• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchors & Anchoring

Skyhawk223

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Anchored for the first time yesterday. Dropped the anchor in about 6 feet of water then unintentionally dragged the anchor closer to shore to about 4 ft of water where it finally set. Tried to tie the stern off to my sand spike but brought the stern too close to shore, so ended up being parallel to the shore. I was the only boat "parallel parked" at the beach. Learned some good lessons namely to drop the anchor farther out before approaching the shore.20210711_144416.jpg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
^^^ In that scenario I'd shorten the back rope a little and move the anchor more towards your right.

A common place I anchor rips pretty hard, so I have reset or adjust anchors several times before I get the boat how I want it. And then I have to move it out for low tide lol.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@adrianp89 Around here you would be embarrassed to show up at the launch with a bass boat without 2 of these on it. :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look's great. Only problem is that they would get in the way for watersports. Wonder if they lay down more toward the front in the collapsed position so that they aren't as tall..... Making it hard not to want to upgrade to a FSH.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Let's great. Only problem is that they would get in the way for watersports. Wonder if they lay down more toward the front in the collapsed position so that they aren't as tall..... Making it hard not to want to upgrade to a FSH.
Maybe if you could make the mounting point pivot 180 degrees, that could work. My buddy put a deposit on a 255FSH.... he sent me the walk around of one they had in the shop and it looked amazing.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anchored for the first time yesterday. Dropped the anchor in about 6 feet of water then unintentionally dragged the anchor closer to shore to about 4 ft of water where it finally set. Tried to tie the stern off to my sand spike but brought the stern too close to shore, so ended up being parallel to the shore. I was the only boat "parallel parked" at the beach. Learned some good lessons namely to drop the anchor farther out before approaching the shore.View attachment 156878
By looking at your rode out front you need to let about 3-4 times as much out for the anchor to hold. With it being that short the bobbing of the boat just pull it the anchor up and out of the material that it's supposed to be digging into.

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have lost 2 anchors so far this year, one I forgot to even tie a rope to it, the other time the rope broke. I now buy anchors in quantity!!!!! I wish that there was an easier way. Once/twice a year we like to anchor for concerts on the water, lots of
boats, water is 30-40’ deep there. Pretty tough to put out 100’ of rope when you have 75 boats of varying size anchoring in a space roughly the size of a football field or two. Plus the wife has to be able to lift the anchor up and get it in the boat. Any other ideas?
boats6D29A75B-CFD1-446D-AAFA-93042F79D969.jpeg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Part of the Yamaha JB anchor problem is st00pid Yamaha marketing …. This pic on the accessories front page is prime example of how NOT to deploy an anchor.

View attachment 156867
Totally opposite of the good instructional video by BoatUS. (about to email and shame Yamaha to take this down, it’s dangerous…. Someone here - make some good Memes for this pic)
I wanna see the "Flintstones rope-aroumd-the-ankle" effect! :D

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have lost 2 anchors so far this year, one I forgot to even tie a rope to it, the other time the rope broke. I now buy anchors in quantity!!!!! I wish that there was an easier way. Once/twice a year we like to anchor for concerts on the water, lots of
boats, water is 30-40’ deep there. Pretty tough to put out 100’ of rope when you have 75 boats of varying size anchoring in a space roughly the size of a football field or two. Plus the wife has to be able to lift the anchor up and get it in the boat. Any other ideas?
boatsView attachment 157125
Of all those pictured, I say return them, yes even the sliding ring on the shank Seachoise anchor. I would also get rid of the snap caribeaners. If you need to use them get the locking ones. You will want to lock the shackle pin into place with my preference, seizing wire or zipties as others use, can't believe I just said that. Under that anchoring scenario, I might go with a box anchor. I have not used one, but many here have. I relegated our Seachoise anchor to stern duty and put an 8# galv West Marine danforth style anchor up front with 6' of 1/4" galv. chain. It has never dragged and I have not lost an anchor. What rope are you using that will break? Proper nylon 3-strand rope will stretch and won't break unless chaffed or cut, with the weight of these boats. Your concert anchoring concern is the scope of your rode. It needs to be 3-4:1 min. when you can watch for dragging while onboard. Set it and forget it is 6-7:1. At 40' water depth, that is alot of rode out. Most will not carry that much in the anchor locker.
You could have a "concert anchor" rig of a box anchor that might just hold at 2-3:1 scope with no chain, depending on waves and wakes. All other anchors will need chain to keep the line on the bottom and a longer scope. 40' is too deep to anchor in with 100' of rope out, no chain etc. Movement/bobbing of the boat will unset the anchor under those conditions. But if you are stuck with that, try a box anchor and find a place outside of the anchor locker to stow it. Non of those anchors pictured above will hold under those conditions unless maybe 0 mph wind, no current and flat wave conditions and a couple hundred feet of rode out.

Last edited:

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Of all those pictured, I say return them, yes even the sliding ring on the shank Seachoise anchor. I would also get rid of the snap caribeaners. If you need to use them get the locking ones. You will want to lock the shackle pin into place with my preference, seizing wire or zipties as others use, can't believe I just said that. Under that anchoring scenario, I might go with a box anchor. I have not used one, but many here have. I relegated our Seachoise anchor to stern duty and put an 8# galv West Marine danforth style anchor up front with 6' of 1/4" galv. chain. It has never dragged and I have not lost an anchor. What rope are you using that will break? Proper nylon 3-strand rope will stretch and won't break unless chaffed or cut, with the weight of these boats. Your concert anchoring concern is the scope of your rode. It needs to be 3-4:1 min. when you can watch for dragging while onboard. Set it and forget it is 6-7:1. At 40' water depth, that is alot of rode out. Most will not carry that much in the anchor locker.
You could have a "concert anchor" rig of a box anchor that might just hold at 2-3:1 scope with no chain, depending on waves and wakes. All other anchors will need chain to keep the line on the bottom and a longer scope. 40' is too deep to anchor in with 100' of rope out, no chain etc. Movement/bobbing of the boat will unset the anchor under those conditions. But if you are stuck with that, try a box anchor and find a place outside of the anchor locker to stow it. Non of those anchors pictured above will hold under those conditions unless maybe 0 mph wind, no current and flat wave conditions and a couple hundred feet of rode out.
I have never heard of a box anchor but that is a fairly inexpensive anchor to tr. Thanks.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve just recently started using this anchor..

1CD3EC2D-D4FC-4328-A90B-C8EB0A5A80EA.jpeg
Photo credit: @Jimmers

So far I’ve had great success with this anchor as long as I pay out enough rode. The last time I used it there was significant wind and I had anchored stern into the wind without any slippage.

I started using the anchor to extend the life of my trolling motor battery bank, my onboard battery charger was not charging properly and, using the anchor is more peaceful than R2 as I call it, is not constantly making corrections.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve just recently started using this anchor..

View attachment 157142
Photo credit: @Jimmers

So far I’ve had great success with this anchor as long as I pay out enough rode. The last time I used it there was significant wind and I had anchored stern into the wind without any slippage.

I started using the anchor to extend the life of my trolling motor battery bank, my onboard battery charger was not charging properly and, using the anchor is more peaceful than R2 as I call it, is not constantly making corrections.
How much & how heavy of chain leader do you have on it?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How much & how heavy of chain leader do you have on it?
Just the 5/16” X 6’ pinner chain that came with the 300’ of anchor rode that I ordered… my plan is to increase the chain size to 3/8” and use 10’ of it. I was surprised that this little anchor has held as well as it did.