• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 E Series Bimini

brddog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
l love my E- Series and I love how much coverage the Bimini provides. However, putting it on is a pain even after developing a good process. I trailer about 35 minutes to our lake. How slow would I have to go to be able to leave the Bimini up without damage? Also, i don’t believe it is advisable to trailer with the tower lowered so that wouldn’t help would it? I am always a sweaty mess prior to launching the boat after putting the Bimini up and would love to leave it up always.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It handles speeds of 45+ on the water. So theoretically it should handle that in the road.

The only difference would be wind gusts coming from passing other vehicles or meeting oncoming traffic. Those gusts might be a little too much to handle and tear or split the fabric.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would find some back roads and go 35-45 and let people pass if they need to.

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Have 242xe. 2nd season. Bimini top came on from dealer , never touched or adjusted it.
We trailer 1hr each way to our lake , and once 3hrs each way to another lake. Never took bimini off.
We drive up to 75mph (maybe 80 downhill, pre hill climb) in PA. Probably average 65 total.
Bimini looks new. No flapping, no damage , no stretch . Never felt any wind pull or had any drive issues.
Garaged , so no UV or weather damage, which I guess could weaken.
...would think taking cover off and on could weaken it?
...also have yamaha premier cover and dont use the poles at all. Also no issues.
Hope this helps from 1 family view.

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
P.s. also love the bimini on the x. Worried it might be too big but was wrong - it's great! Sunny bow , sunny back & awesome for the eyes when pulling & looking in ski mirror.

Love the idea of the sunroof flap - wish I had that or a mod way to iron a zipper flap in

brddog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you @dietz! I was looking to see if anyone had experience towing with it on. I agree about loving the shade it throws. You can always find sun in the front if you are looking for it.

Hana

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Have 242xe. 2nd season. Bimini top came on from dealer , never touched or adjusted it.
We trailer 1hr each way to our lake , and once 3hrs each way to another lake. Never took bimini off.
We drive up to 75mph (maybe 80 downhill, pre hill climb) in PA. Probably average 65 total.
Bimini looks new. No flapping, no damage , no stretch . Never felt any wind pull or had any drive issues.
Garaged , so no UV or weather damage, which I guess could weaken.
...would think taking cover off and on could weaken it?
...also have yamaha premier cover and dont use the poles at all. Also no issues.
Hope this helps from 1 family view.
Same here, on our third season!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ditto... No issues, it only comes off during winter. Never a single issue, yet! (fingers crossed) Holds strong 40 min drive to and from lake 3-4 days a week. Did leave it up for a 3 hour trip to Green lake last year without issue.

Although, headed to Lake Shelbyville this week (4-hour one way), and debating whether to take it off or not, I guess, what's the harm in taking it off to be safe versus having a tear upon arrival.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ditto... No issues, it only comes off during winter. Never a single issue, yet! (fingers crossed) Holds strong 40 min drive to and from lake 3-4 days a week. Did leave it up for a 3 hour trip to Green lake last year without issue.

Although, headed to Lake Shelbyville this week (4-hour one way), and debating whether to take it off or not, I guess, what's the harm in taking it off to be safe versus having a tear upon arrival.

Just an FYI a few of us ( I think 8 or 9 boats so far ) will be at Shelbyville for Labor day weekend

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do you leave the tower up with the Bimini on (while towing)? I live an hour from the lake and average 55-60mph in towing. I purchased the boat at the end of last summer and the dealer told me to remove the bimini canvas during towing. I love the bimini on this boat, but this is a huge pain to remove and re-install for every use of the boat. Would love more input on this, this is my largest dis-like about the boat.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do you leave the tower up with the Bimini on (while towing)? I live an hour from the lake and average 55-60mph in towing. I purchased the boat at the end of last summer and the dealer told me to remove the bimini canvas during towing. I love the bimini on this boat, but this is a huge pain to remove and re-install for every use of the boat. Would love more input on this, this is my largest dis-like about the boat.
Leave it up, it'll be just fine!

Just be sure it is secured & ratcheted nice and tight. No difference doing 40-50 on the lake versus vehicle.

Last edited:

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I leave mine on if I know I'm maxing out at 60MPH and take it off if I need to take the freeway.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
how about opening the "sun roof"? More air would flow through? I don't trailer my LSE so not sure.

Hana

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I leave it on while trailing and sometimes it may be 2 hours one way on the interstate. I’m usually around 65-70 mph. I agree with it being a pain to remove and reinstall.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I take mine off for any extended trailering. Just don't want to risk it. I have used my label maker to mark arrows on the frame for where the straps need to go to make putting it on faster.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I take mine off to trailer. Yes its a PITA to put on and take off however, the thought of something coming loose, not seeing it up there out of sight of the mirrors and then getting shredded. Knowing my luck, that'd be on the WAY to a trip. Better safe than sorry.

I also leave the toper up. My thought is that it's designed to take more stress in that position so that's where is stays.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is there a pic somewhere of the strap routing for the '17+ E series bimini? I only remove it once a year and never remember in the spring how to route the darn straps!

Christopher Delano

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I too would like to see pictures or video of where the straps go for the 242x Bimini.

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Strap goes behind the crotch of the tube just ahead of the pivot point.96639

and gets threaded into the ratchet in the area beneath the velcro which holds the ratchet up out of the way.