• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242LTD S Sinks in salt water

mammoet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
has anyone else had this happen? I need advice.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard.

Please tell us more about what happened.

How are the engines and electronics? Did you get the engines running and change the oil several times?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't think they could fully sink with flotation in them. I'm interested to here the full situation now though.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ugh, that sucks. If the engines/electronics were under water, call your insurance company and let it go. The issues you'll have later might not make it worth it to try and save it.

mammoet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard.

Please tell us more about what happened.

How are the engines and electronics? Did you get the engines running and change the oil several times?
I have opened as many of the electrical connections as possible and sprayed with contact cleaner. Removed the intake manifolds air filters
changed the oil and filters and shoveled a cubic yard of sand out. My mooring (a concrete block) was shifted by powerful waves onto the shore where the 242 ltd s took a beating in the break, the cover broke at the bow and she filled up overwhelming the bilge pump. carpet and cushions went for a swim some were recovered miles away she listed to starboard and that side was totally submerged port side was under only in bigger waves. We took a line and held her on the beach. 2 backhoes and 1' lines turned her and pulled her up a 4' vertical sand bank by the bow cleat. then dragged her over the beach to hard sand and lifted her onto the trailer. I can't say how the engines and electronics are. My the nearest dealer is far away. We are going to turn her over today with the spark plugs removed and do another oil change. Does anyone have the torque specs for the intake manifold? After a few oil changes and removal and replacement of the gasoline we are going to try to start her. Long term what are my best options.

mammoet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn't think they could fully sink with flotation in them. I'm interested to here the full situation now though.
She didn't completely sink. She was caught in the break on the beach for an hour and was submerged hundreds of times by waves over the bow. She sat on her stern in the sand.

mammoet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah...more information needed! Lots of questions...like:

How long was the boat in the water?
Did you have shore power connected?
Where was the water coming in?
About an hour taking waves over the bow. Turned 15 degrees to starboard on the sand completely filling every wave cycle. Taking yards of sand. No shore power no dock. In the water for an hour.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mammoet, I'm really sorry about what happened to you. Sounds like some pretty bad sea/beach conditions. Where did this happen?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@mammoet PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the service manual. It has all the specs you'll need.

Sorry to hear about this. We would love to hear more as you try to get her going again.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In 2015 two Yamahas were swamped outside of Fort Lauderdale and sucked water into their running engines.

One went to a dealership who sat on it for several days before doing anything. The engines were ruined. The owners insurance totaled the boat.

The second owner took his boat to a friend's house, removed the spark plugs, got the water of the pistons, and did several oil changes along with running the engines to dry them out. As far as I know his boat is fine.

mammoet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ugh, that sucks. If the engines/electronics were under water, call your insurance company and let it go. The issues you'll have later might not make it worth it to try and save it.
That's a big issue. If I fight to recover her as is will she die by a thousand electronic failures? Will this be a long term failure? Any experience?
The replacement electronic parts are 10K The stereo is 2.5K and that's without labour $. A replacement boat from Florida is 40K. If we save the engines will
they eventually corrode? The starters the generator. If this forum has any hard data I need it now because my insurance company will want to save the boat at least cost (as do I) but I don't want this to be a living death. Parts are 4 days away. Trained mechanics do not exist. everything here is air freight + customs duty + VAT.
@mammoet, I'm really sorry about what happened to you. Sounds like some pretty bad sea/beach conditions. Where did this happen?
Nevis W.I. Caribbean side. Unusual weather!

mammoet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In 2015 two Yamahas were swamped outside of Fort Lauderdale and sucked water into their running engines.

One went to a dealership who sat on it for several days before doing anything. The engines were ruined. The owners insurance totaled the boat.

The second owner took his boat to a friend's house, removed the spark plugs, got the water of the pistons, and did several oil changes along with running the engines to dry them out. As far as I know his boat is fine.
Thanks I wonder long term if the salt ate his electronics?

mammoet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@mammoet PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the service manual. It has all the specs you'll need.

Sorry to hear about this. We would love to hear more as you try to get her going again.
mammoet@swbell.net is my email address. We are about to try to turn over the engine. Thanks!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Email sent.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mammoet that just stinks sorry to hear it. Starting with engines get the oil drained immediately if there is no water in the oil I would probably still change it out a couple times to be on the safe side. If it does have water in the oil remove the spark plugs disconnect the fuel pump and you will want to crank the engine till no more water comes out of the pistons then change the oil several times over till its clear. If it has been sitting for a few days with salt water in the engines you are likely done as there will be issues probably down the road but only time will tell. I would replace any metal electrical connection as they will likely fail at some point due to corrosion. I know of one other person who had that kind of sand in the boat and he told me that he never could get it all out even 5 years later he would still find sand in the the various compartments and there was always sand under the clean out tray at the rear. If the engines have no water in them it will still be a costly job and there could be long term issues with other components if the engines have water in them and sat for more then 24 hours I would force the insurance company to replace the engines or total the boat out but I have to imagine if they have to replace both engines and all the other work the cost will likely be high enough they will total a 2011 242 any way.

mammoet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@mammoet that just stinks sorry to hear it. Starting with engines get the oil drained immediately if there is no water in the oil I would probably still change it out a couple times to be on the safe side. If it does have water in the oil remove the spark plugs disconnect the fuel pump and you will want to crank the engine till no more water comes out of the pistons then change the oil several times over till its clear. If it has been sitting for a few days with salt water in the engines you are likely done as there will be issues probably down the road but only time will tell. I would replace any metal electrical connection as they will likely fail at some point due to corrosion. I know of one other person who had that kind of sand in the boat and he told me that he never could get it all out even 5 years later he would still find sand in the the various compartments and there was always sand under the clean out tray at the rear. If the engines have no water in them it will still be a costly job and there could be long term issues with other components if the engines have water in them and sat for more then 24 hours I would force the insurance company to replace the engines or total the boat out but I have to imagine if they have to replace both engines and all the other work the cost will likely be high enough they will total a 2011 242 any way.
You are correct with one important caveat. When cranking the engine with all the plugs out you will see the entry point for the water by locating the biggest
spurt flying out of a particular cylinder. Then replace the plugs hand tight only and leave the plug out for that cylinder. The increase in the volume of water will amaze you it flys out under pressure...then replace that plug and leave out each other cylinder plug one at a time.... then when there are no more water spouts replace the plugs connect the fuel and pray. I did she started and ran... still you are totally correct salt is evil and will eat everything it touches. Sand is forever. I am going to hold my Ins co. accountable for that.