• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252/255 Curb Weight w/ trailer

Acidsniper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello all, been lurking and researching for a while and recently placed an order for a 252 FSH. Doing some prep work for when it's delivered (I'm guessing Q1/Q2 '22) is what is the curb weight of the 252 with trailer? I estimated 4800 for the boat, 1k for the aluminum trailer? I know loaded it will vary based on fuel, gear, etc, just trying to get a baseline dry. I know my F350 won't even sneeze at it, but trying to run the numbers for the wife's Yukon XL for family trips.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Acidsniper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great, thanks! Figured my guesstimate wasn't too far off but wanted to make sure. I had 1k Firestone bags installed on it for our camper so figured I'd have no issue, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Drag

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I tow my 252 fsh with a 2007 suburban w/5.3. It handles ok but struggles on hills here in Wisconsin. I would love to upgrade to a ram 2500 with Cummins diesel. Btw, with a full tank, weight jumps up to almost 7k lbs.

Acidsniper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow my 252 fsh with a 2007 suburban w/5.3. It handles ok but struggles on hills here in Wisconsin. I would love to upgrade to a ram 2500 with Cummins diesel. Btw, with a full tank, weight jumps up to almost 7k lbs.
Thanks for the input! Our camper is pretty close, 6k with empty tanks but pushes close to 7k with full tanks. Wasn't planning on towing with a full tank long distances so should be fine. I appreciate the first hand knowledge, thank you!

LeonPhelps

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What size hitch ball do our trailers use ? Also what would you guys suggest to use for a mount on a Mercedes GLE, Should I use something with a drop ?

Drag

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What size hitch ball do our trailers use ? Also what would you guys suggest to use for a mount on a Mercedes GLE, Should I use something with a drop ?
I’m pretty sure I m using a 2”. i think it can use 1 7/8 too.

Acidsniper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There's not a set x vehicle = y drop. All towing in general depends on the vehicle, tow weight, tounge weight, etc. At the end of the day you want the trailer level and not all vehicles carry the weight the same. A general rule of thumb is your vehicle will sag 1" - 3", generally, when hitched. I don't know the tongue height at level on these trailers, but you can generally figure your drop off of that calculation.

Example (all measured from ground up) :
Trailer tounge is 20" when level
Vehicle hitch center is 25" from ground
So we can figure a 3" drop from tounge weight so you'd need a 2" drop (25" hitch - 20" trailer = 5" - sag of 3" = 2" drop)

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have always been a Ford guy.. I was never a dodge guy until I owned an 07 dodge ram 1500 that gave me no issues for 60k miles (traded it in at 200k miles). When I was looking at diesels my mother in law and friends with Ford diesels were having major issues with their DEF systems. MIL recently replaced the entire DEF/exhaust system and the truck only had 55k miles on it, barely still had a warranty thank god. Hers was a 2016 Ford F250 platinum package. So I did my research and traded my truck off for a 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie diesel. It was already deleted which was nice, no need to worry about the DEF, and I bought it well before covid prices shot up so it's worth probably around 10-15k more than what I bought it for. Changing the fuel filters and oil are a piece of cake, costs about 100 bucks with buying the filters off RockAuto and then 15-40 rotella oil from Walmart, change them every 7500 miles-ish even though the reset says it can go further. Eventually I will probably get a tuner hooked into it. So I definitely recommend a Cummins to anyone, I have put 25k miles on mine since buying and have hauled the boat many miles without issue. The biggest kicker for me was it was an inline six cylinder instead of V8. The newer Chevy and Ford Diesels are so ridiculous to work on, the cab has to be pulled off to get to the back injectors! So if I every have to have major work done on the Ram at least it can be reached without tearing the body apart.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m pretty sure I m using a 2”. i think it can use 1 7/8 too.
Not maliciously calling you out but this is bad information. Never use a 1 7/8" ball for a 2" trailer coupler.
1 7/8" balls are only for small little utility trailers less than 3000lbs.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We all have different preferences, but personally, I don't think I would jump to a Cummins diesel for pulling a 7,000 trailer. If I didn't think my current truck had enough power, I would probably jump up to a 2500 with a 6.4L gas engine. Not a knock on the diesel, but I don't think I would ever drive enough miles to justify the cost.

Jim

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We all have different preferences, but personally, I don't think I would jump to a Cummins diesel for pulling a 7,000 trailer. If I didn't think my current truck had enough power, I would probably jump up to a 2500 with a 6.4L gas engine. Not a knock on the diesel, but I don't think I would ever drive enough miles to justify the cost.

Jim
I didn't think I would ever own a diesel, because I have always been able to work on all the gas engines I have owned.. But the longevity of them outweighs the cost, and they hold their value even with extremely high miles. I just know too many cummins that have lasted well over 300k miles and barely any gassers make it to 300k without the towing wear and tear. Even know a guy who lives close to me with 750k miles, and he's still running that cummins as crazy as that is!! I mean most would trade off their vehicles before the high mileage, I just don't want to keep falling into the middle-class trap of always having a car payment 😅 Eventually as we keep investing and are staying smart with our money we will have the means to buy new vehicles with cash, but that money will be used for the Lake House instead of vehicles for sure!

You are right, though, if you don't plan on driving a ton of miles it doesn't really make sense to own a diesel!! I sure like whatever I hook onto the truck I barely even notice it's back there 😎😎😎😎😁

Drag

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I didn't think I would ever own a diesel, because I have always been able to work on all the gas engines I have owned.. But the longevity of them outweighs the cost, and they hold their value even with extremely high miles. I just know too many cummins that have lasted well over 300k miles and barely any gassers make it to 300k without the towing wear and tear. Even know a guy who lives close to me with 750k miles, and he's still running that cummins as crazy as that is!! I mean most would trade off their vehicles before the high mileage, I just don't want to keep falling into the middle-class trap of always having a car payment 😅 Eventually as we keep investing and are staying smart with our money we will have the means to buy new vehicles with cash, but that money will be used for the Lake House instead of vehicles for sure!

You are right, though, if you don't plan on driving a ton of miles it doesn't really make sense to own a diesel!! I sure like whatever I hook onto the truck I barely even notice it's back there 😎😎😎😎😁
Can’t beat the torque a diesel has.