• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Almost sank, water possibly in engine. HELP!

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I would definitely disagree. That's not a valid reason to discourage against BRP propulsion plants.
Going forward from at least 2008 BRP changed the carbon seal to a larger one.
My 3 BRP platforms have been trouble free for years. @ 100 hours I performed the required maint on the RXP which includes driveshaft maint, and carbon seal inspection. It was clear that the driveshaft was due for spline lube, and I electively replaced the carbon seal, boot, and the other parts while in there. Engine mounts are critical too, if not checked seasonally, and there is excess movement, or broken this will directly impact the carbon seal and it's ability to seal.

Capture.JPG

My Exact PWC. This one sank due to worn engine mount.

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would definitely disagree. That's not a valid reason to discourage against BRP propulsion plants.
Going forward from at least 2008 BRP changed the carbon seal to a larger one.
My 3 BRP platforms have been trouble free for years. @ 100 hours I performed the required maint on the RXP which includes driveshaft maint, and carbon seal inspection. It was clear that the driveshaft was due for spline lube, and I electively replaced the carbon seal, boot, and the other parts while in there. Engine mounts are critical too, if not checked seasonally, and there is excess movement, or broken this will directly impact the carbon seal and it's ability to seal.

View attachment 128913

My Exact PWC. This one sank due to worn engine mount.

I have a similiar pic of my 2016 Rxtx 300... i offer my opinion to my friends that ask me , i did buy another seadoo after that incident only because Yamaha didnt offer the steering system i was looking for ...i personally would never risk the cabon seal driveline on a boat where i put my family , ill take the risk because i only ride solo on my pwc ...then there is the lack of a cleanout port on the boats to access the intake grate from the swim platform ...suck up enough seaweed or other debris and you are jumping overboard and going under the boat ,,,no thank you

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are kits to convert carbon seal to a conventional seal+ bearing set up. (It was a common conversion on the 2 strokes, ). It must be frequently greased, or it rusts and breaks off, causing the boat to sink.

The carbon ring does not take grease and was thought off as likely more reliable. No idea why they never went back.
Here's some discussion on it.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Miitch did you get it running?

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Quick update: found the leak. It’s coming out of the little opening on the starboard side of the pump (outside). I have pictures below. Not too sure what that opening does, but when I filled my engine bay up with a hose water started pouring out of this opening. I attached a picture I took, followed by the only picture in the manual showing that opening - of course with no explanation of what it is.
96B08125-AD78-40DE-89C2-523FF4FB97E6.jpeg0AF626DC-2C65-4F69-82C5-3F5940638D18.jpeg17AA0FF2-8E61-4813-A735-4F40F1C72E94.jpeg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is progress. Don't know your boat well enough to tell immediately to where that goes, but obviously you need to look on the other side of the hull to see what is up there.

But first, you need to get the engine running. Any progress there? Oil changed? Plugs pulled? Etc.?

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
That is progress. Don't know your boat well enough to tell immediately to where that goes, but obviously you need to look on the other side of the hull to see what is up there.

But first, you need to get the engine running. Any progress there? Oil changed? Plugs pulled? Etc.?
Plugs pulled and engine started. No water shooting up... so that means there was no water in the engine??? Next task is to change the oil.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, no water in the air side of the engine. Now to check the oil side. But no water on the air/exhaust/cylinder is a very positive development.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Update: found the problem. Just going to post in case other sea doo users have the same problem.

no carbon seal issue. Issue was exhaust hose came off. Water got into the engine bay from the exhaust port. The hole above I posted later found out was the exhaust exit (and also intake for the exhaust cooling which used raw water). Pictured below is the inside of the engine compartment, exhaust tubing came off from the exit manifold. Probably due to a big wave that we hit the other day. Of course, I took a hose to this opening and water cane rushing out the exhaust port.

no water in engine thankfully. Oil will be changed and hose clamps will be replaced.
2B335F73-E94B-4A23-A7DC-2298BBECB23B.jpeg83A39D4C-8D03-4431-90A6-B7EA74079C79.jpeg

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
glad you found problem
good idea to double check clamps
i carry extra jik

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
glad you found problem
good idea to double check clamps
i carry extra jik
Heading out right now to buy a new set and an additional two. Also picking up some oil and a filter. Hopefully have this thing running tonight.

I also like the idea of the carbon seal conversion kit.. mine isn’t broken but I think I’m definitely going to do that conversion before next season.. @Beachbummer

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It has it drawbacks if not greased
DS will lock up and rip hull thru fitting

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Heading out right now to buy a new set and an additional two. Also picking up some oil and a filter. Hopefully have this thing running tonight.

I also like the idea of the carbon seal conversion kit.. mine isn’t broken but I think I’m definitely going to do that conversion before next season.. @Beachbummer
Glad you figured it all out!!!

Now some tips....

When you put the boat in, always open the engine hatch to 1) sniff for fumes, but 2) to look for anything amiss....like water coming in when its not supposed to.

I repeat the above at the end of the day if I remember....good way to keep tabs on what up in the engine compartment.

I had a bilge alarm on my old boat....I will be adding one on my new one....its cheap and helps inform you early if you have a water issue.

And post more photos of where you boat!!! We love photos! :)

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Glad you figured it all out!!!

Now some tips....

When you put the boat in, always open the engine hatch to 1) sniff for fumes, but 2) to look for anything amiss....like water coming in when its not supposed to.

I repeat the above at the end of the day if I remember....good way to keep tabs on what up in the engine compartment.

I had a bilge alarm on my old boat....I will be adding one on my new one....its cheap and helps inform you early if you have a water issue.

And post more photos of where you boat!!! We love photos! :)
I appreciate that!! I actually saw your thread (I think?) on your bilge alarm.. I really like that idea. Might have to do one myself.

just got back from parts shopping. My Mother was already bugging as to when it will be finished so she can go for a ride. Figures... the same woman who threatened to “divorce” my Father if he bought another Boat, is now eager to ride on mine 😂 oh how things change... just glad I was able to make the purchase. If it has been my fathers boat, it would have most certainly be a john boat with a little tiller. Less work, maybe. more fun, no way!

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
So I think all is good, oil is changed and no water in the engine. However, I think I may have flooded my engine with fuel while starting It with no plugs to get water out? Is this even possible?

when I pull the spark plugs and crank it, not a drop shoots up, but there’s a strong gasoline smell. When I try and run it for a few seconds with the plugs in, it sounds like it will almost crank to life, but then stops instantly. Keeps doing the same thing.

is it possible to flood the engine with fuel while cranking it plug- less, and how does one fix this lol.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is possible. You could crank a little bit with throttle open to allow more air to clear the fuel.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I think all is good, oil is changed and no water in the engine. However, I think I may have flooded my engine with fuel while starting It with no plugs to get water out? Is this even possible?

when I pull the spark plugs and crank it, not a drop shoots up, but there’s a strong gasoline smell. When I try and run it for a few seconds with the plugs in, it sounds like it will almost crank to life, but then stops instantly. Keeps doing the same thing.

is it possible to flood the engine with fuel while cranking it plug- less, and how does one fix this lol.
I would pull the plugs and let the fuel evaporate. Then reinstall new plugs

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Glad that you seem to have avoided a catastrophe, I’m gonna check all of the hose clamps on my boat ASAP.

Dan

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Glad that you seem to have avoided a catastrophe, I’m gonna check all of the hose clamps on my boat ASAP.

Dan
HIGHLY recommend checking all your hose clamps, especially your exhaust. That’s where mine failed. One big wave slammed us down a little too hard apparently.