• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 yamaha recall

rockinthesuburbs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
They all do this. Nothing nothing nothing nothing and then you have a half tank real quick. I monitor now using the trip screen.
And here I was thinking it was just part of the "break-in" and had to run through a few tanks of gas. Only have 6 hours on it so far and been through one tank. Had no problems with it on my '17 AR195 but with my '22 195S I have the same issue. Good to know I'm not the only one - will be keeping an eye on this to see if a fix comes up. Hoping it's more of an electronics/Connext issue than a problem with the actual fuel system.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
And here I was thinking it was just part of the "break-in" and had to run through a few tanks of gas. Only have 6 hours on it so far and been through one tank. Had no problems with it on my '17 AR195 but with my '22 195S I have the same issue. Good to know I'm not the only one - will be keeping an eye on this to see if a fix comes up. Hoping it's more of an electronics/Connext issue than a problem with the actual fuel system.
I'm going to assume you guys have shut the key off at some point, and then rechecked the fuel level? Early on when vehicles switched over to digital gauges and the signal was sent over a CAN network, this was a common issue. Slow update rate.

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'm going to assume you guys have shut the key off at some point, and then rechecked the fuel level? Early on when vehicles switched over to digital gauges and the signal was sent over a CAN network, this was a common issue. Slow update rate.
LOL...You got my hopes all up, Just went out and turned the battery on and fired it up, no good, still have a full tank, and I know thats not true. I hope it corrects itself.

rockinthesuburbs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
It's hit and miss - my average run time is usually between 30 minutes to an hour and I've taken it out several times since getting late March so several power off and back on cycles. Sometimes a power cycle will reset to the correct fuel level but most often times it's very random and drops suddenly. Almost like the float is stuck and then drops and reads the correct level. Hopefully that makes sense. Even if that were to correct the issue - I'd rather not rely on a power on/off to get a correct reading - obviously having it read correctly while fuel is being consumed is ideal. I'm somewhat overly cautious and refuel at the most convenient point between 20-40% fuel range so that's kept me from worrying about it too much for now.

AdamK195S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I thought the same thing so checked it a few days later. Still full. My wife noticed and said “Did you refill it before you came home?” Me nope… seems to be better on gas then they told us

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Im guessing the fuel float is part of the fuel sender and it works in a subpar manor, Im going to dig in, in a few days and give it a look and reinstall, if that does not answer the problem then Yamaha needs to fix the connext issue. Im not going to live with it.. Paid a tad too much to not know how much fuel I actually have in the tank. Still love the boat, but good greif fellas, cmon!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
LOL...You got my hopes all up, Just went out and turned the battery on and fired it up, no good, still have a full tank, and I know thats not true. I hope it corrects itself.
Well it was worth a try!

Charnldc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I believe the letter was for 2021 models, and it seemed to be an isolated incident and not a manufacturer wide issue, to do with the way the fuel level float was attached to the tank. Mine was perfectly attached with no issues; it took the dealer less than a minute to check.

However, this recall has NOTHING to with the Connex system and fuel gage response issue, this is a whole different animal that Yamaha refuses to address. The more we owners complain about it MAYBE Yamaha will get it resolved as it seems to be ALL Yamaha Jet Boats!

AdamK195S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I believe the letter was for 2021 models, and it seemed to be an isolated incident and not a manufacturer wide issue, to do with the way the fuel level float was attached to the tank. Mine was perfectly attached with no issues; it took the dealer less than a minute to check.

However, this recall has NOTHING to with the Connex system and fuel gage response issue, this is a whole different animal that Yamaha refuses to address. The more we owners complain about it MAYBE Yamaha will get it resolved as it seems to be ALL Yamaha Jet Boats!
Does anyone have a specific contact at Yamaha we could all send an email to? I’m calling Highway Marine now

AdamK195S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Does anyone have a specific contact at Yamaha we could all send an email to? I’m calling Highway Marine now
Just called Highway Marine in PA. They said they’d have to pull the sending unit etc etc. not aware of any issues though

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

My tank is 15-20% below where the gauge says it is

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Im guessing the fuel float is part of the fuel sender and it works in a subpar manor, Im going to dig in, in a few days and give it a look and reinstall, if that does not answer the problem then Yamaha needs to fix the connext issue. Im not going to live with it.. Paid a tad too much to not know how much fuel I actually have in the tank. Still love the boat, but good greif fellas, cmon!
Go into your connext screen and look at the fuel used, it displays the amount of fuel consumed in gallons. On my most recent fill up of 30 gallons the difference between what the connext showed, 30 gallons, and how much fuel the pump put in 29.6 gallons, much more accurate than the % gauge.

AdamK195S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Go into your connext screen and look at the fuel used, it displays the amount of fuel consumed in gallons. On my most recent fill up of 30 gallons the difference between what the connext showed, 30 gallons, and how much fuel the pump put in 29.6 gallons, much more accurate than the % gauge.
I’ll have to check that out. Oddly enough as we were out for a cruise Sunday we passed a huge Viking yacht on the Mullica and got a decent thump. Viola a few minutes later the the fuel gauge began working again. Tooled around for a few more hours and it steadily declined. I’ll have to match the % with the actual fuel used.
thanks for the tip

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Boy, I highly suspect a sticky fuel float on the fuel sender, Im hoping to have some time this weekend to get a look see. My boat sat for 2-1/2 months after I bought it with a full tank and I think I will give the sender a few taps when I get the floor board off and see if it moves the needle, before I pull the sender out. Fingers crossed.

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So, I had a chance to pull the fuel sender in an attempt to figure out why my tank reads 100% on the fuel guage when the connext says I burned 12.5 gallons and heres what I found. Sliding the float down the rod noticed the fuel guage stays at 100% intil it drops down to about 4" and then the guage reads 89%?

The senders looks to be a decent quality one and the float is in no way sticky, I just think its a poorly designed setup. With all my "napkin math" I think we are only getting accuracy to within 4-6 gallons.

The tank is not a perfect rectangle, it is square for about 9-1/2" before tapering into a vee another 4 or 5 inches. My guess is 50% is a pretty accurate reading and below and above not so much.

Anyway here where my fuel guage readings in inches as the float went down from the top "full".
3-1/2" =full
4" =89% first fuel guage reading below 100%
5" =78%
6" = 68%
7" = 57%
8" =43%
9" =35%
10" = 26%
11" =11% low fuel alarm
The rod is 12" and sits about 1" from the bottom of the tank.

Attachments

Last edited:

AdamK195S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Holy Crap! Amazing work! Thank you

AdamK195S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Here’s an off subject question: Does the hours meter continue to count when the engine is off but accessories on? If anyone has measured this I’d love to know. If not I’ll find out for certain today.

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Here’s an off subject question: Does the hours meter continue to count when the engine is off but accessories on? If anyone has measured this I’d love to know. If not I’ll find out for certain today.
No it does not count on the engine hours. When I got my boat new I had the stereo on for many hours while working on the boat.

JetBoatCaptain

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
They all do this. Nothing nothing nothing nothing and then you have a half tank real quick. I monitor now using the trip screen.
I have a 2022 195s and took it out for the first time yesterday and ran it for about 3-1/2 hours and the connext still reads 100%. Getting it to the dealer is a long drive and major hassle, I may just pull the floor out and get a look at the tank for my own piece of mind. So far, not exactly impressed with the connext.
I have the same issue with my 2022 195S which I picked up late last September, but couldn't use until this Spring. I now have 20 hours and have consumed as much as 15 gallons of fuel in an outing. The fuel gauge always reads 100%, so it's pretty much worthless.

I haven't taken it into the dealer yet because the season here is short and I'm waiting to compile a list of issues. I did bring it in for the fuel pump recall first thing.

The trailer braking system has been leaking brake fluid. That stuff is caustic and damaged the epoxy floor in my garage. Leaked a good amount of fluid on my driveway yesterday too as I was prepping to go out to the lake, so this is likely not an overfill issue.

The side doors that allow access below the helm and also on the port side do not stay closed. The garbage can fell off of its mounting the day I brought the boat home. It looked as though some teenage pot smoker designed the mounting system and did the installation.

The stereo volume is extremely weak.

I bought new and I bought a Yamaha for quality. I expected more.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a recall notice from Yamaha in the mail today. Not sure what it is, will know when I get home.