• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anchor suggestions for lake water?

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat-AR240
Area-TN lakes

I've been using a 15lb mushroom anchor but the boat still likes to move around like a frisbee floating on water.

Maybe buy a 2nd anchor for rear of the boat? What are you lake guys using to keep the boat stationary while swimming?

Gotta put out plenty of scope too, usually three to one for starters...

What kind of bottom do you have where you boat?

I suggest adding chain if you do not already have it. I used 3/8ths G30 zinc plated chain from a hardware store. I have 5' on each of my anchor ropes. It adds about 1.5 pounds of weight and costs around $4 per foot. The chain helps to tip the anchor over causing it to dig in.

The other big improvement for any anchor is to use an Anchor Buddy. The Anchor Buddy takes the shock off of the anchor greatly reducing the amount of anchor that you need. Last year my anchor pulled loose several times. I have not had it happen using the anchor buddy. I keep a river similar to your mushroom anchor under a seat to use as a stern anchor. I also have a very nice box anchor in my garage. I use a light danforth anchor that fits in the anchor locker with the Anchor Buddy as my main anchor. I have used it in muddy, sandy and rocky conditions this year.

My final suggestion is to make sure that you use enough scope (rope). The scope needs to be a multiple of the depth.

scope is ratio of rope to depth.

Example: Scope of 3:1 means you have 30 feet of rope for 10 feet of depth.

3:1 is ok for a Box anchor, but you need more like 5 (or more) scope for a Fluke anchor

Last edited:
I really should have read the original question better. With a single anchor your boat will swing in the wind. It may even spin a complete circle around the anchor. A stern anchor will help to keep it in one place.

I normally use only the bow anchor while swimming and let it spin in the wind. When we stop at an island I will throw the stern anchor out or tie the rope to a tree to keep the boat anchored. The anchor buddy still allows it to move a few feet in response to wind or waves then it returns the original position.

Like @Bruce I had to re-read the OP. After I saw "mushroom anchor", my autopilot hit page down and was going to start typing "no wonder your boat isn't staying put!".

If it's just while you're swimming around the boat, or if it's for when you're leaving your boat in the same location for a few hours... your anchoring should dig or wedge into the lakebed. Box anchor (mentioned above) or fluke/plow style anchors are your best bet for a bow anchor.

I'm not familiar with the lakes in TN... how deep are you usually in and what type of structure is on the bottom of the lake? If it's anything other than super thick weeds and tree structure, your mushroom will never hold. If you want to keep your boat in a fixed location, then you need to have a very well *SET* bow anchor and then some tension against the bow anchor line (either from river flow or stern tension).

When I'm stopping in a bay to dork around in the water, I'll usually set my danforth anchor off the bow (because I know I can set that w/ quite a bit of scope), then I'll let out a little line and back up past where I want the boat to be... then I'll drop a box anchor off the stern and fix it to the windward cleat. then I'll pull forward (letting stern slack out and pulling bow slack in) until the boat is where I want it. Then I cleat hitch the lines and we play in the water.

Usually I'll only do this previously mentioned ordeal if there is some wind or if I'm close enough in a bay that the boat might be able to run aground with how much line I've let out. Otherwise I just use the bow anchor and let the boat spin on its axis based on the wind.

All this said, I have been thinking of getting a grapple buddy (or some type of throwable grapnel).

Ok, I'm ordering the one above. Thanks. I've owned 10 different boats during my life, but these jet boats are unique and things I've used in the past doesn't always work on the shallow draft/lite weight Yamaha's.

Appreciate everyone taking the time & replying to my post.

Well I had to look up to see what mine was called. I always thought it was a mushroom anchor but it is actually a river anchor. Similar but it has a few "pie slices" taken out of it. See here http://boatanchortypes.com/

I boat in muddy/clay bottoms. I use this one in the calm coves as it is easier to get to. It has held firm every time. I also have a box anchor I will use in rougher, more open water.

Ok, I'm ordering the one above. Thanks. I've owned 10 different boats during my life, but these jet boats are unique and things I've used in the past doesn't always work on the shallow draft/lite weight Yamaha's.

Appreciate everyone taking the time & replying to my post.

Personally I do not believe that the Digger Anchor will do anything more for your boat than a $30 danforth that would hang in the anchor locker would. Both should hold your boat in place with chain and sufficient scope.

I am not suggesting that the Digger Anchor is not a good anchor just that a simple danforth or fluke anchor will do as well for 1/3rd the cost.

Last edited:
After looking at it closer I agree.

Personally I do not believe that the Digger Anchor will do anything more for your boat than a $30 danforth that would hang in the anchor locker would. Both should hold your boat in place with chain and sufficient scope.

I am not suggesting that the Digger Anchor is not a good anchor just that a simple danforth or fluke anchor will do as well for 1/3rd the cost.

Yeah, maybe. I upgraded from a small danforth that would often drift on me a bit. Granted, this was before I read up on scope recommendations, chains, etc., but I only ever anchored in shallow water (<20') so even then I was likely throwing out enough line.

My experience with the digger anchor is that wherever it hits bottom, that's where it stays. Others can obviously do the same and if I had a special locker onboard that only fit a certain type, that would certainly be a consideration.

Love my box anchor! Only anchor I've ever had that sticks no matter what, and requires less scope (rope) than any anchor I've used.

When anchoring around other boats, you don't want to drop a stern anchor if the wind is shifting - because if the wind shifts and your boat stays put, other boats might swing into your boat.

Yeah, I am a box anchor fan...just doesn't get better. But one thing to take into account @Aces_Over_Kings or anyone else too, scope is a ratio of depth to the amount of rode (anchor line) you put out. If you are in very shallow water, this will be a bad way to set scope. Because in shallow water, you would only need maybe 12 or 15 feet of scope and that just isn't enough when your battling wind and waves, especially when the boats are throwing wakes at you constantly near shore. So you may have to just put out 50 to 75 feet of scope even in 5 feet of water at the bow and 2 feet at the stern, even with a shore spike or line. Because when you anchor astern to shore, you are not weathervaning in the wind and you put a side load on both the bow and stern anchors, and they don't do well with a side load. The more rode you put out, the more load you can handle. So when stern to the beach, shorten the stern line and increase the bow line big time...you will have much better luck, no matter what anchor you use.

Back