• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Accessories for 242xe

sealavie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We've just finalized the deal for a 2016 242xe and I'm wondering what extras I should purchase.

Here's what I have already have in the deal:
*Galvanized trailer
*2 snap on covers - bow and stern
*upgraded cooler
*4 year extended warranty

Currently on my list of add ons:
*anchor to fit in front storage compartment (I've read that need to verify fit)
*bumpers (open to suggestions)
*basketball goal
*jet boat fins (for low speed steering)
*life jackets
*underwater lighting
*additional cockpit lighting
*jetboaters.net spare tire cover

Ideas / recommendations?

Usage profile: 25% in ICW / brackish water; 75% fresh water

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Will need a throwable cushion and flares for USCG. And as @bronze_10 says...then the fun begins....

• Grill?
  • Fume Detector?
  • Trailer guide posts and covers?
  • I just bought bumpers (22" Taylor made super guard blue swirl) and lines
  • TOYS TOYS TOYS
I'm holding off on fins until I see how I like the keel on a regular basis

sealavie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I like the thought of a grill, but I'm not sure how much I would use. Fume Detector is a good idea, I saw that Julian posted one the other day. Should I buy bumpers and trailer guide posts/covers from the dealership? I'll hold off on the fins until I judge how much control the articulating keel provides. We are so busy the first weekend I will be able to use is Memorial Day wkend. Greg

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just went shopping at Cabela's and used their memorial day sale 20% off $300. Bought:
  • 4 Fenders (gave 2 to the buyer)
  • 2 new fender Lines (gave 2 to the buyer)
  • Anchor rope (gave the buyer of my old boat my anchor line)
  • 60" Guide posts
  • 48" HD Covers
  • Docking lines (gave 2 to buyer)
  • GoPro Mount (gave that to the buyer)
You can see if the dealer can match online pricing. I compared Cabela's to Amazon....and Cabela's won with the discount...was similar without. I'm sure you could buy individually at other sites for less....but I couldn't be bothered. I'll shop around for the Xintek fume detector as the prices on that are really variable...and it is a simple device. I think I've seen it for ~$145

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The grill is one of our favorite things to have on the boat. It's really nice to stop and have a lunch or dinner out on the boat and the smoke from the grill always makes us new friends. Almost every Friday night during the summer we go out just for a cruise to make dinner and enjoy being on the boat.
BUT, we like grilling. If you don't like doing it on land, it will only be marginally better on the water. ;)

The guide-on poles are easy to install, the just bolt on the trailer frame. I have the CE Smith brand with LED's on the top. Fair warning, the taller the better. If I'm on a steeper ramp and end up using a pole, the top of it rubs the hull. :(

Also, look into storage mods for the head compartment. Makes the area much more functional. There are plenty of ideas on here.

Have fun making the new boat yours!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Will need a throwable cushion and flares for USCG. And as @bronze_10 says...then the fun begins....

• Grill?
  • Fume Detector?
  • Trailer guide posts and covers?
  • I just bought bumpers (22" Taylor made super guard blue swirl) and lines
  • TOYS TOYS TOYS
I'm holding off on fins until I see how I like the keel on a regular basis

Regarding the fins, drove our 242X almost continuously from 0600 to 1530 yesterday, as I was taking some friends bass fishing, so lots of slow speed, gliding with the engines off.
Net-net, the articulating keel provides a nearly imperceptible influence, without thrust.
Just ordered my Cobra's-
YMMV, but I've decided there is more smoke than fire to the articulating keep providing meaningful control (without enhancement).

Last edited by a moderator:

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We've just finalized the deal for a 2016 242xe and I'm wondering what extras I should purchase.

Here's what I have already have in the deal:
*Galvanized trailer
*2 snap on covers - bow and stern
*upgraded cooler
*4 year extended warranty

Currently on my list of add ons:
*anchor to fit in front storage compartment (I've read that need to verify fit)
*bumpers (open to suggestions)
*basketball goal
*jet boat fins (for low speed steering)
*life jackets
*underwater lighting
*additional cockpit lighting
*jetboaters.net spare tire cover

Ideas / recommendations?

Usage profile: 25% in ICW / brackish water; 75% fresh water

Congrats Greg. Great talking to you the other night; I hope the information was useful to you-

Have to add:
-Docking lines (3 or 4)
-Signaling flag or flares
-If trailering, Lock for trailer (I fold back trailer hitch and use large combo cable lock to lock folded)
-First Aid Kit
-Anchor (Danforth S600 kit; 9lbs, 4' chain, 150' rope. Fine for day anchoring) Nearly certain this is Yamaha's "Deluxe Anchor".
-Fenders (I use large at 2 forward cleats and small at stern cleats (horizontally).
-At least, Chartplotter App for iphone/ipad or such (Navionics by far, best inshore)
-Float for boat keys (drop overboard once, scared for life)
-Weather app that warns of imposing storm (caught once, scared for life; I use "Storm").
-5 pin connector for tow vehicle (reverse brake release)
-Insurance

Likely need:
-Handheld VHF radio (Floating w/ DSC; HX870 for me)
-2nd (lighter) anchor or long line (or 2+ dock lines) for anchoring stern to beach (hold stern ashore)
-Fins (YMMV)
-Aux cord, cigarette lighter charger and cell charging cords
-Yamlube: Fog and Store-rite
-Tow ropes for floats, skis
-Holder for phone while at helm (I'm experimenting now...)

Enjoyable to add:
-4' hinged VHF antenna to wake tower (Bimini)
-Backup float switched bilge (Bimini)
-Underwater lights
-BBQ (Believing Coleman's FyreCommander (or such) way to go (size, legs, flexibility)). Have small Weber (too bulky); don't need all stainless unless staying in salt water (and bulky; .02)

As we discussed, I am actively in the midst of refining this list now...
Input DEEPLY appreciated!

Congrats Greg & Godspeed brother!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I felt that the keel did an awesome job of keeping the boat tracking straight during no wake mode straight line driving. I didn't play around at all with docking and slow speed maneuvering....time will tell for me.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I felt that the keel did an awesome job of keeping the boat tracking straight during no wake mode straight line driving. I didn't play around at all with docking and slow speed maneuvering....time will tell for me.
Completely agree the fixed keel works as advertised. Maybe so well that the articulating keel does little to influence direction, without thrust. (Admittedly, I was doing more slow speed, no thrust maneuvering yesterday than many may do in a season.)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The other item on my list is a Name....how much usable height is there between the slim cushion and the lower swim step? My daughter wants to call the new boat Hydrotherapy III....which is a little long to fit between the cushions like @OperationROL did with his name.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't know......based on the amount of letters being used, I think my name is 1 character longer than yours:

Perfect Heaven II - 17
Hydrotherapy III - 16

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The other item on my list is a Name....how much usable height is there between the slim cushion and the lower swim step? My daughter wants to call the new boat Hydrotherapy III....which is a little long to fit between the cushions like @OperationROL did with his name.

Below the slim cushion, to my eye, 3 1/8"
Between the cushions: 14.5" (w) * 9.25" (h)
If staying between the cushions, suggest putting the "III" centered, under the handle so that all letters can be larger.
Previous boat also had a more functional stern (not a billboard) so also put it's name on the hull of both sides of the bow-

IMG_2755.JPG IMG_2754.JPG

Last edited:

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding the fins, drove our 242X almost continuously from 0600 to 1530 yesterday, as I was taking some friends bass fishing, so lots of slow speed, gliding with the engines off.
Net-net, the articulating keel provides a nearly imperceptible influence, without trust.
Just ordered my Cobra's-
YMMV, but I've decided there is more smoke than fire to the articulating keep providing meaningful control (without enhancement).
I'd rather do without the extended keel, just adds to the draft of the boat, and no real advantage in my judgement. My original reason for buying a jet boat was for the minimal draft, I notice mine has a few scratches now where I thought I was deep enough when anchoring at the beach. Fins are a much more practical way to enhance the slow speed steering anyhow, why Yamaha just can't cast a nozzle with fins is anybodies guess :confused:.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd rather do without the extended keel, just adds to the draft of the boat, and no real advantage in my judgement. My original reason for buying a jet boat was for the minimal draft, I notice mine has a few scratches now where I thought I was deep enough when anchoring at the beach. Fins are a much more practical way to enhance the slow speed steering anyhow, why Yamaha just can't cast a nozzle with fins is anybodies guess :confused:.
Huh...my experience was that the keel and rudder helped a lot with straight line tracking and the need to course correct.....but I'll have lots more time to test this soon.... (waiting is killing me....and it will probably be 6+ weeks til I get her)

rmk600

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for posting this! Great ideas so far. We just went and looked at a Limited E series today for the first time and love it. Dealer has it in the showroom too so no hot sun while checking it out! LOL. Gonna get one for sure. Two ppl looking at my boat tomorrow. Wish me luck. I agree with the items everyone has mentioned also. 2 anchors is key for these boats!

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Huh...my experience was that the keel and rudder helped a lot with straight line tracking and the need to course correct.....but I'll have lots more time to test this soon.... (waiting is killing me....and it will probably be 6+ weeks til I get her)
So your orders in @Julian ? I bet you can't wait, nothing like getting new toys :D

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So your orders in @Julian ? I bet you can't wait, nothing like getting new toys :D
Word is that my boat will arrive in about a week!!! WOOT!!!! Of course we've booked a condo for Memorial Day down at the beach....so the boat will arrive Friday....and I won't be able to go get it still the following weekend! Murphys law will prevail I'm sure!

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations @Julian I've obviously missed all mentions of a moderator getting a new boat :confused:.
Your gonna love your new baby, what a summer your going to have :D:thumbsup:, just need @Bruce to step up the mark ;).