• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242-X Seacock Valve

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Kane Thanks for the insight. I am a true beginner having never tried it so there is no doubt that my 5 lbs less and athletic ability will not make up for the experience that your neighbor has. I don't have a board yet so I am wondering if I get a really big and floatly board if it would be worth it in giving up some maneuverability. What board do you have and what are its specs? Are there boards out there that might work?
Don't know much about this surfing thing but certainly want to give it a try. Just want to buy the best board to get started with.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Kane Thanks for the insight. I am a true beginner having never tried it so there is no doubt that my 5 lbs less and athletic ability will not make up for the experience that your neighbor has. I don't have a board yet so I am wondering if I get a really big and floatly board if it would be worth it in giving up some maneuverability. What board do you have and what are its specs? Are there boards out there that might work?
Don't know much about this surfing thing but certainly want to give it a try. Just want to buy the best board to get started with.
Yes a longer board will help you ride and definitely get a wakesurf rope. I believe my board is a 59" Hyperlight. Its easy to get up on and will ride nice but it wont be very tricky. Your welcome to try it if your in the area.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are you adding any ballast, as in a piggy-back system etc.?
The 242Xs OEM ballast is definitely "a little light in the loafers" as my father-in-law would put it, lol. Needs at least another 1,000+ lbs or so. I'm curious what you find as I am currently tackling this myself. My feeling is those boats of ours can throw an AWESOME wave if you are willing to ballast the heck out of them.

--
I haven't added additional ballast yet but I will definitely add some this summer. I couldn't agree more that its a bit light though.

Christopher Wenaas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi All!

Proud new owner of a 2016 242-x E-Series. The whole family is loving the boat. I've already met a number of other happy Yamaha owners out on Lake Wylie, SC...

Quick question: Where is the seacock valve on this boat? The connext system is telling me to check this both on the home screen, and the drive control seems to reference it when I try to operate the ballast.

The boat just came back from it's first (10 hour) service, so wondering if the mechanic did a function check and forgot to open a valve back up.

Forgive my ignorance if this is a simple thing. I've been around boats since childhood, but, this is my first purchase as an adult. I didn't see this in the manual (and Yamaha oddly stopped publishing PDF manuals as of 2015+, which would be searchable). I found one mention of seacock valves in this forum, but, didn't tell me where it is.

Appreciate your help!
Steve
Had same question. Found reference in user manual. IMG_1527.PNG

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I found it impossible to see what was open and what was closed, on the ballast valve (under starboard engine)

Solved the problem by putting my phone/camera down in engine compartment and taking a picture (with flash), then I could tell which was which-

I don't have pic or remember right now-

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On mine, up allows washer in and out, handle down I presume it's closed

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
While prepping my boat for Bimini I figured I'd close my valve for safety sake. I discovered that the handle for my valve runs into the bottom of the engine and thus cannot be closed! :banghead:

I'll be showing that to the dealer when I drop her off at the end of the season for other issues....

JoeP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I decided to go look at my boat in storage and I found what I believe is the valve . Does anyone know what position is open?
So I decided to go look at my boat in storage and I found what I believe is the valve . Does anyone know what position is open?
Which direction is fully open on the sea cock valve? I have mine in the up or vertical position but the Connex system states there is an obstruction and will not fill.
Any suggestion? Thanks in advance

Vlad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Up is open and to the left (starboard) is closed. You can try fully closing, starting the engines, then shut everything down, including removing the key to reboot and then open the value. I keep mine closed when the boat is in the slip. Otherwise my ballast gets a little bit of water.

JoeP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you, but why is the connex screen starting there is na obstruction?

JoeP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Stating there is an obstruction.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Vlad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dont know. I received obstruction message when I closed the valve with full ballast and shut down both engines. When I restarted the engines and tried to empty the ballast I had obstruction message. Even after I opened the valve. After I rebooted the system by taking the key out the message went away and I was able to empty the ballast.

JoeP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you all for the input. The ballasts filled just fine today. I don't know why the obstruction message came on.

Mikeyc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dont know. I received obstruction message when I closed the valve with full ballast and shut down both engines. When I restarted the engines and tried to empty the ballast I had obstruction message. Even after I opened the valve. After I rebooted the system by taking the key out the message went away and I was able to empty the ballast.
I’m having the same issue. I tried this “soft reboot” but within a few minutes the error message comes back. Any thoughts on other ways to clear this up. Is there a clean out valve anywhere to look for actual obstruction?

I really want to avoid a 10 hour round trip drive to the dealership. There are posts that reference resetting pins in connection harness at the pump. Can someone provide pictures or thoughts. Thanks!!!!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m not sure but I think the ballast system operates similar to the bilge pump when water is flowing it creates a different load on the motor . When no water load is sensed either flowing in or out and the timer or dash reading still show water in the bag it throws the code to protect the pump from running dry. It seems to be more prevelant on water pumping out as the bags collapse on them selves the out let grabs the bag material just like if your vacuuming with a hose and you suck something to big to fit in the hose and it blocks the flow . You can hear the vacuum tone change but the ballast system probably recognizes some type of currrent flow change and goes into the safety mode reading sea cock obstruction. This happen to me when I pulled the boat out I had 1/2 in the starboard and 1/4 in the center , that was the one that I could tell was sucking the bag . Pulled the boat hooked up my jumper cable and emptied the water on the street . Next day went back in tried to enter a setting and it went to empty the bags because it was still reading from the day before 1/2 and 1/4 so I hooked the pump jumper back on filled to the amounts 1/2 and 1/4 and it operated normal no code. This time I had a jumper pack to see how it would run the pumps it was reading 13v and under load 12.2 . The jumper pack is handy heading out early for water sports run the pumps with the jumper pack and cable . Saving the batteries for some floating tunes

Mikeyc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think that my pump is shutting off as it is only sucking up the empty bag. Where do you buy this jumper kit to circumvent the computer pump... sound like if I can manually fill the bags with the jumper cable pump the. I can have the system empty it, then recalibrate thought the connext system and hopefully be fine. Can you call lease provid link to where I can purchase this jumper / pump kit. Thanks!!!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length