• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

242 Limited S Surf build

rocknracing

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well after surfing for the past couple years and enjoying it more than wakeboarding I have decided to change some things up in my ballast system and add the surf wedge.

With keeping the boat on a lift most of the time I wanted to keep the wedge on the boat and have it raise up out of the way when we aren't using it so after some thought and talking with jcyamaharider we figured out a way to make it automatic. The one issue I had was I wanted to make it removable so I can tie the boat down on the trailer when we took it to another lake or the river. Taking the wedge off is easy it's the wiring. I don't want to have the wire run over the back of the swim platform and so running the wire thru the back of the boat is what I am going to do. The problem was I needed a completely waterproof connector so off searching the web and found a connector that is waterproof IP69 that I can mount on the back of the boat under swim platform and when it's not plugged in it has a cap that covers to keep water out. You have to rotate it which locks it into place so you don't have to worry about it coming undone. It should be above waterline at rest and moving but the connector is able to be underwater up to 6' I think.

Next since I already have 3 pumps in the boat I didn't want to add anymore so I am adding 4 electric ball valves so I can add another bag on the port side and then have a hose that comes out behind the seat on swim deck to fill a 400lbs bag on swim deck. Already have 2 400lbs on port and starboard side with 600lbs in ski locker. Will be adding a 750 on port side under seat. With all of that plumed in I will be able to fill all the bags as we drive over to our favorite surf spot. When one bag is done I can hit a switch and fill the other bag on that pump then when done I will be able to pump it all out as we are getting everything else put away. The only one I won't be able to fill or empty on the fly will be the swim platform unless I figure out a way to hold it in while moving when empty. At least I won't have to be throwing pumps over the side to fill the extra bags now. This will also allow me to fill just the 400 on both sides and skilocker and still have a even wake for wakeboarding.

As I start getting parts in and the weather allows be to get outside to work on it I will update with photos and how things are coming along.

Last edited:
image.jpg image.jpg Got the switch panel installed yesterday which will control the ball valves, pumps, surf wedge, underwater lights, swim platform lights, and moved the factory cruise there cause I added a wet sound WS-420 in its location.

Last edited:
I am excited to see this project come around to be a surfing machine!!!

That spot for the 420EQ is perfect. Can't wait to see how this all turns out.

I am in the process of adding automated ballast as well, on the same boat, although not nearly as nice as your settup.

I moved all of my electrical to the starboard side, and ordered a custom bag from wakemakers for the port side. This bag will fill that compartment completely and comes in at 1,300lbs. Previously i put 2 400lb bags on that seat along with a 400lb on the swim deck. This new bag should eliminate all 3 exposed bags. This would simplify things for you as well.

Btw, nice settup you have there. Your switch panel is very clean.

Looking forward to seeing your automated surf wedge.

I would love to install ballast on mine. Do you have another thread that shows your original setup? I am curious on plumbing electrical etc...

I would love to install ballast on mine. Do you have another thread that shows your original setup? I am curious on plumbing electrical etc...

I do but I think it's on the other site. I am traveling today and all I have is my phone so once I get back I will look for it and post a link for you.

I am in the process of adding automated ballast as well, on the same boat, although not nearly as nice as your settup.

I moved all of my electrical to the starboard side, and ordered a custom bag from wakemakers for the port side. This bag will fill that compartment completely and comes in at 1,300lbs. Previously i put 2 400lb bags on that seat along with a 400lb on the swim deck. This new bag should eliminate all 3 exposed bags. This would simplify things for you as well.

I thought about having a bag made but want to be able to keep the weight balanced so we can wakeboard which is why I am adding the extra bag instead of one big bag. When we where testing the wedge we had my current 400lbs bag in the port side compartment, 750 on the seat, other 400 on the back seat and then the 400 on swim deck as well as the one in the ski locker. When we took off the swim deck bag we noticed a difference so that one was really helping. We usually have 2-3 people besides driver in the boat so the 400 on the back seat we won't use. Will use people weight there! So I figured if I could get rid of the 750 bag and get it under the seat I would be set. Plus the wife hates seeing the bags and climbing over them! she said she could live with the one of the platform which is good cause there is no way to hide that one!

Your boat was one of the best I ever surfed behind , exited to see this !!!!
Thanks Mark it was better than I thought I could ever get with this boat.

I thought about having a bag made but want to be able to keep the weight balanced so we can wakeboard which is why I am adding the extra bag instead of one big bag. When we where testing the wedge we had my current 400lbs bag in the port side compartment, 750 on the seat, other 400 on the back seat and then the 400 on swim deck as well as the one in the ski locker. When we took off the swim deck bag we noticed a difference so that one was really helping. We usually have 2-3 people besides driver in the boat so the 400 on the back seat we won't use. Will use people weight there! So I figured if I could get rid of the 750 bag and get it under the seat I would be set. Plus the wife hates seeing the bags and climbing over them! she said she could live with the one of the platform which is good cause there is no way to hide that one!
Very impressive indeed. Are you able to fit both bags in that port compartment along with your batteries, or did you relocate them?

Like others, I am excited to see what you have done to automate the Wake Wedge.

Here is the video when we were testing behind @rocknracing boat.

Back