• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adventurous Day

Gap22

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got caught in a fast moving storm. Tried to beat it to the ramp. Got the trailer in position. My hat blew off - gone but not forgotten. Too rough to get on the trailer after three tries. Sucked something up. Told the wife to get in the truck and pull off. Went to deeper water to clear the port. Yanked out half my erstwhile hat. Picked up the wife quickly at the dock and ran across the lake to the one semi clear spot in a protected creek to wait it out. 45 minutes later it was calm as glass and we went back, got safely trailered up. Pretty hairy for a while. Not a scratch on either the boat or my wife thankfully. Actually wanted the wife to stay in the truck but she's too damn stubborn.

That can happen in Southwest Florida this time of year too. You have to have your head on a swivel watching the cloud formations and wind as afternoon comes around.

Glad you guys are no worse for wear......

Yeah. Should have just run for it from the start.

I hear ya. Out ran a storm yesterday. Luckily I was going to to my marina slip not to a ramp to retrieve

Not always clear whether you should run, hide, or try to get to the ramp to get out. You do the best you can with the info at hand.

Glad you made it ok, and it sounds like you have some good experience from which to draw, now.

The main thing I learned aside from leave sooner, is don't sink the trailer so deep. If I'd been a little shallower it might have held.

...and take your hat of while retrieving!

The main thing I learned aside from leave sooner, is don't sink the trailer so deep. If I'd been a little shallower it might have held.
Do you have guide posts....they help a ton with centering in wind, currents and waves.

I have learned over the decades if you feel the temperature drop and the wind change directions you have about 20 to 30 minutes max to get the hell out of there and be loaded up or at least find shelter someplace safe.

Yeah, we knew to get gone but the ramp was sideways to the wind, current and 3-4 foot waves. That's why we ultimately decided to run for shelter. The cove we went to was flat calm and protected from all of it.

Back