• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242x revs but will not move forward

runmike44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My 2016 242x was working fine for about 10 minutes. I slowed down, then tried to move forward again. The starboard engine would rev up but would not move forward or reverse. I turned off the starboard engine and then turned it on a couple of times but it did not correct the issue. Fortunately, the port engine was working in both forward and reverse and got us back to the dock. Back at storage, I inspected the gates visually and everything appeared ok. Any ideas what I need to check and/or replace?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something covering the intake?? Clean out plug seated?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
parking brake is on !!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Fortunately, the port engine was working in both forward and reverse and got us back to the dock. Back at storage, I inspected the gates visually and everything appeared ok. Any ideas what I need to check and/or replace?
On the way back the blockage could have flushed out. It doesn't take much to make the jet thrust cavitate a few pieces of eel grass or other debri can throw off the efficiency of the thrust. How does the impeller look and feel are the edges smooth?

runmike44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I went back to storage and started the motors. The gates both reacted identically in neutral, forward, and reverse. The impellers look ok. Just hesitant to go back on the water only to have same problem. Guess that's the only way to see if all is ok, huh? If anyone has any ideas on what to check before going back on the water (besides shooting the sob), I'd appreciate hearing them.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
If the buckets are moving up and down normally, the clean-out plug is sealed and there is no visual signs of debris at the grate or impeller, it has to produce thrust if the shaft and impeller are intact.

As others said, the blockage may have cleared on the way back into shore but a classic sign of a blockage is no thrust.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
These things have been mentioned already but I’ll reiterate. Make sure the clean-out port covers are secure. I would also pull the pump to check for debris. Even if you don’t find anything, sometimes just pulling the impeller out and reinserting it does the trick. Easy process. Here’s how to do it.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One more thing to consider checking since you made it back on one motor. If you didn’t clamp the water line, you could have gotten water in the engine. Maybe check the color of your oil in starboard engine.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
These things have been mentioned already but I’ll reiterate. Make sure the clean-out port covers are secure. I would also pull the pump to check for debris. Even if you don’t find anything, sometimes just pulling the impeller out and reinserting it does the trick. Easy process. Here’s how to do it.

Great video! That stick would have been hard to see from under the boat.

runmike44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One more thing to consider checking since you made it back on one motor. If you didn’t clamp the water line, you could have gotten water in the engine. Maybe check the color of your oil in starboard engine.
Will do. Thanks for info.