• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242XE and Salt Water

drf450

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi There, looking for some advice.....

I currently have a 242XE that we keep at Lake Erie and we are going to be taking it south for the next season. Looking for tips on the dos and don'ts for salt water.

We will keep the boat in the water for up to 2 weeks at a time, but then it will be pulled out and stored on a trailer.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Do you plan on pulling it out of the water to flush each day if use or at least periodically? If not you will want to add some tow valves so you can at least flush while in the water.

Hi There, looking for some advice.....

I currently have a 242XE that we keep at Lake Erie and we are going to be taking it south for the next season. Looking for tips on the dos and don'ts for salt water.

We will keep the boat in the water for up to 2 weeks at a time, but then it will be pulled out and stored on a trailer.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Well enjoy your trip , far as the boat goes when you take it out, give the engines a good flushing with fresh water ,
hose off the back nozzle area and bottom of the boat. If you want give the bottom a good coat of polish. Hope that helps

It will stay in the water for up to 2 weeks, so I will need to flush it each day in the water. I will do some research on the tow valves. Thanks!

Get ready for a good clean. Barnicle build up will start in ~2days. It's not visible but you will feel it with your hand, other than that flush good. Rinse off trailer as soon as you pull it out.

From my own experiences with leaving any boat in salt water depending on the water temperature you will need to pull it out of the water every 2 or 3 days and really clean the recess areas around the pump and intake grate, barnacles grow fast in those areas, that was my personal experience in the Tampa bay area around June when the water was pretty warm ,not sure how it would be in the Atlantic where the water is colder.

I use car wash soap that also contains liquid wax to flush my engines in salt water use , this has worked for me for many years and many thousands of hours, also spray the cables and pivot points of the nozzles and reverse buckets with white lithium grease and also spray the pump body . This will help keep things from attaching to the surfaces next be sure to add zinc anodes to your pumps the factory anodes are magnesium. Just leave those on as well as they are more for fresh water. Also spray every one of your hose clamps with the white lithium grease.

Attachments

• white lithium.jpeg
    white lithium.jpeg
    703.6 KB · Views: 0
One more trick for a quick cleanup to remove the salt from the hull and coat it I use thick white washcloths and spray furniture polish, like Pledge, I spray and area and wipe it off with the rag, then do another area etc, etc .it cleans off the crud and makes it shine and does not scratch the finish of the boat. While leaving a nice coating on the hull. You can get the aftermarket spray wax at small stores like 5 and below or dollar general or similar stores so it is not costly to do.

Also find a web page for tide charts in the area you are boating and every single day read and know the tides so you don't hit bottom or get stuck and pay close attention to your anchored boat near shore as well, it only takes hitting one oyster bed to ruin your hull.
Here is an example this is the one I use for my location https://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/tampabaysites.html .
Once you get familiar with the tides you know where to stay away from if the number is too low and you get familiar with bridge pilons and where the water is at certain tides as well as if it is going out or coming in by the direction of the wake left by the pilon and how fast it is moving by that also.
I have been boating in Florida salt water since I was 20 years old back in 1972 so I have learned a few things, some the hard way.
Also pay attention to the weather if you feel the wind change directions and the temperature cool off abruptly get the hell back to the dock no matter how nice it may look because here in Florida you have about 30 minutes to get away from the water before the really bad storms hit you.
And the lightning over salt water is really dangerous as are the storm waves,, Also learn to read ground swells if you see a place where the waves look obviously larger that means the water is shallow and keep away from it.

Thank you for all the info! I will read up on all of your suggestions.

Ok Salt is a totally different world , also remember if you venture out never go further than 1/3 of your fuel will take you so you have twice as much to return in a storm and learn the proper length of an anchor rope needed for the depth of the water and be sure you have a good anchor. I had a few times when I took a 19 foot boat out 16 miles in the gulf that all these things were very important.

i second this post as i am in similiar situation .... does anyone have link for tow valves ? ....... best is a boat lift at the dock

Buy a couple of spray cans of corrosion x and spray everything in the engine bay including electronics, i keep my boat in salt water a week a a time , never an issue. Once you pull it Salt away everything. no go and have a great time

Back