• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR240 Audio upgrade

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just got a 2019 AR240 and couldn't be more excited. First thing's first, the audio system, I plan on cutting holes in the back swim deck so the boat has 6 speakers as well as a Wet-sounds 10 Core speaker bar powered by the JL Audio M800, 6 channels for the speakers and two for the speaker bar. The speaker bar I am a bit skeptical of but I like the sleekness of it. Has anybody used this before or should I consider throwing tower speakers up there instead?

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Delvis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is what i did in mine. I installed 2 tower speakers and upgraded the existing ones. No issues whatsoever. I love it.

Z1500

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got the same boat and started on my stereo last night. FYI the crappy speaker grills pop strait off, no twist. You have to pry from the bottom little opening slot. And the RCA's to run to your amps come out of the back of the stereo on the swim deck.

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome thanks guys, I also read that some people have thrown some JL audio M series 7.7s in the bow of our boats. I haven’t picked up the boat yet and I want to change them out ASAP but do you think there’s room? Or would you need to modify the front cushions. I’m mostly going to have a younger crowd on the boat so I want it to sound good especially at higher speeds. I think I’m leaning towards the MX770s for the tower speakers but I’m worried about the 650s not being good enough when I’m driving

Z1500

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fronts are right on the edge of a curve in the fiberglass, bigger speakers would hard. I'm sure with enough work you could fit 7.7 but for pretty minor gains. Maybe a couple db and play down 10-15hz lower. I'd say if the 6.50's with a bunch of power to them aren't enough, then point two tower speakers into the bow. That would end up way louder than just the 7.7's

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2015 AR240 we just picked up Nov of 2018. I swapped out all stock speakers with MX650's, added two to the mid-cabin (SINGLE biggest improvement to sound) and mounted 1 JL IB 10" sub into the wall of the battery compartment. At 75% volume (50or so % amp gain, I believe) it's super clear and loud at WOT. Turn it up further and it really gets down. I dont have any towers (yet) or rear deck speakers (yet). I'm trying to determine which route I want to go, if any at all for a sand-bar, cruising type boat. Towers are much more expensive but you wouldn't "need" rear transom speakers and the new 8.8 JL's supposedly are epic. But, another pair of 6.5s or 7.7's in the rear I think would work 100% for just sitting behind the boat and up to several feet behind. With that, I tested my current setup the other day parked 4-5 foot from a sand bar/key (3ft of water), dropped anchor and walked into the key. You could hear the music there but you'd have to really turn up the volume to do so WITHOUT a rear set of speakers or towers. 99% of the time, I would never be on the key and have the boat music running (at least I don't think), however, I know many people do it.

I think the towers are the way to go but it's a much greater cost over adding a set of transoms. Not sure about 2019 but the 2015's yuo do have to cut the cushions if you want to use the factory cutouts in the mold there. I've heard people saying it'll cost $100-$200 total at a local upholstry shop. Plus you have to consider what's going to drive them. I have a JL M8/800 which is running all 6 MX650's with two channels bridged to the solo sub. I'd have to get a mono amp for the sub and move the rears to the m800 or if I go with towers get the M400/4 and bridge two and two since the 8.8 towers need some good power.

Z1500

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sound right at the captains chairs I found to be lacking pretty bad. The bow speakers don't get back to you and the rear speakers don't get the sound up to you very much cause they are pretty far back. I'm putting some 2way 8's right next to each captains chair.

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2015 AR240 we just picked up Nov of 2018. I swapped out all stock speakers with MX650's, added two to the mid-cabin (SINGLE biggest improvement to sound) and mounted 1 JL IB 10" sub into the wall of the battery compartment. At 75% volume (50or so % amp gain, I believe) it's super clear and loud at WOT. Turn it up further and it really gets down. I dont have any towers (yet) or rear deck speakers (yet). I'm trying to determine which route I want to go, if any at all for a sand-bar, cruising type boat. Towers are much more expensive but you wouldn't "need" rear transom speakers and the new 8.8 JL's supposedly are epic. But, another pair of 6.5s or 7.7's in the rear I think would work 100% for just sitting behind the boat and up to several feet behind. With that, I tested my current setup the other day parked 4-5 foot from a sand bar/key (3ft of water), dropped anchor and walked into the key. You could hear the music there but you'd have to really turn up the volume to do so WITHOUT a rear set of speakers or towers. 99% of the time, I would never be on the key and have the boat music running (at least I don't think), however, I know many people do it.

I think the towers are the way to go but it's a much greater cost over adding a set of transoms. Not sure about 2019 but the 2015's yuo do have to cut the cushions if you want to use the factory cutouts in the mold there. I've heard people saying it'll cost $100-$200 total at a local upholstry shop. Plus you have to consider what's going to drive them. I have a JL M8/800 which is running all 6 MX650's with two channels bridged to the solo sub. I'd have to get a mono amp for the sub and move the rears to the m800 or if I go with towers get the M400/4 and bridge two and two since the 8.8 towers need some good power.
This is just what I needed to hear thank you. I will stick with replacing the stock speakers with the MX650's then as planned. But it sounds like if I am going to put two speakers in the swim deck which would take up 6 channels, leaving two remaining which I planned on now throwing two JL tower speakers up top but I kind of want a sub, and now you make me think I should get 8 MX650's and throw them next to the captains chairs as well. Does a sub complete the sound? Or do you think it's unnecessary right now and I can add it later on in the season?

Option 1: 6 MX650 (swim deck added) w/ 2 MX770 tower speakers powered by one M8/800 amp
Option 2: 8 MX650 (swim deck & captain chair added) w/ NO tower speakers powered by one M8/800 amp
Option 3: 8 MX650 (swim deck & captain chair added) w/ 2 MX770 tower speakers & subwoofer powered by one M8/800 amp and M400/4

Options 1 and 2 are obviously cheaper but if I am gonna do it, I wanna do it right the first time so its ready when it hits the water in May. I am bouncing back and forth on the Sub idea because I don't know how it will sound on a boat nor have I ever heard one on a boat

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is just what I needed to hear thank you. I will stick with replacing the stock speakers with the MX650's then as planned. But it sounds like if I am going to put two speakers in the swim deck which would take up 6 channels, leaving two remaining which I planned on now throwing two JL tower speakers up top but I kind of want a sub, and now you make me think I should get 8 MX650's and throw them next to the captains chairs as well. Does a sub complete the sound? Or do you think it's unnecessary right now and I can add it later on in the season?

Option 1: 6 MX650 (swim deck added) w/ 2 MX770 tower speakers powered by one M8/800 amp
Option 2: 8 MX650 (swim deck & captain chair added) w/ NO tower speakers powered by one M8/800 amp
Option 3: 8 MX650 (swim deck & captain chair added) w/ 2 MX770 tower speakers & subwoofer powered by one M8/800 amp and M400/4

Options 1 and 2 are obviously cheaper but if I am gonna do it, I wanna do it right the first time so its ready when it hits the water in May. I am bouncing back and forth on the Sub idea because I don't know how it will sound on a boat nor have I ever heard one on a boat
I cut holes for 6.5 speakers in the swim deck without modifying the cushions. Just be careful about the wire harness behind the remote! Very tricky to avoid it...
I cut six (6) effing 5" holes for additional cockpit speakers and installed all DB651s, I have 10 now - sounds freaking unreal. I'm so happy.
Here are the extras - mid-ship strdb side:
View attachment 53820View attachment 53821

Port:
View attachment 53822View attachment 53823

And swim deck:
View attachment 53824View attachment 53825

--
After having ICON8s installed on the tower I would say the swim deck speakers are not essential.

--

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I cut holes for 6.5 speakers in the swim deck without modifying the cushions. Just be careful about the wire harness behind the remote! Very tricky to avoid it...

After having ICON8s installed on the tower I would say the swim deck speakers are not essential.

--
Okay so you think I should do 6 MX650s with 2 at the Captains chairs and 2 tower speakers ? Leave the swim deck the way it is?

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can I ask why you didn’t put the captains chair speakers in the same spot ?

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just got the same boat and started on my stereo last night. FYI the crappy speaker grills pop strait off, no twist. You have to pry from the bottom little opening slot. And the RCA's to run to your amps come out of the back of the stereo on the swim deck.
What are you planning on running in your system ?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can I ask why you didn’t put the captains chair speakers in the same spot ?
I don;t recall exactly, but the captain chairs are off set as well by a few inches. That midship speaker is important IMO as far as cockpit, the swim deck speaker can become superfluous, depending on what you get for the towers and how you tune and play it!

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love my Wetsounds soundbar, I have it pointing at the captains chairs to fill in the high ends that get drowned out by the wind. I also installed mid cabin speakers to fill that area in too. A sub does make a big difference and allows your speakers to focus their power on mids and highs and less of the deep bass. It is all about how much money you want to spend and how much time you want to put into it!

Z1500

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Really? I'd like to see that if you have a pic.

Z1500

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What are you planning on running in your system ?
I'm a weird hardcore audio guy. When I can I love to do my systems out of everything one brand and I've always found Infinity audio products to be fantastic, especially for the price. So I'm doing 3 sets of 6.5's (bow, mid, swim deck) and 1 set of 8's at the captains chairs and (2) 10subs for right now. +(2) 5ch amps. All of it Infinity with LED's. I'll see how it all sounds at that point and see what else I feel I need.

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

With opt1: I'd double-check the wattage needed for the mx770's towers. It's not enough to really power the 880's but I'm not sure about the smaller cans. I'd personally do mid cabin over towers OR rear deck if you're doing it in stages. There's a massive "hole" in the middle of the boat in regards to sound so adding two speakers there is > than everything else, in my opinion. So I'd do that then towers OR deck if you can't do both.

Option 2: This is a pretty solid choice and will give up a ton of clear and loud sound. Towers are really designed for (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) towing people. So it's for the wake boards, tubers etc to have some tunes while they are out back. However, you can use them for whatever you want. If you plan to park the boat off of a sand bar/key/island the towers WILL project 80+ft if powered behind the boat. I dont have them myself (yet) but there was a boat with JL towers in the wake zone and it sounded like a moving concert behind him. It did offend a few people at the dock who had children and didn't prefer their type of music, etc. Logically, if you're someone who's going to hang out behind the boat by the swim deck (that's us usually) then towers are overkill. However, you wont have to upgrade any further and could technically skip the rear decks. PRO's - You'll have some high quality great sounding speakers you can hear while moving and from afar. CON's - $$$ as you'll need to buy the speakers, cans, and another amp plus wiring, distribution block, etc..etc..

I think this is the best starting point for non-wake/towing cruisers.

Option 3: You can't do wrong with this is money isn't an object. And if its not, I'd considering splurging on the 8.8 towers. The m8/800 for the 8 650's and m400 for the towers.

One other thing to consider, you could also (if you want to go big instead of going home) is:

Option 4: Instead of 650's, do 770's in the cabin x6 (you have to slightly enlarge the factory holes but otherwise no issue)
Option 5: 4 650's in the factory spots and 2 770's in the mid cabin (I'm 90% sure they fit there but I'd dig around to verify)
Option 6: 6 650's inside, 2 770's swim deck - This seems to be a fairly popular option.

Add in towers as you wish with those option. Both the m800 and m400 still work.

Last thing - As much as I wanted to go 7.7's eveywhere, for the money odin@earmark said for the money the 6.5's where a really solid deal/setup. Bolt right into the factory holes (still have to cut mid cabin and rear if wanted) but otherwise they are near half the cost PER set x "X" number of sets of speakers. I think my boat sounds awesome now and I can always upgrade later (maybe swap in 7.7's in the mid or rear deck when I add them) and see the difference. Just something else to think about. You really wont hear the speaker on the bow from mid cabin back so if you're not really up there often then maybe 7.7's are overkill. IF you like to measure twice and cut once then splurge away!

Also: The sub (you can go IB or sealed etc) even a solo one, really completes the sound. I can't believe how well you can hear it even WOT, again in the mid-cabin towards the stern. If I sit in the transom area I can barely hear it even while parked unless it's cranked up to give an idea. Not complaining but its amazing how the sounds changes based on wind (open air environment, right?) and probably because its installed very low and the sound does travel well over the hump there to the back of the boat. Word on the street is the 8.8 towers are like subs or maybe are subs and you get some solid bass from them from what I've read so far.

I'm assume doing a Wetsounds setup would be similar but I can't confirm.

Z1500

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I'd say no Option1. Yes Option2 if sound inside the boat is the main concern. Or do Option2.5 would be like #2 but 2 Towers instead of swim deck and that would be more for sound in and behind the boat.

Ether way I would say you need at least one sub. This allows you to not try to push bass to all these other speakers and that makes them sound much better and be able to play louder without distortion. My decision was to go with two subs spread way out because it's a 24ft boat and you have to distribute those tones around.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length