• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

A Great Product to Clean the Boat Hull

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just had to share this information with you. We took the boat home (she stays in a covered wet slip in the winter) to get ready for the summer. One of the hardest things is getting the hull clean. We always have growth and stains. We were fighting this and my lovely wife decided to try some other products we have laying around. One item we had got to clean out a bathroom in one of the rental homes. She sprayed this on the hull and in a matter of seconds it was clean! We then started to spray it and I would use a scrub brush to spread it in and make sure it covered everything. After about 20 seconds I hosed it off. The hull is absolutely clean white. I would have a few spots to go back over that I thought was just where I had not spread the product on properly. if you use this you will be very happy! The product is Goof Off Rust and Stain Remover. I like Goof off anyway and this is just another great application. In the fall I am going to get this stuff and put it in my sprayer so I can easily apply it.

Attachments

• The greatest Stuff to clean with.jpg
    The greatest Stuff to clean with.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 56
Interesting....its main ingredients are oxalic and hydrochloric acids. Oxalic is what gets rid of the rust stains, the hydrochloric is what is cleaning the boat. Which means it has the same primary ingredient as any of the products that list muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid). I've heard, but not looked for, that Home Depot sells muriatic acid in "bulk" rather cheaply....so you might want to check that out too.
#cleaning

Last edited:
If you use any kind of acid on your hull, you will wear off the gelcoat with each application - stains grow back faster after every cleaning. We try not to use harsh chemicals - but put a good coating of wax or some other protectant on the hull which allows easier removal of the scum and slime. Just sayin'

@RumDiet never heard of that effect....all professional boat cleaners use muriatic acid to clean hulls - they've been using it on my hull for 4 years now and I see no ill effect....but I've not been looking for it either. @Glassman is there something I should be doing to offset this effect?

@RumDiet never heard of that effect....all professional boat cleaners use muriatic acid to clean hulls - they've been using it on my hull for 4 years now and I see no ill effect....but I've not been looking for it either. @Glassman is there something I should be doing to offset this effect?

OK, happy to give you my personal opinion and preferences, but that doesn't mean any other methodology is bad or wrong. Capish?

Acid has been used for, well, before my time.
Boat yards use all kinds of acids for all kinds of things.
Muriatic acid is great for removing the nasty yellow-brown stains you'll get from leaving the boat in a slip for a time.
And in bulk it's cheap.
Many of the off- the- shelf hull cleaners come pre-measured, but some don't and have to be reduced. So watch that.
Most contain, among other things, hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid, or oxalic acid. Maybe some other stuff, who knows these days.
Typically oxalic acid is in something most of us use- same stuff in Bartender's Friend and some other stuff you might have around the house like toilet bowl cleaners, etc.

Either way, yes it's used, no it won't harm gel coat if used properly.

That said, I don't use it if I don't need to. I don't leave the boat in the water much. Maybe a week at a time at most and that's in fresh water. Otherwise, I pull the boat daily and wipe it and clean it and have been found waxing it at midnight in the parking lot if it needs it. Or I need it. The cleaner you keep the boat, the easier it is to keep it clean. That's just me.
If you let those little organisms live on your hull while the boat's in storage and expect to clean it off easily in the spring, well, good luck with that.

My personal approach to keeping gel coat looking new is to wash it often with a very mild soap and not much of it - y'all know not to ever use dish soap - RIGHT?
If, after washing you have yellow stains, a scum line, etc. use a little elbow grease. If that doesn't get it then a mild acidic solution should do the trick.
And use your head. Don't leave it on too long, scrub and rinse it off with plenty of clean water, just like the label probably says. Yeah, I know..."What Label?"
Read the label, please. You'll get pissed when some of this stuff lands on aluminum! Or paint, or any other thing you don't want messed up. (one of the reasons I rarely use it)

If you are spraying the stuff, be careful. Wear a mask and glasses, brushes splatter and acid wrecks clothes - so don't bitch if your favorite board shorts come out of the wash with holes.

Acid won't wear off gel coat, it's not abrasive. It's actually much better to use a mild acid solution that anything abrasive from the standpoint of maintaining the gel coat. Also, sometimes acid is the best way to get stains out of porous gel coat.
The guys who see stains come back faster are the ones that didn't finish the job.
After cleaning with any acid hull cleaning product you have to rinse it well, you can dump some baking soda in a bucket of water and do a quick wipe down to make sure it's neutralized if you like.
Then I would polish the snot out of the area treated to help reduce/minimize the porosity and put a shine on the gel coat. You want it to feel like glass.
Then a good coat of wax.

Just be careful with whatever you use. I've seen collateral damage done to all kinds of stuff - canvas, vinyl, aluminum, paint, decals, rubber, somebody's favorite whatchamacallit - you get the idea.
Elbow grease is one of the best things I've found to get a boat looking good. Unfortunately it doesn't come in a spray bottle.

Don't use the nasty stuff while the boat is in the water or where it drains into the stuff in which your kids and hopefully fish swim, OK? Thanks.

I always keep a few bottles of Snow-Bowl toilet cleaner on the dock at work. It makes a snap of cleaning 150' of water line! It clings well and cleans off easily using the surrounding bay water and mild brush.

OK, happy to give you my personal opinion and preferences, but that doesn't mean any other methodology is bad or wrong. Capish?

Acid has been used for, well, before my time.
Boat yards use all kinds of acids for all kinds of things.
Muriatic acid is great for removing the nasty yellow-brown stains you'll get from leaving the boat in a slip for a time.
And in bulk it's cheap.
Many of the off- the- shelf hull cleaners come pre-measured, but some don't and have to be reduced. So watch that.
Most contain, among other things, hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid, or oxalic acid. Maybe some other stuff, who knows these days.
Typically oxalic acid is in something most of us use- same stuff in Bartender's Friend and some other stuff you might have around the house like toilet bowl cleaners, etc.

Either way, yes it's used, no it won't harm gel coat if used properly.

That said, I don't use it if I don't need to. I don't leave the boat in the water much. Maybe a week at a time at most and that's in fresh water. Otherwise, I pull the boat daily and wipe it and clean it and have been found waxing it at midnight in the parking lot if it needs it. Or I need it. The cleaner you keep the boat, the easier it is to keep it clean. That's just me.
If you let those little organisms live on your hull while the boat's in storage and expect to clean it off easily in the spring, well, good luck with that.

My personal approach to keeping gel coat looking new is to wash it often with a very mild soap and not much of it - y'all know not to ever use dish soap - RIGHT?
If, after washing you have yellow stains, a scum line, etc. use a little elbow grease. If that doesn't get it then a mild acidic solution should do the trick.
And use your head. Don't leave it on too long, scrub and rinse it off with plenty of clean water, just like the label probably says. Yeah, I know..."What Label?"
Read the label, please. You'll get pissed when some of this stuff lands on aluminum! Or paint, or any other thing you don't want messed up. (one of the reasons I rarely use it)

If you are spraying the stuff, be careful. Wear a mask and glasses, brushes splatter and acid wrecks clothes - so don't bitch if your favorite board shorts come out of the wash with holes.

Acid won't wear off gel coat, it's not abrasive. It's actually much better to use a mild acid solution that anything abrasive from the standpoint of maintaining the gel coat. Also, sometimes acid is the best way to get stains out of porous gel coat.
The guys who see stains come back faster are the ones that didn't finish the job.
After cleaning with any acid hull cleaning product you have to rinse it well, you can dump some baking soda in a bucket of water and do a quick wipe down to make sure it's neutralized if you like.
Then I would polish the snot out of the area treated to help reduce/minimize the porosity and put a shine on the gel coat. You want it to feel like glass.
Then a good coat of wax.

Just be careful with whatever you use. I've seen collateral damage done to all kinds of stuff - canvas, vinyl, aluminum, paint, decals, rubber, somebody's favorite whatchamacallit - you get the idea.
Elbow grease is one of the best things I've found to get a boat looking good. Unfortunately it doesn't come in a spray bottle.

Don't use the nasty stuff while the boat is in the water or where it drains into the stuff in which your kids and hopefully fish swim, OK? Thanks.
Be sure to cover your trailer with some 6 mil poly if using the acids.

Just to chime in....I had left my boat in the water for about a week last year before going into storage. It had brown stains and crude that wouldn't come off with regular washing. I bought some bulk oxalic acid on Amazon, mixed about 1 cup with hot water and palmovie dish soap in 1 gallon sprayer, sprayed the hull and within 5 minutes the hull was as white as it was the day I bought. Sprayed off and washed the entire boat.

@Glassman , I have heard not to use dish soap on a waxed vehicle. I guess it applies to the boat as well? Is it the wax that it strips or will it do more harm than that? I have added it to my wash bucket for years when washing the truck. The reason I adopted that philosophy, right or wrong, was that dish soap like Palmolive will soften road tars and remove them from fenders, wheel wells, and wheels. It also makes it easier to get the bugs off. But honestly, I generally use just a good automotive sudsing carwash like made by Turtlewax. Only when I need to get bugs and tar off have I added the dish soap. Regardless, I sure would like to hear a good explanation like your above acid explanation. Some home remedies can be great, others can cause Chaos!

Just to chime in....I had left my boat in the water for about a week last year before going into storage. It had brown stains and crude that wouldn't come off with regular washing. I bought some bulk oxalic acid on Amazon, mixed about 1 cup with hot water and palmovie dish soap in 1 gallon sprayer, sprayed the hull and within 5 minutes the hull was as white as it was the day I bought. Sprayed off and washed the entire boat.

@scokill I like the idea of buying oxalic acid in bulk. However, if you do not need it in large volumes I would just go with Starbrite Hull Cleaner. Never had to use it on my Yammie, yet, but it does do wonders to a funky hull. Dish washing detergent is okay, I'm sure, but why not an inexpensive car washing detergent, mild, non-ionic.

@Glassman , I have heard not to use dish soap on a waxed vehicle. I guess it applies to the boat as well? Is it the wax that it strips or will it do more harm than that? I have added it to my wash bucket for years when washing the truck. The reason I adopted that philosophy, right or wrong, was that dish soap like Palmolive will soften road tars and remove them from fenders, wheel wells, and wheels. It also makes it easier to get the bugs off. But honestly, I generally use just a good automotive sudsing carwash like made by Turtlewax. Only when I need to get bugs and tar off have I added the dish soap. Regardless, I sure would like to hear a good explanation like your above acid explanation. Some home remedies can be great, others can cause Chaos!
Yes, I wonder the same thing about @Glassman comment. I tend to use an inexpensive car wash detergent for that kind of thing.

Yes, the dish soap will strip off the wax you worked so hard to apply and buff. You can use it and should use it when you need to strip the wax, or say, when you decide to use a product like Rejex or maybe you plan on burning a bazillion calories while clay-baring the whole boat :confused:

I usually use Meguiar's® Gold Class™ Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner is a rich and luxurious product designed to both wash and condition paint in one easy step. The premium formula gently foams away tough dirt, road grime and contaminants without compromising wax protection.

• Gently foams away dirt and grime, while conditioning your paint.
• Premium formula gently foams away dirt and grime.
• Conditioners reveal color and clarity.
Read more at http://www.meguiars.com/en/automoti...oo-and-conditioner-1-gal/#1Fgg7ShM80pSy8hG.99

:rolleyes:

But I don't actually WASH the boat as often as I wipe it down with vinegar and water or one of the commercially available products like Hot Sauce or Meguiar's water spot remover or Last Touch - I buy that by the gallon! Like I always say, the cleaner you keep it, the easier it is to keep clean.

I'm going to see how Rejex works for me this summer. I've read a bunch of posts here and many of you guys seem to like it, so I contacted my friends at Amazon and they sent some right over. They are so good about that.

Do any of you guys hire professional boat detailers to get your boat in shape for the start of the season or on a regular basis? My buddys do and they usually drop at least $350 a pop. I chuckle when I see what they get for their money. But then again, I enjoy cleaning my stuff. It's therapeutic for me and Lord knows I need therapy as often as I can get it! :cool:

@Glassman , thanks for the clarification, it is as I thought. BTW, I too keep her clean and enjoy the therapy. However, the coach is more therapy than I can stand! I can wash and even polish aluminum wheels occasionally, and wax the front. But the whole project was well worth the $350 I paid to get it washed/waxed/wheels and mirrors polished/detailed. Of course it rained on it 3 days later:arghh:
image.jpeg

@txav8r there are exceptions to every rule...and that, my friend, is exceptional! No way would I tackle something the size of your rig on a regular basis. maybe once just to say I did and I'd gladly shell out a fistful of Benjamins to get the job done right.
I don't detail our toyhauler all that much, powerwash now and again when it needs it and it lives under a cover so it's usually fairly clean. I'll find out Friday when we head up for the weekend.

So, add an * to my post above...

* Size Matters

:cool:

Since I"m cleaning, buffing, and rewaxing at the beginning of the year, I'm not concerned about taking wax off...expecially so for the bottom of the hull.

Yeah I hear you @scokill , and I wouldn't be either if you were planning on a re-wax. I don't really even wax mine so it doesn't hurt I don't think. I have the same game plan as @Glassman , in that I clean when it comes out of the lake and find I don't ever need to wash it. It did however get dirty on last Septembers journey to nowhere, and I am going to have to wash and detail the trailer again to get the road grim off. Had it been in the water, it would have been hot sauced after and good as new!

@scokill I like the idea of buying oxalic acid in bulk. However, if you do not need it in large volumes I would just go with Starbrite Hull Cleaner. Never had to use it on my Yammie, yet, but it does do wonders to a funky hull. Dish washing detergent is okay, I'm sure, but why not an inexpensive car washing detergent, mild, non-ionic.

I don't know why you would spend the same amount for Star Brite as bulk that you can use essentially the lifetime of the boat. I can use a pump sprayer, soak, and rinse off. With start brite 32 oz for $16 I would have to use another method...i.e, more labor. Not appealing. The dishwashing soap was only to act as a surfactant, not clean.

Interestingly enough, star brite is 5-10% oxalic acid and 2-Butoxyethanol which is a surfactant...essentially soap...the rest is water.

Last edited:
I don't know why you would spend the same amount for Star Brite as bulk that you can use essentially the lifetime of the boat. I can use a pump sprayer, soak, and rinse off. With start brite 32 oz for $16 I would have to use another method...i.e, more labor. Not appealing. The dishwashing soap was only to act as a surfactant, not clean.

Interestingly enough, star brite is 5-10% oxalic acid and 2-Butoxyethanol which is a surfactant...essentially soap...the rest is water.
I agree! The way I see it - doing it your way, you are not only getting a superior product by mixing fresh solution from stock (who knows how old what I buy off the shelf is) but it is also 1000x more economical. I just have so much stuff in my garage for various projects, that at the end of the day I just spend another $20 on a bottle of Starbrite Hull Cleaner ready to go... will last me forever.

I use wood bleach diluted into a plant sprayer at the end of each boating season. Spray it on, wait about 5 minutes and wipe the scum off. then clean with mild soap and water.

My neighbor at the lake has been doing this to his SAME boat EVERY year for the past 25 years. His gelcoat shown no signs of excess wear or abuse.

Back