• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 Limited S E-Series Anchor/Navigation Light Broken

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone installed an aftermarket anchor light in your e-series boat yet? It appears that the screws on mine were over tightened and when I tried to flip it up for the first time it broke off of the tower. I ended up using zip ties.

Oops I labeled the thread incorrectly... Should read anchor light.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I went to check out my anchor light last weekend, and couldn't get it to move.....had to stand on the seat to get eyes on it and figure out how it works...realized it has a flip up "latch" to unlock it. Someone posted on here that they'd broken that latch too...and they'd gotten the part replaced easily...let me see if I can find it.

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mine just "broke". After a bit of a spirited drive at WOT across the lake into headwinds, I heard some clanking. Stopped the boat, looked up top, and the light had broken off right at the pivot point. The screw was still intact, but the plastic cracked and split. Mine came in the "up" position from the dealer, and I could never figure out how to lower it, so I left it alone. Of course now that it's broken and I climbed up top to see it, I figured out how that tab works :).

Good news is dealer is replacing under warranty, so I've just got it zip tied to the bimini for now.

Dealer mentioned that they are not strong enough, and I am not the first.

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am thinking that I will try to find an alternative. I am not real excited about this one... in the mean time I will call the dealer and see if I can get a replacement.

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
if you find a better looking alternative, let us know! I'm with you... Not a fan of the stock one!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Milligsc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi guys, so how do you raise and lower the stock light ? Mine won't budge.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi guys, so how do you raise and lower the stock light ? Mine won't budge.
It is a terrible design. Mine broke, and the dealer replaced under warranty. I didnt want it to break again, so after they installed the new one, I lubed up the moving parts and looked over the mechanism. I found that you really have to loosen the screw holding the clip in before you operate the flip release, or you risk breaking it again. I also removed the entire light pole, and rotated 180 degrees so I could reach the screw easier. I contacted Attwood, and asked about options. They sell a fold down light called LightArmor All-Around fold down navigation lights. I would replace this POS if I did much night boating.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have an older boat so I don’t have the same light or issues with it but I went with a wireless Navi light like the one pictured a few years ago. So far so good but I’ve only remembered to use it a couple of times. It’s still on its first set of batteries.
59CC8D86-43F2-44F0-A4CE-33D49439DC43.png

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It is a terrible design. Mine broke, and the dealer replaced under warranty. I didnt want it to break again, so after they installed the new one, I lubed up the moving parts and looked over the mechanism. I found that you really have to loosen the screw holding the clip in before you operate the flip release, or you risk breaking it again. I also removed the entire light pole, and rotated 180 degrees so I could reach the screw easier. I contacted Attwood, and asked about options. They sell a fold down light called LightArmor All-Around fold down navigation lights. I would replace this POS if I did much night boating.
Any idea what the bulb is? Is it possible to replace the bulb with an LED? So annoying that every light on the boat seems to be LED, except the anchor light.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have an older boat so I don’t have the same light or issues with it but I went with a wireless Navi light like the one pictured a few years ago. So far so good but I’ve only remembered to use it a couple of times. It’s still on its first set of batteries.
View attachment 126128
I like that wireless idea, but with our fixed bimini, we need the extended height. They are about a foot high, and have to be folded down. A few members left them up all the time, and they just snap.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any idea what the bulb is? Is it possible to replace the bulb with an LED? So annoying that every light on the boat seems to be LED, except the anchor light.
True, the entire contraption is annoying. I havent looked at the bulb, but if I go that route, I may just change the entire unit. Its going to fail when you need it most.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I snapped my anchor light off a few years ago and I had the dealer replace it. ~$200 if I recall correctly.

IHawks

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone installed an aftermarket anchor light in your e-series boat yet? It appears that the screws on mine were over tightened and when I tried to flip it up for the first time it broke off of the tower. I ended up using zip ties.

Oops I labeled the thread incorrectly... Should read anchor light.
I just replaced mine and ordered it from partzilla. They stated it was oem from Yamaha. After trying to install, only one of the screw holes lines up with the factory hole. Agree with others, terrible design from Yamaha. I think I paid right around $100 bucks and it took 10 minutes to install.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe one of these would be a good alternative to an oem replacement.
106A7271-6BB4-4742-9563-88E6D03D4BC0.png2BFE08E1-2B05-4E5C-878E-751BC6312A96.png