Before I put the boat in the water, I had it sitting in my driveway and tried to set it up there. Obviously, I didn't have the engines running or anything. I don't know what mode it was in.

I thought maybe there was something with the engines not being on. I sent an email to my dealer about it. I'm gonna guess my sales guy won't know, but hope that he does some leg work to find the answers for me.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
yep , knew it was a long shot. Float mode is with Connext on but engines not running. When you fire up one or both engines it should then go to Running mode.
Good Luck !

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Be sure to post up how to do it when you find out!!!
Certainly will. I just noticed you're in Raleigh. Bought my boat from Chatlee as well.... Just scrolled through your thread. Like the TP holder and hangers for jackets. Will certainly do some of that in my boat.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a few guesses. First something that may help to understand how it works. I think the 2018s have a Fusion MS_RA70N radio mounted on the swim deck. This is where the bluetooth chip is. This unit interfaces with Connext over N2k. The swim deck radio should allow setting up bluetooth.

owners manual link here> https://assets.fusionentertainment.com/products/downloads/Fusion_RA70_RA70N_OM_EN.pdf?mtime=20171003082044
installation manual here> https://assets.fusionentertainment.com/products/downloads/Fusion_RA70_RA70N_Install_EN.pdf?mtime=20171003082035

I think the zeros on the Connext screen represent unpaired device slots per the N2k standard so taping on one of them or pressing down on the jog dial when one is highlighted may enter pairing mode for that slot from Connext. They should also allow you select from a list of paired devices once a device is paired. The Fusion unit is leaps and bounds ahead of the Polk units from the previous few years. It has better bluetooth, better circuitry, N2k, a great free fusion link app for controlling from your phone, gain setting for aux devices, multiple zones, sub filter and level, DAB radio ready, and most importantly it is truly marine rated.

Please do post up what works.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a few guesses. First something that may help to understand how it works. I think the 2018s have a Fusion MS_RA70N radio mounted on the swim deck. This is where the bluetooth chip is. This unit interfaces with Connext over N2k. The swim deck radio should allow setting up bluetooth.
Wow.... I would of never thought about that. Won't be able to try it until this weekend, but based on what you wrote, seems reasonable.

At the same time, it's illogical to go to the swim deck to pair your phone to a remote control unit..... Oh well, hope it works! Thanks for the info!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There should be a way to do it from the Connext screen if it was programmed right. Perhaps the menu icon left of the play button, perhaps selecting one of the zeros, perhaps when nothing has been connected before it is already in paring mode, and perhaps even the app will help. Sucks that the boat manual is not up to snuff but feel good that you have quite the upgrade over the previous model year when it comes to the complete sound system.

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
In it's native state on the boat the fusion stereo is not discover-able on bluetooth. From the bluetooth source page, push the menu button that looks like 3 dash lines. Put a check in the box for discover-able. Can not remember the exact wording, but it is the only check box. After about 15-20 seconds, it should show up on your phone as a RA-70N. Select it on your phone. You should be good to go. When I get a chance to go out on the boat, I will correct my wording and try and post some pics.

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One correction that I noticed immediately is that the fusion stereo shows up as RA70 on my phone, not RA-70N.

Here are the pictures:

If anyone has any more questions, just let me know.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for updating us. @Administrative this should probably be added to the faq since not in the manual.

The unit is a ra-70n. N being the n2k model. They must have just used the same bluetooth software stack for both of them and not renamed.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tek4fun - I hope you will keep posting! This is the kind of help this forum benefits tremendously.

--

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just bought a new 2018 242 Limited S E-Series... have only had it on the water for 20-30 minutes just checking it out. While out on the water, I tried to connect my iPhone to the Bluetooth system for music. I think I'm fairly tech savvy but I simply can't figure out how to do it. It has the new 12.3" Connext display.

There is no "Pair" button or anything. See the picture I attached. Settings only gives you access to EQ, fader, balance, etc. Source switches sources and the "i" doesn't give anything either. Another odd thing is that I can't use USB either. I plugged in my phone and tried to switch the source to USB but it wouldn't let me. There's a little lock symbol on the USB button. Strange....

To make matters worse, the manual is useless for the 12.3" Connext system. The section on the radio and Bluetooth is from the older system. You can't even download the 2018 manual from Yamaha's website.

Has anyone successfully paired their phone with the new Connext system using Bluetooth? If so, I would love to hear how. I hope it's something stupid that I've overlooked.....

Thanks!!!!
OK, yes I agree it is a bit convoluted to add your phone as compared to other stereo systems. That said, there are 2 large sections in your owners manual dedicated to the Connext system. The first section, and probably the one you were reading, is for boats that DON'T have the 12.3". I have a new 2018 242X and have the same manual you do. If you will keep flipping pages you will come to the section dedicated to the 12.3" system. It is described pretty well I think. My boat shows up as the RA70 in bluetooth devices and it connects and works great every time. The inctructions are on page 88-89 in your manual but essentially you select the BT mode and then tap on the icon with 3 horizontal lines (universally used for "menu"). You then tap the "Discoverable" checkbox on the next screen and waala you should see it pop up on your phone.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I so wish there was a manual dedicated to the 12.3 connext!

Also I would like to be able to flash this system with some custom backgrounds and widgets.

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I so wish there was a manual dedicated to the 12.3 connext!

Also I would like to be able to flash this system with some custom backgrounds and widgets.
I uploaded a pdf of the manual yesterday so at least you can have it in your phone for leisure reading

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One correction that I noticed immediately is that the fusion stereo shows up as RA70 on my phone, not RA-70N.

Here are the pictures:

If anyone has any more questions, just let me know.

So, this worked..... Pressing that button with the 3 lines did it. When I initially did this, I just got a message that said loading. I wasn't very patient and only waited a couple seconds before pressing another button and switching screens. I was out on the boat yesterday. Pressed that button and it took probably 10 seconds. After that, the "Discoverable" option came up. Pressed that and then RA70 showed up on my phone. It worked just fine..... guess I need to learn a little patience. DID NOT have to mess around with the rear controls. Did everything on the Connext screen.

Uploaded a picture of the screen after I got it connected.

Attachments

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@tek4fun - I hope you will keep posting! This is the kind of help this forum benefits tremendously.

--
I will post as much as I can, but I am not able to log on as much as I would like. My specialty would be helping people with problems in the electrical system/components. Most of the time, so far at least, other people have been quicker with responses. You have an awful lot of very knowledgeable people here in the forums. I can not get into specifics, but I do spend a lot of my time working on Yamaha Jet Boats.