• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha 252SE vs. 252SD

Davidm

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The fuel tank sizing on the website is still not fixed. The web guys are really slow. It also says that the 252XE wake boat does not have wakeboard racks, but the 252SD not a wake boat does. Must be wrong!
So I sent your info onto my Yamaha marketing contact and he says thanks! They are working on fixing the rack listing. What they told us earlier still stands....the tanks are 75 gallon, not 70. (covered in my differences xls)

hockiedad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi - new to the forum.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the SD & SE ? The compare function on the Yamaha site is not working.
The salesman told me that the SD has front ballast and is designed more for wake surfing. The SE uses that space as storage.

blamphere

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No Ballast of any kind in 252. The only difference between the SD and SE is that the SD includes Yamaha Drive system which are throttle paddles on the steering wheel for low speed steering assistance around the docks.

Otherwise they are the exact same boat with electronic throttles, and push button start etc.

JeffT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Both have Drive-by-wire/single throttle capability like the 2020 SE and X had last year.

Only the SD has DRIVE (the paddle controls for docking).
I called the dealer to explain this to me and they had no Idea. I finally found one guy that had driven one with the SD drive technology. The best way to describe it is it functions like a joystick on a boat with outdrives. The SE does not have it. The SE only has the drive by wire. Only the SD has paddles on the wheel that keep the boat in place.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
I called the dealer to explain this to me and they had no Idea. I finally found one guy that had driven one with the SD drive technology. The best way to describe it is it functions like a joystick on a boat with outdrives. The SE does not have it. The SE only has the drive by wire. Only the SD has paddles on the wheel that keep the boat in place.
I have a 2021 212 SD. The "D" is all about the paddles on the steering wheel. I have three options: "2 throttle, 1 throttle (engines synced), and paddle" controlled from the connext screen. The paddle is all for low speed maneuverability, especially around docks, launches, congested no wake traffic. I absolutely love them. When you are in paddle mode... you will NEVER have a throttle slip and slam hard into a dock. It is awesome. With a very little practice, you can kiss the dock gently and look like an absolute pro.

In addition, I think the SE and SD are universal in push button start/stop, single key for both engines, throttle sync (single throttle), power steering, no wake mode, "cruise control" RPM control.