• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another Spark Plug Question Thread....

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we went out for some Surf n Turf for my birthday last week (same milestone as @Julian ). The surf component of the evening was done behind the boat and then the turf component was on the grill at the front of the boat as we drifted. All in all a pretty good evening. However, as we left the dock the was quite a bit of hesitancy and rebellion by the port engine. I knew it wasn't a fuel issue (you guys already walked me through that a couple of months ago). So I recalled reading that changing the spark plugs resolves many of these types of issues. So, before the next outing (the following day) I changed the plugs on the port engine. Of course she ran like a dream.

So, my question (and forgive me if this is in the manual), should I have changed the plugs in both engines at the same time just to keep them on the same schedule or is it considered okay practice to only change the offending engine's plugs. I did purchase 8 plugs with the intention of swapping them all, but thought I would ask the collective genius for a more informed opinion.

Of course have to have pics...so here is the Turf part of the evening. Bacon wrapped inch and a half thick steaks. Everything tastes better grilled on the boat!

20150730_200339.jpg

Glad that the plugs fixed the issue. I've been in the habit of changing the oil, filters and spark plugs every season. That way it's less likely that issues like yours will occur. I also keep 8 spare plugs on board just in case an issue does pop up while I'm out on the lake. So since you asked, IMHO, I'd change the plugs in the other engine too. ;)

I do the same as @itsdgm. Once a year I change the oil and filters and install the spare set of spark plugs that I have been carrying in the boat in a dry bag with a gap tool. Then I put a new set of spark plugs in the dry bag.

My thinking is that even though the new plugs are not fixing a noticible problem it is very likely that they are making the engine run better than the old ones and I would rather be proactive than have problems on the water.

to me it depends on when the last time you changed them,

the biggest worry I have with the MR-1 engine is the #3 plug getting seized, I change mine every other year but with a great amount of anti seize used,

with that in mind I like keeping everything on the same schedule so if they were already a year or two old I'd change them just to have less to worry about,

and I liked the looks of your birthday dinner !

Change every year...why not?

I run my iridium plugs 4 years. The ones I took out this year looked and ran like new. I didn't notice any RPM differences with the new plugs. Cam.

I think the main reason for changing plugs is because of seizing. Especially around salt water.

What they said.....

I'd change them just so you know that both engines got new plugs at the same time. There is no technical reason you need to do it though. I ran plugs for 3 years and only changed them because I was worried about them seizing. Then changed them one year only to have then engine act up and need changing a year later. So it is really hit and miss on when you need to change them. It isn't expensive....so I try and change them when I change the oil (once a year).

@Scuba_ref Congrats on the milestone birthday!!!!

Thanks everyone. The boat confirmed you combined opinion. Today the starboard side started to exhibit the same symptoms and as I had the plugs on board with me I just replaced them.

Thanks everyone. The boat confirmed you combined opinion. Today the starboard side started to exhibit the same symptoms and as I had the plugs on board with me I just replaced them.

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. The best advice to anyone is to carry a set of spares, the tools to install them and some anti-seize in a zip lock bag on the boat. I've changed plugs while the family sat down to breakfast at a place on the river one morning. By the time I was finished, breakfast was served! :cool:

Back