• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

A week in the boat yard....

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
image.jpg image.jpg As luck would have it, I'm spending the entire week in the boat yard. Got hauled out yesterday for bottom paint, engine/drive service and the many little things yachts need.

I figured many of you would like to see some pics of the adventure. Sunny and beautiful here....a little too sunny. I've been sweating like its spring time already.

Whoa Ho! That does not look like a Yamaha :)

Nice mini ship you got there!

ok, I gotta ask. @Murf'n'surf , someone glued the outdrive units to the bottom of the boat and backwards! Can you educate a guy that has never seen that before? What is the beam and length?...and make?

Wow...They got alot done cleaning the bottom since it only came out yesterday.

@txav8r They do look funny, especially when the props are on. They are Volvo IPS drives which spin around independently to act as bow and stern thrusters when operating it from one of the 3 joysticks. Their design allows the boat builders to save weight and reduce draft. She is a 75 foot Lazzara.

Wow...They got alot done cleaning the bottom since it only came out yesterday.
It wasn't too dirty due to having divers clean the bottom one to two times per month depending on the water temp (hot means it grows like the grass in your yard).

that's awesome....Do you have any full shots of it in the water?

That thing is a beast with four engines and outdrives mounted to rotating pods i think. I see hydraulics under the swim deck so i assume that can be raised and lowered as well. Given its size it must go through fuel like water through the gills of a fish. My only question is a rhetorical one: How do i get invited to ride on a boat like that?

Wow, had no idea they did that type of power on boats today. I googled it, found one for sale, and was ready to move in...until I saw the price! That would eat up both mine and the wife paycheck! lol

Why 3 joysticks? 3 locations on the boat for docking I presume?

It's actually fairly fuel efficient if you compare it to a traditional 2 prop/2 motor boat. Top speed is 28 knots on smooth water.

There are 3 joysticks for docking. 1 at the helm, 1 port aft deck and 1 starboard aft deck.

That is really impressive @Murf'n'surf How are the drives sealed when mounted like that? I am guessing it is very similar to an I/O except that the drive seal is below instead of behind? How do they get the units to swivel and control them? Really great engineering!

The seal is similar to an io, both sides bolt to each other with gasketing all around. I'll shoot some engine room pics tomorrow to give you the inside perspective.

You guys should watch the Volvo IPS youtubes. Those are so cool, makes you feel like you have bow and stern thrusters with how well they work even in crummy waters.

There are a couple 30something foot boats with those as an option. Of course the price nearly doubles when you add that option.

Yeah, it can't be cheap, but on an already expensive boat, why would you not have an option that helps keep the boat pristine! Thanks for the answers @murf! A boat like that would be a great live aboard platform...if it weren't for the cost!

Very nice! Thanks for sharing...look forward to seeing more pics! Does it have a bow thruster too?

If you can afford a 75' Yacht, fuel consumption is probably not a worry, and if it is, you probably shouldn't own such a big boat!

No bow thrusters. The pods arrange themselves to throw water towards the bow when needed. You can hold the joystick to one side and the boat will go perfectly sideways with small tweaks by twisting the stick to compensate more power to move the bow as it moves slower than the stern.

@txav8r She sleeps 8 plus two bunks for crew. Holds 200 gallons of water and has a watermaker onboard to produce unlimited water. You can live aboard eternally if tied to a dock with power and water.

@Murf'n'surf ... are you planning on using the Yamaha as your dingy? :)

@Murf'n'surf ... are you planning on using the Yamaha as your dingy? :)
Lol. A 23' boat is way too big for this boat. She holds a Seadoo inside the garage above the engine room and a 12' RIB on the swim platform.

Back