• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Advancing jetboater with questions!

McTwisted

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi all! Currently on 3rd year with a 2003 sugar sand tango 16ft jetboat. Absolutely love this boat besides the size. Looking to upgrade to a full size Scarab or Yamaha in the next year. I have a couple of questions for you guys.

1. 21ft vs 25ft: which would you get and why? leaning towards the larger one just because of more space and i think better handling in rough water.

2. Scarab vs Yamaha: preference and why? i have been in love with scarabs design and just want to make sure im not missing something. im also used to the reverse gate on the sugar sand which should be like the scarab.

3. 200hp vs 250hp motors: i have no idea on this one. i want to cruise and pull friends/family behind the boat(want wake edition). is the faster speeds worth supercharger rebuild costs? etc. any input welcome.

thanks guys!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My thoughts:
  1. Go bigger if you can afford it and fit it where you plan to store, and your tow vehicle can handle it. No one ever complained about having too much storage or space for friends. Also, the larger boat will handle rougher water a little better-if that is an issue where you plan to boat.
  2. Scarab vs Yamaha - I'd go Yamaha (I'm biased) - because I've just read too many concerns with BRP engines on the forum.
  3. I wouldn't go with a supercharged engine....too poor fuel economy.

McTwisted

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My thoughts:
  1. Go bigger if you can afford it and fit it where you plan to store, and your tow vehicle can handle it. No one ever complained about having too much storage or space for friends. Also, the larger boat will handle rougher water a little better-if that is an issue where you plan to boat.
  2. Scarab vs Yamaha - I'd go Yamaha (I'm biased) - because I've just read too many concerns with BRP engines on the forum.
  3. I wouldn't go with a supercharged engine....too poor fuel economy.
Thank you for your input!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats on your planned upgrade!

1. I recommend finding a boat show where you and your family can get on a few of each model that you are thinking of. The biggest boat is always nice, but it takes more to store, more to tow, and can be a bit more challenging to handle. I have always been impressed with the amount of space that the 19 and 21' jet boats offer.
  2. I love my Yamaha and it has just worked no matter what I've asked of her. Cruising, being a huge stereo while we swim, surfing, running the inter-coastal or out in the gulf, she performs perfectly. I really like the look of the 25' Scarabs, but they are fighting an uphill battle with reliability concerns. I know all boats have them, it's just seemed like they have had them more. Another thing that turned me towards the Yamahas was how much information is available through forums like this. There's not many problems we can't figure out together over the forum. Scarabs will get there someday, but it will take time and dedicated owners to share the info.
  3. Same thought as #1, I would try to test drive each option and see what best suits you. You may find that the lower HP suits you just fine. There is a trade off in fuel economy, and maintenance costs for the SC engines, but you might be the type of guy that has the need for speed. Lol

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have a 21 Yamaha, it seems to be the sweet spot in the line when it comes to storage , people and trailering. I was considering the 24 but it really is only giving you more room in the bow section not in the seating cabin. 24 seems like a lot more boat when trailering and storing. I was ready to get the 24 but Im staying

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi all! Currently on 3rd year with a 2003 sugar sand tango 16ft jetboat. Absolutely love this boat besides the size. Looking to upgrade to a full size Scarab or Yamaha in the next year. I have a couple of questions for you guys.

1. 21ft vs 25ft: which would you get and why? leaning towards the larger one just because of more space and i think better handling in rough water.

2. Scarab vs Yamaha: preference and why? i have been in love with scarabs design and just want to make sure im not missing something. im also used to the reverse gate on the sugar sand which should be like the scarab.

3. 200hp vs 250hp motors: i have no idea on this one. i want to cruise and pull friends/family behind the boat(want wake edition). is the faster speeds worth supercharger rebuild costs? etc. any input welcome.

thanks guys!

1) 25' for the reason you stated, "better handling in rough water"

2) Biased opinion here, but I really do like my 255 Scarab. I agree with Bill D's take on the Scarab brand, so far. Although Scarab seems to be getting better with each model year.

3) I have the twin 200hp (actually rated at 208hp) engines and have seen 51mph before my break in was complete. Haven't had the chance to run her up that high since due to the chop on my lake. I'm sure Yamaha's engine are more than adequate but i just enjoy that thrill that i get from the Scarab engines.

Just my opinion...

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Been a couple times already I wished I had more room than my current 21 ft boat. That 255 is a nice looking boat. I always opt for more hp, but that's just me.

For the Rotax engines, both the 200 and 250 motors have the same supercharger rebuild service required. There is a difference between the superchargers but the kit is the same. The 155 motors, 310hp total, do not have the superchargers and would only require oil changes.

McTwisted

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congrats on your planned upgrade!

1. I recommend finding a boat show where you and your family can get on a few of each model that you are thinking of. The biggest boat is always nice, but it takes more to store, more to tow, and can be a bit more challenging to handle. I have always been impressed with the amount of space that the 19 and 21' jet boats offer.
  2. I love my Yamaha and it has just worked no matter what I've asked of her. Cruising, being a huge stereo while we swim, surfing, running the inter-coastal or out in the gulf, she performs perfectly. I really like the look of the 25' Scarabs, but they are fighting an uphill battle with reliability concerns. I know all boats have them, it's just seemed like they have had them more. Another thing that turned me towards the Yamahas was how much information is available through forums like this. There's not many problems we can't figure out together over the forum. Scarabs will get there someday, but it will take time and dedicated owners to share the info.
  3. Same thought as #1, I would try to test drive each option and see what best suits you. You may find that the lower HP suits you just fine. There is a trade off in fuel economy, and maintenance costs for the SC engines, but you might be the type of guy that has the need for speed. Lol
Thank you for the input! Speed is great. But my 5 yo girl isn't a fan. Haha

McTwisted

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Been a couple times already I wished I had more room than my current 21 ft boat. That 255 is a nice looking boat. I always opt for more hp, but that's just me.

For the Rotax engines, both the 200 and 250 motors have the same supercharger rebuild service required. There is a difference between the superchargers but the kit is the same. The 155 motors, 310hp total, do not have the superchargers and would only require oil changes.
Ok. Thanks for the info!

McTwisted

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
1) 25' for the reason you stated, "better handling in rough water"

2) Biased opinion here, but I really do like my 255 Scarab. I agree with Bill D's take on the Scarab brand, so far. Although Scarab seems to be getting better with each model year.

3) I have the twin 200hp (actually rated at 208hp) engines and have seen 51mph before my break in was complete. Haven't had the chance to run her up that high since due to the chop on my lake. I'm sure Yamaha's engine are more than adequate but i just enjoy that thrill that i get from the Scarab engines.

Just my opinion...
My heart says scarab. Lol. But my brain says Yamaha. I'd get the scarab lemon and ruin my taking to jet boats.

McTwisted

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

McTwisted

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 21 Yamaha, it seems to be the sweet spot in the line when it comes to storage , people and trailering. I was considering the 24 but it really is only giving you more room in the bow section not in the seating cabin. 24 seems like a lot more boat when trailering and storing. I was ready to get the 24 but Im staying
It's a hard call man.

McTwisted

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Research yesterday shows the closest scarab dealer is in Chattanooga TN( a couple hrs drive). Closest Yamaha dealer is about 30 mins. That's pretty huge I think. Warranty issues......

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ive gotten 47 mph out of my SX210 and that's fast enough for me and all the people we go out with. Have a blast pulling tons of people tubing (have had 2 adults and 3 kids on tube at same time with no issue pulling). The 21' is the perfect size to fit in my garage in winter (24' would not fit length wise with trailer). Plenty of storage room for all of us. Absolutely love the clean out ports as they have really come in handy at least 10 times sucking up pine needles and other gunk. When we bought ours we were lucky to have some rough waters on the test drives so we got to see chop and handle of the different sizes. For us the 19' was too bumpy and too small in bow area. 21 and 24 felt perfect for size. 24 felt slightly better for bow size and also for handling chop. Slightly quieter engines also. In the end we loved the 21' almost as much and it was a HUGE upgrade at least for us over the 19' and worth the $$ difference. But the 24 to us was just not worth dropping the extra 20-25k on as the 21 was the sweet spot. There are tons of people that love the 19' as well though! Loved the look of the 242 Limited SE black and red boat but just wasn't worth the $$ difference for our needs. But it's one sweet boat for sure. We have had a blast the last couple summers in the 21'. Good luck on your decision and look forward to hearing about your fun on the water and seeing some pictures!

Attachments

Last edited:

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in the same situation as you a couple years ago having a 19' I/O and looking at new jets. I'll admit I liked the fit and finish much better on the chaps and scarabs and the much higher horsepower but when comparing prices I got a lot more with the Yamaha. A lot of items that are standard on the Yamaha are options on the others so add it all up when comparing the brands. Also I wanted one company for warranty issues. The Yamaha is all Yamaha, no quibbling over whose problem it is which I've seen here a few times with other brands. Clean out ports, which have saved a few people here. On my 3rd year with our yammi and no issues, at least nothing that has kept us off the water, a few minor loose nut and bolts but nothing requiring a trip to the dealer. I always hear people say buy the biggest boat you can not afford. No ones ever been out on the water thinking I wish I bought the smaller boat. A couple years later it will cost a LOT more to upgrade for the 3 extra feet than buying it first.

McTwisted

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ive gotten 47 mph out of my SX210 and that's fast enough for me and all the people we go out with. Have a blast pulling tons of people tubing (have had 2 adults and 3 kids on tube at same time with no issue pulling). The 21' is the perfect size to fit in my garage in winter (24' would not fit length wise with trailer). Plenty of storage room for all of us. Absolutely love the clean out ports as they have really come in handy at least 10 times sucking up pine needles and other gunk. When we bought ours we were lucky to have some rough waters on the test drives so we got to see chop and handle of the different sizes. For us the 19' was too bumpy and too small in bow area. 21 and 24 felt perfect for size. 24 felt slightly better for bow size and also for handling chop. Slightly quieter engines also. In the end we loved the 21' almost as much and it was a HUGE upgrade at least for us over the 19' and worth the $$ difference. But the 24 to us was just not worth dropping the extra 20-25k on as the 21 was the sweet spot. There are tons of people that love the 19' as well though! Loved the look of the 242 Limited SE black and red boat but just wasn't worth the $$ difference for our needs. But it's one sweet boat for sure. We have had a blast the last couple summers in the 21'. Good luck on your decision and look forward to hearing about your fun on the water and seeing some pictures!
Thanks for the input. I definitely need to get behind the wheel on both to see and feel the difference. I've decided to go Yamaha at least based on dealer location and reliability discussed in this forum. Other big changes in my life will also affect where it will be stored so this purchase may be put on hold. For now, the 16 ft sugar sand at least gets me on the water!

McTwisted

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was in the same situation as you a couple years ago having a 19' I/O and looking at new jets. I'll admit I liked the fit and finish much better on the chaps and scarabs and the much higher horsepower but when comparing prices I got a lot more with the Yamaha. A lot of items that are standard on the Yamaha are options on the others so add it all up when comparing the brands. Also I wanted one company for warranty issues. The Yamaha is all Yamaha, no quibbling over whose problem it is which I've seen here a few times with other brands. Clean out ports, which have saved a few people here. On my 3rd year with our yammi and no issues, at least nothing that has kept us off the water, a few minor loose nut and bolts but nothing requiring a trip to the dealer. I always hear people say buy the biggest boat you can not afford. No ones ever been out on the water thinking I wish I bought the smaller boat. A couple years later it will cost a LOT more to upgrade for the 3 extra feet than buying it first.
Yep. Decided I'd go with Yamaha because of what you stated and the dealership/service locations. Just have to test drive them and few other happenings that need to pan out!