• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 limited s e series starboard engine not cranking

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
Ok so this morning I checked the starter solenoid and it was bad so I swapped it with the good one to see if the engine would start. now it seems like the engine is seized as well because I hear the starter try to spin up but it cant.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Will it turn over with the plugs removed?

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
Will it turn over with the plugs removed?
i havent tried but i would like to ask why do you think that will change something?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Have you actually pulled out and reinserted the lanyard, or just verified that it's in?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Ok so this morning I checked the starter solenoid and it was bad so I swapped it with the good one to see if the engine would start. now it seems like the engine is seized as well because I hear the starter try to spin up but it cant.
If you're just hearing the starter spinning, it could mean that it's not pushing the starter to engage the flywheel. Can you hear the starter click out? Or is it just spinning in it's place?

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
i havent tried but i would like to ask why do you think that will change something?
In case it's hydro locked.

You could also remove the starter and test it on it's own.

Last edited:

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
If you're just hearing the starter spinning, it could mean that it's not pushing the starter to engage the flywheel. Can you hear the starter click out? Or is it just spinning in its place?
I hear the starter engage and then after a couple seconds it sounds like its disengaging

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I hear the starter engage and then after a couple seconds it sounds like its disengaging
So just clicking, no spinning? That can be the starter relay - not sure if Yamaha engines are like Mercruiser where you can jump the starter relay to see if it's the relay or starter.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First things first, have you checked the oil? Is it low on oil, high or right where it should be? Next, Is the starter engaging the flywheel or just spinning free? Does the engine turn over at all? If not don't try to start it any more. Pull the spark plugs and try to just bump it over, not fully start it and see if anything (water) comes shooting out of the plug holes. If it wont even turn over with the spark plugs out but the starter still tries you might have something in the impeller. With answers from these questions we should be able to get it narrowed down for you.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you get it figured out??

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
10-4 Keep us updated

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
I went to the dealer this week and got myself a new engine start relay and they also told me this issue sounds like the swelling of the jet pump liner. They told me its possible to fix by spraying a lot of blaster down the impeller shaft. I'm trying that today since I'm back with the boat for today, but I don't have much time. This does sound like the issue I'm having though

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
Ok so we finally fixed the problem by changing the wear ring on the end of the jet pump assembly. apparently there had been a small amount of corrosion causing a bump in the ring. the engine starts perfectly now, but the port started giving us stalling issues right when the starboard began working. we believe it could just be spark plugs on this engine though

Tom_W

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, so had this same issue. One engine cranked, the other nothing. Thought it might in the key switch harness (I replaced on of the key switches that had this annoying issue of shutting down an engine when it vibrated). After coming here, I open and closed the rear hatch (the boat had been sitting for a month on its trailer), boom the starboard engine started right up. So it was the rear hatch interlock switch. There are two (next to each other) on the starboard side. Go figure, one was closed and the other was open. So that was the fix - open and close the rear hatch deck and open and close the interlock switches.

JetboatBrad

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey all, I’m Brad and I have a 18’ 242 SE. I’m having what sounds to be the same issue with my port engine. The starter thumps or clicks like it’s starting to turn over but doesn’t and disengages. Starboard is good and starts every time. I did have an issue just before it stopped working where I couldn’t get any engine to start or attempt it. Like I wasn’t in neutral but I was. Then all the sudden it started working. Don’t know if this is 2 unrelated things or if it’s a culprit. I turned the impeller a cm at a time thinking it may be stuck somehow but it turned. Is there any way to put it in gear without it running so I can try and turn the crank? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I’m going to start another thread but I wanted to make sure you saw it since you have already dealt with something similar