• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242X Stereo - How to Exploit Free Unused Watts

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just don't let your kids (if you have any) get any ideas about the "talk-back-mic" being a karaoke machine, lol.
I loved the WS420, and so did my kids. It is (almost) a must have once tower speakers are involved.

--
Agree. Love my 420. Couldnt do with out. Plus when tampered with from within, it really gets the system going.

Tony Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I did a pretty big upgrade to the factory 242x system. Added WetSounds EQ 420BT, REV 10's and Punch Amp to power REV 10's, and another Polk 10” IB Sub. Oh and finally installed the Sea Deck from our Fall group buy.

Here's the awesome free part! Our Polk 5005.5 amps Sub output is 200w at 4 ohms or 400w at 2 ohms, but our factory subs are 4 ohms so adding another 4 ohm Sub in parallel tapped 200w of unutilized power from the amp for Free! It made a HUGE difference and seems like it woke up the original single sub. Truly sounds like tripling the Bass instead of doubling down…

View attachment 55110 View attachment 55107 View attachment 55108 View attachment 55109
Hey bud sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm trying to chnage my system up this year and have read through this thread but wondering if you had any issues cutting that hole for the second sub and when you say wire it in parrellel you run two separate wires from the amp to each speaker to get the 2 ohm power?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As long as you have 2 4 ohm speakers, yes you would run 2 separate positive wires and 2 separate negative wires to get 2 ohms.

I used a circle cutter guide with my rotozip to cut my second speaker hole.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hey Tony, jcyamaharider is correct. Sub wires Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative is parallel. Because the gauge of the wire running from the amp to the factory sub is so huge, I spliced in about 6 inches before the factory sub instead of at the amp but either location will work.
And a jig saw wont work that that small area, I used a small trim router with a cutting bit. If you are very experienced at cutting free hand you can, but you won't get a second chance if it grabs suddenly and runs outside the line. Make a circle cutting jig with a jig saw and some 1/4 plywood paneling. Or you could pay your local custom stereo shop to just cut the hole for you. Here in Atlanta that runs $75 to $100 per hole plus the hassle of transporting your boat, but can be a huge piece of mind having someone with the proper tools, Jigs, and experience cutting fiberglass.

Tony Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey Tony, jcyamaharider is correct. Sub wires Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative is parallel. Because the gauge of the wire running from the amp to the factory sub is so huge, I spliced in about 6 inches before the factory sub instead of at the amp but either location will work.
And a jig saw wont work that that small area, I used a small trim router with a cutting bit. If you are very experienced at cutting free hand you can, but you won't get a second chance if it grabs suddenly and runs outside the line. Make a circle cutting jig with a jig saw and some 1/4 plywood paneling. Or you could pay your local custom stereo shop to just cut the hole for you. Here in Atlanta that runs $75 to $100 per hole plus the hassle of transporting your boat, but can be a huge piece of mind having someone with the proper tools, Jigs, and experience cutting fiberglass.
Alright this should get me setup pretty good with not having to do much but some wiring and a sub. Thanks again I'll let y'all know how everything turns out!

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
You bet!! Keep us posted and pics!!

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@David Analog I'm going to high jack this thread for a second instead of starting a new one. If I use a 4 channel amp and want to run 6 speakers on it if I run the rear two channels in parallel to power 4 speakers will those two channels produce the 2 ohm power or is this a big no no to have 2 of the 4 channels running at different ohms?
I'm highjacking the highjack because I have a similar question. @David Analog I have a HT-4 driving (4) wetsounds 650's in the cockpit. I want to add a pair of 650's to the swim deck. What's the most effective way to do this? Can I use the same amp or do I have to go 6 channel? If a run in parallel as mentioned above does that convert the speakers on those channels to 2 ohms? Does that impact the 650's since they are 4 ohms speakers? If I can will the 2 channels that have 4 speakers have noticeably less power? Since I have the Fusion UD755 HU, maybe bypass the amp and use the internal amp Class-D 4 x 70W (@ 2 Ω) for the swim deck pair, though again i'm not sure the impact of feasibility of running 2Ω to a 4Ω speaker.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For bigger holes I use a Dewalt cut out tool and if a speaker comes with a back plate...I use that as a guide clamped down on the opening. The reality is the speaker covers the edge of the hole. The only thing you have to do with this is make sure you dont go too fast, and make sure the bit doesn't get so hot it starts melting the fiberglass. It is really easy...but puckermaking!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The single chassis sink and shared power supply can be tested on a July/Aug afternoon. .
I can attest to this. On my previous 4+1 (sub channel) amp driving 2 tower speakers bridged, and a sub, it would overheat in July/Aug when I would drive them hard. The JL 5 channel has not done that. I can drive it hard without it overheating.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Dremel 3000 + Circle Jig + Carbidge tip = Sub cut out in 5 minutes, and cost less than $100.