• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Am I doing somthing wrong? Can't hold a straight line!

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I previously had the original cobras on my boat. Any time I was cruising down a channel in a no wake zone I was constantly going left/right with the wheel. I could not find center for more than a few seconds. I just upgraded to the ultimates and went out on Sunday expecting the new fins to help correct my issue... To my surprise nothing changed?? All day long while cruising at no wake speeds I was right/left on the wheel like I was confused where I wanted to go!

This leads to my question, am I doing something else wrong? I have a 2010 so I don't think I have that new TDE feature on the boat. When driving in No Wake zones should I have the boat in Neutral and then power up the RPM via the no wake mode button OR should I nudge the throttles up to the first lowest setting and bump the RPMs down via the no wake button?

I can live with this issue, I just wanted to make sure I am not the one causing the issue and it could be corrected. Side note, I did not stager the outside Cobras as I read this after the boat is up on the slip! Not sure if that make a huge difference or not.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Nathan, you should check the alignment on the nozzles to see if they are what's making the wheel fight you. Having one jet out of alignment can do what you are describing.

Also, having one engine revving higher than the other can do that too.

I have a "Classic" (gotta love that spin on Old Boat) and I have an old set of Cobrajet Fins (from the first case of empties hammered into fins by Jeff!) and I do not have that magic button on the dash for No Wake Speed.
I typically leave the wheel perfectly straight while going through a No Wake Zone. I use the throttles to steer. Nudge one up or down to move the bow left or right. Small increments until you get to the point where the only thing affecting the direction of the boat is wind or drift. You may have to use the wheel to correct depending on intensity of wind or current.

thanks for the tip @Glassman I will look into the alignment next time I'm down at the lake. Can anyone give me direction on the following?

I have a 2010 so I don't think I have that new TDE feature on the boat. When driving in No Wake zones should I have the boat in Neutral and then power up the RPM via the no wake mode button OR should I nudge the throttles up to the first lowest setting and bump the RPMs down via the no wake button?

Not sure I understand your question about being in neutral or not. If the boat is in neutral it isn't going to move. In a no wake zone, binnacles at the 1st detent and then use the no wake mode to increase RPM to the no wake speed desired. Also, be careful not to over steer...if you keep going back and forth you go serpentine. Hold the center line and make very small adjustments.

Agree with Julian...small adjustments. the boat will naturally sway side to side a little without you correcting. I will sometimes, in tight tight marinas, turn on the No Wake and pull my throttles just an inch back out of the first indent. Slows up the forward motion to about the same as idle, but the higher volume through the partially shut gate help steering response.
Anybody else do this?

Maybe my gates need adjusted then??? If it is in neutral it still moves forward very slowly. If I start tapping the + button on the now wake mode it increases the RPMs and I start moving at slow no wake speed. If I shift into the first indent forward and then tap the - no wake button a few times it keeps me at no wake speed but a little faster than the fastest neutral no wake speed. Sorry that sounds way confusing! But in my head... not so much. I fought my self all day on sunday wondering if I was cruising in the wrong no wake setting.

As for the over correction, I will focus on that. I am SURE I was over correcting in both directions. Still getting the feel for everything. Thanks for all the help.

@Lspeedss I think what you are saying is my starting point instead of how you pull back to the idle with no wake mode help.

I was doing that back and forth thing at no wake also. The way I solved it was to stop drinking until I got to the open water. :) Really though, I am in the same transition from the old Cobras to the new ultimates. I'm expecting some of that wandering to subside with the new fins but do expect I'll have to stay on top of it with small corrections as before.

I just put the controls in forward and hit the no wake buttons. From there it takes only slight steering inputs to guide the boat from there.

Throttling up with the controls in neutral won't really give you any predictable control of the boat.

Agree with Julian...small adjustments. the boat will naturally sway side to side a little without you correcting. I will sometimes, in tight tight marinas, turn on the No Wake and pull my throttles just an inch back out of the first indent. Slows up the forward motion to about the same as idle, but the higher volume through the partially shut gate help steering response.
Anybody else do this?

x2

I'm with @GiddYupJoe While I'm in no wake mode, if I stop paying attention to where I am going for only a second the boat will go off one way or another pretty quickly. If I let go of the wheel in no wake mode the boat will simply spin in circles. Maybe my gates are off a little bit.

This really is the only downside that I have experienced with the jets vs i/o. On our old i/o if you put it in forward she would stay straight as an arrow even if you never touched the wheel. Living and boating so close to downtown Cincinnati it was nice to take people out for a slow cruise down the riverfront. This boat wanders so much at no wake that it is almost impossible to do that. I have even actually considered fabricating some kind of big ass rudder that I could mount to the rear table mount on the swim platform just to keep the boat straight at no wake speed.

I have fins and my bow wanders left and right at no wake speed but generally stays the course if you don't input any counter steering. I drive a 12' RIB with an outboard that does the same thing, I think it's directly related to how much wet surface area you have in comparison to how much rudder area.

I have fins and my bow wanders left and right at no wake speed but generally stays the course if you don't input any counter steering. I drive a 12' RIB with an outboard that does the same thing, I think it's directly related to how much wet surface area you have in comparison to how much rudder area.

Next time we go out, I will have to try just holding the steering wheel straight and seeing if the boat will come back and forth while mostly staying the course. I think I have always just tried to counter steer, and I am probably making the problem worse.

Yes that is your problem. It takes some time to get used to not doing what your brain tells you to do! It's a natural reaction while driving a car but the oversteer in a jetboat will cause trouble.

@Volffas sometimes I feel like I am driving a drift car around a race track! I read somewhere else that someone put a piece of electrical tape around the steering wheel at cernter. I think I may try that also as my wheel is turnded to the right somewhat at center.

Just relax. See where it takes you.

Maybe it was windy?

@Cory it was rather windy on Sunday. I remember thinking to myself WOW this thing blows around like a kite. Even w/o the bimini put up. Im sure it will just take some getting used to. All the advice here will atleast point me in a direction to figure things out.

Wind really affects my boat with these high sides.

@GiddYupJoe , I agree with @Murf'n'surf for the most part. I say for the most part because sometimes the "wander" is because of a little less drag one side or the other, or because you have two pumps turning the same direction and causing the heading drift. You can't however "hold heading" in a jet boat near as easy as something with a rudder. With fins, you should be able to hold "track" much easier, with the wandering accepted as normal. But it sounds to me like you are fighting it.

A quick reminder about what I am sure you already know but just considering all of it again sometimes helps to slow your responses to certain conditions and increase them to others. Because you do not have a true rudder and because it takes "some thrust" to actually turn the boat, you must change the direction of the nozzles to force the back end (stern) of the boat over to get the desired heading. So considering you must have some thrust to move the stern and change a heading, and considering that if your in neutral on your throttles, you are messing up the direction of the thrust completely. All of these boats drift in neutral. No exceptions. It isn't possible to stop them from drifting completely. Because you still have impellers turning and forcing water out the nozzles, even if at idle. Neutral is only the position of the reverse gate hanging partially over the nozzle, and deflecting some water forward and some water rearward. But the water that is blocked by the reverse gate, is actually coming up and hitting under the deck above the nozzles and creating turbulence. It is not possible to really be in neutral. Most of these boats, from the factory, will drift forward slightly in neutral. You have zero steering control in neutral. So if your trying to move in neutral, just because it wants to move forward, and have any directional capability in neutral, your literally swimming upstream.

The best control you will have, is throttles in the first detent forward of neutral, the lowest "no wake mode" setting, and try to keep from turning the wheel. Consider a 10 to 15 second lag from what you input until when you see it in heading change. So any secondary change you make to heading prior to seeing the results of the previous heading change is going to not be seen for the same amount of delay. I may be exaggerating the length of the delay, but it is LONG! Driving these vessels with authority is a "learned skill", not second nature. But if you just take an hour to practice this, it will be a skill you have! Do it on a calm day, open water, and pick a point on the horizon to track to. Put the bow on the point and keep it there with the absolute minimum amount of input to the wheel that you can do. Yes, your going to chase it at times...but that is because you set up the occilation by over controlling. In the flying world...it is PIO (pilot induced occilation). And it is over control. Over control gets bigger and bigger as you get farther behind with your input compared to what the boat is lagging to do. So you literally have to stop because you are making it worse. And getting the wheel centered is the biggest obstacle. Where is center? Well, center the wheel and look at the nozzles when on the trailer. You don't need a straightedge or measure the nozzles. There is so much slack and slop in the nozzles that you don't need to worry with any of that. (different if were talking about a pull at higher speeds) Just put the heading on the horizon or point on shore, and stop chasing to hold it. Practice that. If you have to correct, move the wheel an inch or two and then back to where neutral was. Always return the wheel to a neutral or no turn position. Don't leave it in the turn until you see a turn, and then turn past neutral the other way to stop the turn. Just small corrections and keep the wheel in neutral position most of the time.

Back to the throttles. Don't chase them either in the longer axis boats like a 240/242. Place them in forward idle, not neutral, and move forward. Feathering the throttles between forward idle and neutral is something that can slow your speed, but it also reduces your directional control. Doing this to increase directional control is something that guys started doing to see if they could produce the same result as the "TDE" that Yamaha put on later boats. I would call this feathering of the throttles to enhance control an advanced maneuver. It is more important that you gain confidence and control of the boat in the majority of conditions and situations you face everyday. Tweaking that as you have mastered control is ok, but putting band aids on something you haven't yet mastered won't help you master it. Some guys will tell you to use "no wake mode" to load your boat. Don't do it. You are locking your thrust in a setting that needs to be able to change when you need to change it. Yes, thrust is steering. but when your loading or docking, you MUST be more proactive than just holding a heading. You can't accept hitting something and you have to MAKE IT HAPPEN, not HOPE IT HAPPENS. So deliberate thrusts and wheel positions to correct drift and counteract wind and wave influence is paramount. And those changes will be fluid and not constant. Practice is the key Nathan, and you will be an expert in short order!

I've experienced this a couple of times, but I'm wondering if the tde position helps more than I knew and perhaps I was in the 2nd detent not the tde detent. When it was happening I did notice if I just let it wander it would come back. My I/O stingray did this as well once I put on smart tabs (sx trim tabs) it did it less. I wonder if anyone has put those on a Yamaha?

Back