• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242-X Seacock Valve

steve-jansen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi All!

Proud new owner of a 2016 242-x E-Series. The whole family is loving the boat. I've already met a number of other happy Yamaha owners out on Lake Wylie, SC...

Quick question: Where is the seacock valve on this boat? The connext system is telling me to check this both on the home screen, and the drive control seems to reference it when I try to operate the ballast.

The boat just came back from it's first (10 hour) service, so wondering if the mechanic did a function check and forgot to open a valve back up.

Forgive my ignorance if this is a simple thing. I've been around boats since childhood, but, this is my first purchase as an adult. I didn't see this in the manual (and Yamaha oddly stopped publishing PDF manuals as of 2015+, which would be searchable). I found one mention of seacock valves in this forum, but, didn't tell me where it is.

Appreciate your help!
Steve

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I can't help you with the question but I do want to welcome you to the forum. This is the place to hang out to fully appreciate all things jetboat.
When the answer comes please take a picture and post it for the next guy with this question.

TheGilster22

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had the same thing happen on mine. The valve is on the starboard side of the starboard engine. I believe it has a red handle. Mine was about 50% open from the dealer.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:Welcome: @steve-jansen ! Great bunch here. Can't wait to see and hear about your boat.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My X doesn't have a problem loading water in or out but I did check for a Valve to open or close and found nothing. I'd love to see a pic if possible.

Thanks

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've never looked for a valve (and the photo below is from Yamaha's prototype boat...so it might be different than the production models), but I'm going to guess that the seacock valve would be right at the intake through the hull which is in the center of the photo below where the white hose is.

Studio_20160719_231502.png

Larkintx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have the same problem with my 2016 242x. I quickly looked over the manual today and couldn't find anything. If someone could please post a photo or video I would greatly appreciate it.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't know about your specific model, but on my 13' 212x - it's back in the transom below the clean out hatch - below the transom seating area. Way down there.

Larkintx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I decided to go look at my boat in storage and I found what I believe is the valve . Does anyone know what position is open?

Attachments

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have the same boat and i have not dropped it in the water yet, I'm interested to hear the outcome here.

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I decided to go look at my boat in storage and I found what I believe is the valve . Does anyone know what position is open?
What year and model is your boat

Larkintx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I will check mine!!!

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes that is it, but I can't remember if that's the closed position or not. The problem is the dam trailer bunk is right in the way completely blocking any view from the underside...
I get the same warning message but it works fine so long as I'm not moving faster than idle speed.

ChrisLLM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have you used your boat for wakesurfing? I have a 2014 Limited and am considering an upgrade to your new boat. However, one of the major reasons we'd upgrade is to get the integrated ballast. Love to hear any experience you're had with it.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@ChrisLLM, We've wake surfed alot behind our boat and while its fun for the kids or smaller adults, if your 175LBS plus, you'll have a tough time throwing the rope.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Kane - Curious how you determined 175? I am getting myself back into long distance triathlon shape and tipped the scales at 169.8 this morning. If I add my own ballast system but no wedge or anything like that what do you think I would need in terms of a board to go ropeless?

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey Chris, I probably should have said approximately 175! lol How I came up the number....Our neighbor who owns a Wakesetter and is a very seasoned Wakesurfer wanted to try surfing behind my boat and wasn't able to surf off the rope. We tried a myriad of Ballast options but just couldn't get him off the rope. He weighs appox. 175lbs. I also tried off the rope but I just thought I ran outta talent and @245...I dont have a chance!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Chris, I probably should have said approximately 175! lol How I came up the number....Our neighbor who owns a Wakesetter and is a very seasoned Wakesurfer wanted to try surfing behind my boat and wasn't able to surf off the rope. We tried a myriad of Ballast options but just couldn't get him off the rope. He weighs appox. 175lbs. I also tried off the rope but I just thought I ran outta talent and @245...I dont have a chance!
Are you adding any ballast, as in a piggy-back system etc.?
The 242Xs OEM ballast is definitely "a little light in the loafers" as my father-in-law would put it, lol. Needs at least another 1,000+ lbs or so. I'm curious what you find as I am currently tackling this myself. My feeling is those boats of ours can throw an AWESOME wave if you are willing to ballast the heck out of them.

--