• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Annoyance: cleanout tray lid shifts/squeaks

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This has been annoying me for a while now. When the cleanout tray lid is stepped on, it shifts and squeaks. The hinge seems to be flexing out away from the fiberglass.

It's not hurting anything, and it works, but it makes the boat seem "cheap". When a guest steps on the boat and then the lid and it moves and makes that noise, they look at me with an "Oops, is that supposed to do that?" look.

Has anyone had this issue and figured out how to fix it?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not sure if yours is the same as mine but Yamaha puts a lot of faith in the hinges carrying the weight of people. I have had to add small rubber blocks between the hull and hatch to take the load off the hinges and their screws. Just a suggestion.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There should be little round rubber bumpers in there from the factory.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's some photos of my cleanout tray inside, and the troublesome hinge. I don't see any rubber bumpers. It seems like the hinge just flexes away from the hull.

IMG_20150524_100651.jpg IMG_20150524_100732.jpg

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks Andy. So it seems like I am missing some parts... that's strange. The parts diagram says that I'd need 6 of them. I'm guessing that I'll need cushions on each side in the corners (bottom of my photo). Does anyone know if you stack 3 of them to get the height, or if there are four more locations that need cushions?

The odd part is that there are absolutely no rub marks or anything on the cleanout tray lid that would show that anything ever rubbed there. I'd think there would be some marks or at least a polished area where the cushions impacted the lid.

Any photos that you guys might have of this area WITH the cushions in would be very helpful!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome, Murf. There's four. Is there another two??

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you need 4 on the clean out hatch and the other 2 are for the anchor locker.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I suggest you add some on the hinge side to support them. I know that 6 years of kids running through the boat have required me to do that.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There is no sign of these on my 232 Limited either and the squeaking drives me crazy. I was thinking of putting those rubber feet in there as I can never seem to throw them away when I used to get them with network switches. Glad to see there is supposed to be something there.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There is no sign of these on my 232 Limited either and the squeaking drives me crazy. I was thinking of putting those rubber feet in there as I can never seem to throw them away when I used to get them with network switches. Glad to see there is supposed to be something there.
Unlike on the 2004-2006, the 2007-2009 does not have any factory rubber feet to support the cleanout hatch. Instead there is a foam seal (much like weather stripping) around the top edge of the cleanout, see item 6 in the picture.

Cleanout hatch parts.jpg

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Unlike on the 2004-2006, the 2007-2009 does not have any factory rubber feet to support the cleanout hatch. Instead there is a foam seal (much like weather stripping) around the top edge of the cleanout, see item 6 in the picture.
Thanks. I can't recall if there is a foam seal or not since I didn't get to take it out this week. I'll check next week.