• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

1) I thought it was a good joke, and forwarded it to a few of my friends.

2) I don't agree with anything being deleted without discussing it with the OP first.

3) @SuperJetDan - settle down bro. You ain't going anywhere. You're a valuable part of this forum.

... it isn't welcome according to the vast majority of the membership.

That's the problem, I probably don't care to talk to the vast majority of the membership on those topics, but to those who would care to engage I would... I find sports talk offensive and an utter waste of time, but it's OK according to the majority of membership... It's just not interesting or intellectual... So I don't read those topics or participate or take offense... I just find it silly that's all.

I still love the forum. :-)

Posts don't actually get deleted (right away), we move them into a "moderation queue" - which is where the one in question sits - while it gets discussed offline. That is the best way to deal with "reported" content. And Yes, the post in question was reported by a member as being offensive. So @Bruce put it into moderation and began an offline discussion with the OP.

This thread hasn't been "Reported", which is why it hasn't been taken offline, but please refrain from taking personal pot shots at each other.

Back to the fun here in Shelbyville!

"what is legal about Illegals Immigrants and what is to like about them flooding our Country, does this make me racist? No it does not, I have several Hispanic friends and they don't care for illegal immigration either. What do people like about Terrorists, you know the religion of Peace Islam?"\

X2 Dan.

By the way, with over 800 members, and a poll which currently stands at 50-7 in favor of not allowing "political/religious" discussion, is this truly a "majority" of members when less than 10% of the members have responded to the poll?

"Wild west" style forums quickly devolve into the worst of the worst. Like it or not, some moderation is needed.

I thought maybe a little follow-up to what @Julian explained about how a reported post is moved to moderation, was in order. There seems to be some recentment that action is taken before it is discussed. This is just a perception by forum members that are not involved directly, the discussion is already taking place behind the scenes. As Julian explained, a private conversation is started asap, and the post is discussed with the OP. But the fact is, if anyone makes a post that is out of bounds, there are going to be differing opinions on it. And the membership at that point, doesn't need to weigh in on it. That is the very reason it is removed from view, so that more controversy, criticism, taking sides, distention, and hurt feelings don't develop or are kept to a minimum. Let's face it, we all want to say what we want to say, and we all have our opinions...and as they say, opinions are like assholes, we all got em, and we all won't agree all the time.

We all came here to enjoy our boats, get answers, share camaraderie, and either continue or make new friendships with like minded people. Doing so, we are all naturally going to go beyond the topics that this forum represents. That is your business and you can discuss that outside the forum. We are not providing you a place to set up a podium, soap box, political tent, or a platform for you to take jabs at your opponents. Those have been clearly outlined as undesirable traits, and the membership of this forum has supported those views from day one. This has to be self policing. If it isn't, we all need to be man enough to say "oops, my bad", and move on. We learn something new everyday, and while it may appear that the dictatorial moderator just guts a member without direct discussion, nothing could be further from the truth. The discussion is happening, and the issue in question is in limbo. All of us (moderators) are also discussing it behind the scenes. A reminder here...none of us came to jetboaters.net to be moderators, none of us. We came here, just like you, to find a place to enjoy our boats, get and share help, and friendships. And the very reason we don't want this type of stuff on the forum, is that it takes away from that. And...it takes many folks out of their family life, work life, and social life...while they try to deal with it. So we all need to consider how what we say may not be offensive to us, but might be to others, and maybe just not go down those roads. And hey, as they say, we're all human, so mistakes will be made, we will fix it, and move on. Nobody is getting banned right up front, and nobody is being asked to leave, but we all need to realize that our own opinion is not the only opinion. We love jetboaters and want it to remain that way!

I have always avoided commenting on these types of threads. Just not worth my time. But I decided to put my 2cents (or less) in.

I don't know all the details but it sounds like the admins are simply trying to keep the forum the way the people that took the time vote asked for. If there is an problem go speak directly to the person or meet with them. Amazing how people act so differently face to face as compared to how they act on the internet or email! I am not directing this to anyone just a general POV and hope everyone can continue to enjoy the forum and communication around boating and everything around boating. Love my boat and appreciate all the information and help I always receive here!

One of the GREAT aspects of this forum is that we have an open dialogue with one another. I think that it's a good thing that these things get talked about out in the open. That is if we are all grown up enough to keep from attacking one another.

So does this mean we are at 799 now? We'll have to strip the 800 award from the other dude on that thread and it's all super jet douche's fault

Opppps! Sorry I meant super jet Dan. Must have been a subliminal typo.

Yes, Please NO Politics, Religion, or Deep Truck and Sports debates..... blah.....

It is too easy to take these in a dark direction....

Just Boats and Boating life...

thanks
Larry

Don't we have a "Political" forum for debating topics such as the one in the subject thread? I for one tend to stay away from those forum areas, I get enough political debate from my in-laws, friends, etc. I apparently missed the thread that created this discussion, but if it was in a specified forum for that purpose I don't understand the issue. If it wasn't in the right area can't it be moved to the correct area? Of course this assumes we have a political forum, I've never looked.

I hate to see us lose a member over something inconsequential to the main purpose of the site, Boats and our love of the water.

.....when I was 10 or so I mentioned to my Dad about everyone always waving at each other on the Water........

He said yup, those are the same people thank honk and give you the Finger on the Highway....
LOL

All I could think of is what he meant by "give me the Finger".....

No politics on Boats....it can ONLY GET UGLY

Don't we have a "Political" forum for debating topics such as the one in the subject thread? I for one tend to stay away from those forum areas, I get enough political debate from my in-laws, friends, etc. I apparently missed the thread that created this discussion, but if it was in a specified forum for that purpose I don't understand the issue. If it wasn't in the right area can't it be moved to the correct area? Of course this assumes we have a political forum, I've never looked.

I hate to see us lose a member over something inconsequential to the main purpose of the site, Boats and our love of the water.

The post that brought this whole thing on was in the "funny" forum. The joke itself was fairly funny, but should have been marked NSFW or maybe just RACIST & DEROGATORY in the title. While I laughed at the joke, I don't think that the funny forum was the correct place. But I am not sure that we have a place here for the post... Which in my mind means that the post didn't belong here and should have been posted somewhere else on the web. There are plenty of places to post silly things such as that joke, but this is not one of them.

Just my 2 cents (or 1/2 cent) worth....

@cane.mba, we had a poll asking members if they wanted a political forum. The majority said no so it was decided not to have political discussion.

The post in question was extremely racist and inflammatory.

I also hate to loose any members. We want this to be a forum for everyone. But to be so the content posted needs to be acceptable to the body of members. Regardless of where we go with political discussion in the future racist content will not be tolerated.

We did not ask Dan to leave, we asked him not to.

The post that brought this whole thing on was in the "funny" forum. The joke itself was fairly funny, but should have been marked NSFW or maybe just RACIST & DEROGATORY in the title. While I laughed at the joke, I don't think that the funny forum was the correct place. But I am not sure that we have a place here for the post... Which in my mind means that the post didn't belong here and should have been posted somewhere else on the web. There are plenty of places to post silly things such as that joke, but this is not one of them.

Just my 2 cents (or 1/2 cent) worth....

@cane.mba, we had a poll asking members if they wanted a political forum. The majority said no so it was decided not to have political discussion.

The post in question was extremely racist and inflammatory.

I also hate to loose any members. We want this to be a forum for everyone. But to be so the content posted needs to be acceptable to the body of members. Regardless of where we go with political discussion in the future racist content will not be tolerated.

We did not ask Dan to leave, we asked him not to.

Bruce, Mel, Julian (and I apologize if I left anyone off the list). Please don't think I am second guessing anyone, or that I am being critical of the site administration. I never saw the original post, so I was posting my very generalized opinion. There is never a place for racist or demeaning posts even in a political forum, or NSFW. That's just not something our society tolerates outside of a bar room environment, or email.

My point which I obviously didn't make very clear, and I apologize for that, is simply that it sucks to lose a member over a dumb post that doesn't even apply to why we're here. Getting bent out of shape and quitting a forum because someone thought a joke or comment was racist or derogatory is petty. Just apologize for posting something in poor taste and move on. I also don't think other members on here should have jumped on him and started an internet fight. This was an issue for the mods and the offender to handle, and the rest of us need to stay out of it.

I really thought we had a "Political Forum" so as you can see, I never visit those, and could care less if we have one or not. They get heated and it's the quickest way to kill a board.

Back