• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp not turning on my ar250

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I replaced the factory stock amp HTX 4 with a HTX6 amp. I tested the new amp as working. During installation I forgot to turn the main battery off and both the power wires (that go into the amp ) touched and sparks flew. These power wires are not connected to the amp but lying free. After that I switched off the battery mains and connected the amp. But the amp would not turn on now. There is no power flowing into the amp. I verified with both amps with same result. I touched the power wires together for an instant to see if soaks will come but none. I opened the fuse box next to the main battery switched and checked the fuses and they seem okay. The connext works but jo power to amp. How do I troubleshoot this ?

thanks
Amar

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with the factory wiring, but there is probably a fuse dedicated to the amo and it may not be in the fuse box.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I also have a connext system and a dedicated amp fuse. Mine is located in the engine compartment behind the fuse panel in the battery compartment. You have a Seadoo, so no idea where is would be. But it's big and stand alone, so you should be able to find it no problem.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I also have a connext system and a dedicated amp fuse. Mine is located in the engine compartment behind the fuse panel in the battery compartment. You have a Seadoo, so no idea where is would be. But it's big and stand alone, so you should be able to find it no problem.
Thanks Robbie. Can you send me a picture of where your amp fuse is. Mine is a ar250. Thanks

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Are you talking about this ? I replaced all the fuses here. No luck. Amp would still not power on. So I think I might not have found the amp fuse yet.

Attachments

Last edited:

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Are you talking about this ? I replaced all the fuses here.
So if you open up the rear seat hatch, mine is immediately on the upper right behind the fuse panel in your picture.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Which one in the picture Robbie ? Thanks

Attachments

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Not in those pics....you have a 252 so probably in a different location...mine is an in line fuse between the battery pos+ and the amp, in the engine comp....mine is a 212SE

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Are you talking about this ? I replaced all the fuses here. No luck. Amp would still not power on. So I think I might not have found the amp fuse yet.
On my boat, it's mounted on the opposite side of your battery switch. The amp power runs directly to the battery switch, so follow a rd lead that goes into the engine comp. Again, I have a different boat, but probably wired similar.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Use a DMM and start checking the wires. Is ground good? Is power? Is remote? Use DMM to start checking continuity in fuses.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Does the head unit come on?
Did you connect the remote wire to the amp(usually blue and/or blue&white wire).
Did you check the fuses on the Amp itself?
Yes. All done. I ran a separate power cable from battery to amp and it fires up, connext turns the amp on and sound comes. I narrowed it down to the original red wire issue. Might have burnt off somewhere as I can’t find any fuse. For now I ran an auxiliary cable from the blue sea distribution block to make it work.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes. All done. I ran a separate power cable from battery to amp and it fires up, connext turns the amp on and sound comes. I narrowed it down to the original red wire issue. Might have burnt off somewhere as I can’t find any fuse. For now I ran an auxiliary cable from the blue sea distribution block to make it work.
My amp cables hav dedicated in line fuses.....bet they are there....just hiding well!

proplessdancer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
probably fried the original wiring when it shorted out. ive seen wires completely start on fire from that sort of thing. be sure to put an inline fuse on the new power cable. better to blow a 0.25 fuse than expensive amp

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Did you check your owners manual for fuse locations?

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
probably fried the original wiring when it shorted out. ive seen wires completely start on fire from that sort of thing. be sure to put an inline fuse on the new power cable. better to blow a 0.25 fuse than expensive amp
That’s exactly what I did

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Did you check your owners manual for fuse locations?
Couldn’t find it in the manual for the amp. Whatever fuses are present in the fuse box , I replaced every fuse

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
One thing I noticed is that the wiring (speakers were as well as power cables) are not tinned and this surprised me. It’s pure copper and I fear I will have to replace all wiring in a few years. I am surprised Yamaha used all copper wiring.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
One thing I noticed is that the wiring (speakers were as well as power cables) are not tinned and this surprised me. It’s pure copper and I fear I will have to replace all wiring in a few years. I am surprised Yamaha used all copper wiring.
It's not an issue.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Couldn’t find it in the manual for the amp. Whatever fuses are present in the fuse box , I replaced every fuse
If the wires you touched were 2,4,6 or 8 gauge, there is an inline maxi fuse somewhere. The fuse panel would not be able to handle the amperage. You'll find it. Maybe call the dealer or Yamaha Customer relations. You can ask a tech there. 1-800-962-7926.